Convincing friend to consider DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coocookachoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends may not get into med school. She got rejected from one of our state schools last week. And she's still waiting to hear from the other. She's going to make such a great physician, but she has a low MCAT score. (28/29) and she applied late. I really think she should consider applying to DO and MD next year, but when I brought it up to her she brushed it off. She doesn't want to take more than one gap year which is all the more reason to apply DO. How do I convince her
without upsetting her or being too
obvious? I still hope she can make it in this year....

Members don't see this ad.

Well if she wants to reapply MD she's going to have to show improvement. A higher MCAT score and at least 1 significant experience would be a minimum. If she can squeeze that in between when/if she gets another rejection to when the new app cycle opens in June then I guess MD is a decent shot as long as everything else is in line.

I was in the same boat last year. I decided to retake the MCAT, but it was later in the cycle when I got my results, even though the result was amazing, I decided to hold off. The major reason is that I wanted to do it right this time and have a solid app put together carefully and apply early. The average matriculant age for med school is getting close to 25. More mature pre meds with rounded apps are what's pressured over the check list academic ones, even though they have no problem getting in either. It might be better for her to take a year off and get a good clinical job on top of retake the MCAT only if she thinks she can get a 32+, or she can try to cram and rush it in before this cycle gets late. No matter what though it would be idiotic for her to apply late again.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur here. Alas, some people have to hit the tree in the middle of the road, even though they've been warned it's a lot easier to go around the tree.

Well if she wants to reapply MD she's going to have to show improvement. A higher MCAT score and at least 1 significant experience would be a minimum. If she can squeeze that in between when/if she gets another rejection to when the new app cycle opens in June then I guess MD is a decent shot as long as everything else is in line.

I was in the same boat last year. I decided to retake the MCAT, but it was later in the cycle when I got my results, even though the result was amazing, I decided to hold off. The major reason is that I wanted to do it right this time and have a solid app put together carefully and apply early. The average matriculant age for med school is getting close to 25. More mature pre meds with rounded apps are what's pressured over the check list academic ones, even though they have no problem getting in either. It might be better for her to take a year off and get a good clinical job on top of retake the MCAT only if she thinks she can get a 32+, or she can try to cram and rush it in before this cycle gets late. No matter what though it would be idiotic for her to apply late again.

Reactions: 1 user