Cornell c/o 2018 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChittyBang

c/o 2018 hopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'll be the one to start this thread :soexcited: Cornell is my IS and dream :love:

Anyone know when the supp will be up? I haven't heard a peep yet. Good luck, everyone!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so I'll be the one to start this thread :soexcited: Cornell is my IS and dream :love:

Anyone know when the supp will be up? I haven't heard a peep yet. Good luck, everyone!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm probably applying there, because they have a nice shelter medicine program. But I'm not a terribly competitive applicant since my GPA is on the low end. :p

Good luck!! It's such a great school!! :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whooo hooo!! Cornell c/o 2018 FTW!! :highfive: .....And may the odds be ever in our favor! :luck: :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Whooo hooo!! Cornell c/o 2018 FTW!! :highfive: .....And may the odds be ever in our favor! :luck: :xf:

:highfive:

@ComfyCat, my GPA hovers at about a 3.6 right now (depending on how you average my GPA from all of my schools, semesters, etc), which I know is not the most competitive, but I will give it my best shot and let the gods and goddesses decide ;) Besides, PBL is my thing so... PBL + awesome school/program + IS tuition = :D

If anyone has any questions about living in Ithaca, feel free to PM me. I went there for undergrad! I have a love-hate relationship with the weather but I pretty much love everything else about Ithaca.

Good luck to everyone applying! If anyone has questions about the curriculum, extra-curricular activities, etc, feel free to ask or PM me :)

Thanks! Pending my acceptance ;) I'll def have a ton of questions!

Anyone start the supp yet? I'm kinda concerned about the extra eLORs. Jennifer Mailey told me not to bombard the adcoms with TOO many, but I still wanna do this right... any pointers?

Anyone start the supp yet? I'm kinda concerned about the extra eLORs. Jennifer Mailey told me not to bombard the adcoms with TOO many, but I still wanna do this right... any pointers?

I just started, it seems like it's structured in a way that you're supposed to send them as many as possible ....

I may just try to have 4 or 5.

Hm. I'm actually planning on not sending in extra eLORs besides the ones required via VMCAS.... Would that be bad? o_O

I may just try to have 4 or 5.
In addition to the 6 from the VMCAS?

What she told me is this: My application may be the 19th of the day and if I had too many that the adcoms may miss a really good one in the mix. I was figuring the 6 allowed on my VMCAS (which apply to most of my experience/employment) and then 1 or 2 extra relating to Community type stuff. Ugh. I wish I could rub a lamp and get some sexy genie to do all of this perfectly for me :help:

In addition to the 6 from the VMCAS?

What she told me is this: My application may be the 19th of the day and if I had too many that the adcoms may miss a really good one in the mix. I was figuring the 6 allowed on my VMCAS (which apply to most of my experience/employment) and then 1 or 2 extra relating to Community type stuff. Ugh. I wish I could rub a lamp and get some sexy genie to do all of this perfectly for me :help:

No, no - overall. Wait, maybe I do have 6 on my VMCAS ... ugh, I don't even remember anymore! I would rather have 4 or 5 that strongly support my vetmed decision rather than 6 including one from, say ... my soccer coach. But who knows what I'll end up resorting to when I've pulled all my hairs out ...

Apparently I need to pay hundreds of dollars to have my transcripts evaluated by WES ... because Canadian and US schools are clearly not comparable! (Whaaa)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm. I'm actually planning on not sending in extra eLORs besides the ones required via VMCAS.... Would that be bad? o_O

I didn't have any additional eLORs for my Cornell supplemental app because the vet I worked with the most did my VMCAS eLOR. The other experiences I had were either for short periods (where I didn't feel I knew the vet well enough to ask for a letter) or were from a very long time ago. They still let me in :) Just make sure your letter is a strong one!

