cookie cutter ECs, how to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wattupdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind when I say over 2 semesters, I plan in applying for Fall 2015 entrance, so I'll be submitting it end of summer 2014, so by "2 semesters", i mean from may 2013-may 2014, so they are not as long term as I'd like them to be. Not sure how much this will matter

50 hrs volunteering with Habitat for Humanity over 2 semesters
30 hours as a Mentor for a kid through a program over 2 semesters
100 hrs clinically volunteering at the same hospital, 10 hrs volunteering in a children s hospital(is this worth putting?)
Officer of a Service Club for 2 semesters, on the committee of another service club for 1 semester, member of 2 other clubs for 4 semesters.
Tutoring and babysitting kids in my neighborhood for 4 years (can i still use it since its unofficial, i just know a lot of neighborhood kids and help them out)
Internship teaching kids science at an underprivileged school for 3 hrs/week for one semester
A photographer for my school newspaper for 2 semesters
I plan to shadow at least 2 MDs before I apply dor ~20 shadowing hours

how do they look? this is all im going to have. is there anything i can do to improve it?? suggestions? too cookie cutter?

Members don't see this ad.

100 hrs clinically volunteering at the same hospital, 10 hrs volunteering in a children s hospital(is this worth putting?)
You can lump these together and say "Hospital Volunteering," then explain in your description.
Officer of a Service Club for 2 semesters, on the committee of another service club for 1 semester, member of 2 other clubs for 4 semesters.
Leadership is good, membership doesn't really matter unless you had significant responsibilities or volunteered as part of those clubs. Look for opportunities to get more involved/ take on more responsibilities so you can demonstrate leadership.
Tutoring and babysitting kids in my neighborhood for 4 years (can i still use it since its unofficial, i just know a lot of neighborhood kids and help them out)
You can use it as long as you can give a contact name & title (e.g. kids' parent). Tutoring and babysitting should be split up (teaching/tutoring is its own category in AMCAS, while babysitting would be either paid non-medical or volunteer non-medical work).

20 is a bit thin, though there isn't a real required minimum.

how do they look? this is all im going to have. is there anything i can do to improve it?? suggestions? too cookie cutter?
You already know what you look like: cookie cutter and a bit weak. Keep up with the volunteering (clinical and nonclinical) through your application cycle to demonstrate continued commitment. If you can start doing research (full-time in summer and continued through school year), that would be very helpful - having absolutely no research experience may be detrimental.

These are NOT "cookie cutter" ECs...they're outstanding!

If you want to add to that, perhaps try EMT, or volunteering in a nursing home?

Keep in mind when I say over 2 semesters, I plan in applying for Fall 2015 entrance, so I'll be submitting it end of summer 2014, so by "2 semesters", i mean from may 2013-may 2014, so they are not as long term as I'd like them to be. Not sure how much this will matter

50 hrs volunteering with Habitat for Humanity over 2 semesters
30 hours as a Mentor for a kid through a program over 2 semesters
Internship teaching kids science at an underprivileged school for 3 hrs/week for one semester
A photographer for my school newspaper for 2 semesters

+1 to Goro, they are good ECs. You encompass a wide range with them, and have some fairly unique experiences (photography in particular). My only recommendation would be double up those shadowing hours from 20 to 40. Its not necessary to, but 40 hours will look better than 20.