Coping with the Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UsagiChan26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are applying to doctoral programs right now, how are you guys coping with the stress from the whole process? I guess I am looking for normalization for myself and for others who are feeling overwhelmed by the application process. I am currently applying to 13 schools and starting to feel the pressure of the deadlines approaching. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and no. On the one hand I've been preparing for this for quite some time and created a spreadsheet to keep me on track. I also did a lot of things early like taking the GRE, created my CV, prepared a writing sample, got a commitment from my letter writers, and had a draft of my SOP. On the other hand I keep thinking I'll forget something or that I could have improved something.

I also find it really annoying that there is no consistency in this entire process. Why can't there be a master application of sorts that all of the programs (not just those within the same state, but all of them nationwide) use so that I don't have to keep typing the same demographic information and basic facts about prior education and such? Why are there still some schools that insist on snail mail LORs? Why can't all of the schools take a pdf of unofficial transcripts and then ask for the official ones when I'm accepted?

Overall I just refuse to be overwhelmed. I set aside specific times for working on this stuff, take breaks, and vent to my mentor or colleagues as needed. Sleep and exercise also do wonders for feeling balanced.

Why can't there be a master application of sorts that all of the programs (not just those within the same state, but all of them nationwide) use so that I don't have to keep typing the same demographic information and basic facts about prior education and such? Why are there still some schools that insist on snail mail LORs? Why can't all of the schools take a pdf of unofficial transcripts and then ask for the official ones when I'm accepted?

This is the holy grail of the application process. Many have tried. Many were lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I just feel like it isn't impossible since all of the schools are literally asking for the same basic info, just in different formats. Students and applicants everywhere just need to band together and convince them this is stupid lol. Couldn't this master application be a work study thing for grad students in some technical field? I'm envisioning an expanded FAFSA of sorts. I can see it now.... one log in, one password, only typing info once, then just selecting all of the schools that I want it to go to, and hitting submit just once!

Take my latest irritation. I just spent a ridiculous amount of time filling in all of my undergrad and grad courses complete with title, dept name, dept number, institution, year, credits, grade, and credit hours into a school's specific form. Why? Probably because they're too lazy to read the transcripts they're making me send which say the exact same thing I just typed in their stupid form. And I'm going to have to do this a couple of more times for different schools of course. *sigh*

Reactions: 1 user
If this stuff bothers you, just wait for all of the other joyful inefficiencies that are part of grad school/grants/prac/internship/etc. It doesn't end and it isn't because us on the other side of it are lazy. There are tons of factors in play and each program has their own institutional policies, legal/employment procedures, and their own departmental requirements to comply with. Get ready for hand calculating matrix algebra because this busy work is easy.

Reactions: 4 users
I had the same thoughts, Pragma. A good question some programs like to ask on interviews is "What do you do for self-care?," to combat this very stress you speak of, OP. Start working on that now because it gets incrementally more difficult as time goes on...and you have to be able to juggle a lot of balls in the air, at once. Like Pragma said, matrix algebra or, in some cases, multivariate calculus...where you have to time limits on reaching your "n"/answer.

Running, yoga, working out, and taking cat naps/good rest have kept me sane.

Personally, I enjoyed calculating algebraic matrices back in junior high :p

But seriously, I'm in a similar situation as Spydra in which I've already gotten most of my application materials already lined up several months in advance, and I really haven't been feeling too stressed at all. Admittedly, this is my 2nd year in a row applying for doctorate clinical psychology programs, so I'm basically making minor revisions and updates to my C.V. and SOP.

And speaking of a "master application" for graduate schools, Physical Therapy schools actually have one called the PTCAS that every single Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program within the U.S. uses for applications. When I applied for DPT programs in 2013, I remember it being a very simple and easy process compared to the convoluted process of applying for psychology graduate programs >_<

Personally, I enjoyed calculating algebraic matrices back in junior high :p

This no junior high, buddy...but you should do fine then with your solid foundation. ;)

Yeah, just jump through the hoops. It's good training for frustration tolerance. Internship year's applications are nationally-based, so that's something to look forward to, and usually your program helps you with your externship placements, year after year. But you get better at cover letters, personal statements, interviews, CV updates, etc.

And JoePianist, I got in after my second year applying so cheers and best of luck to you all! :luck:

Yes I realize there are other factors weighing in during this process and that is partly why its so cumbersome. I was just being cheeky. Honestly if I hadn't spent so many years in the working world supporting people who wouldn't know their rear from a handbag if they had a cold all of this would have forced me into fetal position ages ago lol. Thank heavens I've always been the organized-pay-attention-to-details type.

Although it is nice to hear that DPT programs have figured out the master application. There is hope for other programs after all, provided someone decides to work on this ;)

I applied to 10 schools my first time...and was trying to graduate, and defend my thesis, and teach 2 courses...super overwhelming. I think it showed in my apps. Fortunately, it's been much more manageable this time. I really believe the application process is the first round of cuts. Those who survive make it to the next round! So, congratulations on that :) For each school I made a folder (like an actual folder with brads) that had a checklist on the front. I needed something I could actually write notes on to remind me of all the particulars for that program. Getting a head start on things really helped, also. And finally, I alternated between spending a good chunk of time on applications, and then put them away completely for a few days to take care of myself. Either I'm much more sane this time or just completely delirious :) Good luck to you!

For those who are applying to doctoral programs right now, how are you guys coping with the stress from the whole process? I guess I am looking for normalization for myself and for others who are feeling overwhelmed by the application process. I am currently applying to 13 schools and starting to feel the pressure of the deadlines approaching. Does anyone else feel the same way?
YES! I feel the same way! Thanks for posting this, its nice to know others are going through this too. The one thing that annoys me is the different SOP lengths for different schools! Currently trying to shorten down to 500 words for a school which is quite difficult.

I also am just so impatient and cant wait so start hearing back already!

Yeah, if you enter this field, for the next several years you'll be applying for something pretty much every year.