No, no - overall. Wait, maybe I do have 6 on my VMCAS ... ugh, I don't even remember anymore! I would rather have 4 or 5 that strongly support my vetmed decision rather than 6 including one from, say ... my soccer coach. But who knows what I'll end up resorting to when I've pulled all my hairs out ... (Whaaa)

I would have to politely disagree with your opinion on a coach letter of recommendation. If you are a collegiate athlete, I believe it is okay to have an extra letter of rec from a coach. My coach wrote an excellent letter commending me on leadership, commitment, work ethic etc. His letter was brought up in several interviews. When the adcoms brought up the recommendation letter, it also opened the door to discussing my experiences with being a D1 athlete and captain. I truly believe that it helped me stand out and I was subsequently accepted to all the schools I interviewed at.

Now, OF COURSE you wouldn't submit a collegiate coach's letter instead a Doctor/Research Leader/Professor letter. The letter from a coach would be a supplement to your application. For my application, I also submitted two vet letter of recs and two professor/research letter of recs. You obviously wouldn't ask your coach for a letter if you quit during your four years, were a bad teammate, or weren't a leader on your team. But assuming that you already have letters from Doctors/Professors and were a positive addition to your team, I believe it is safe to add a letter of recommendation from your coach.

I didn't have any additional eLORs for my Cornell supplemental app because the vet I worked with the most did my VMCAS eLOR. The other experiences I had were either for short periods (where I didn't feel I knew the vet well enough to ask for a letter) or were from a very long time ago. They still let me in :) Just make sure your letter is a strong one!

Oh phew. Okay. I thought it would look bad if there weren't any additional eLORs. I mean I have potentially three more but I don't want to bother them to write LORs (mostly b/c I'm too lazy to ask).

Oh phew. Okay. I thought it would look bad if there weren't any additional eLORs. I mean I have potentially three more but I don't want to bother them to write LORs (mostly b/c I'm too lazy to ask).

If you think they remember you, and would write you a strong eLOR, don't be too lazy to ask. My experience is my own, and having extra eLORs could potentially strengthen your supplemental application. If however there is no possible way to get extra eLORs then don't stress.

I would have to politely disagree with your opinion on a coach letter of recommendation. If you are a collegiate athlete, I believe it is okay to have an extra letter of rec from a coach. My coach wrote an excellent letter commending me on leadership, commitment, work ethic etc. His letter was brought up in several interviews. When the adcoms brought up the recommendation letter, it also opened the door to discussing my experiences with being a D1 athlete and captain. I truly believe that it helped me stand out and I was subsequently accepted to all the schools I interviewed at.

Now, OF COURSE you wouldn't submit a collegiate coach's letter instead a Doctor/Research Leader/Professor letter. The letter from a coach would be a supplement to your application. For my application, I also submitted two vet letter of recs and two professor/research letter of recs. You obviously wouldn't ask your coach for a letter if you quit during your four years, were a bad teammate, or weren't a leader on your team. But assuming that you already have letters from Doctors/Professors and were a positive addition to your team, I believe it is safe to add a letter of recommendation from your coach.
I should probably specify that although this is competitive sport, it is local and not collegiate. :)

I mean, it may be something but likely not strong enough to be sending off to an adcom, imo.

Anyone else not having too much fun with the supplemental essays? I really don't like these open ended type questions..sigh

Definitely not my favorite essays. I printed the prompts out in June and hung them on my fridge. I stare at them :confused: They're def challenging, huh?

Yea.. I really don't know what to write for these.. are you sticking to vet related and/or recent examples or pulling them from all over the place?

I'm almost 100% certain non-vet related. I like my answer for only one so far. Meh. I think they're so hard because 1) problems are relative 2) these answers say much about who you are, and 3) which problem (out of the million that I've faced) is the best example??? I almost wanna consult a psychologist before answering! LOL

I know what you mean.. any problem that I've faced seems like it might be too personal to be putting on a school application.. and then everything else feels so trivial... or I keep referring to my last job (working with ppl with disabilities) and I feel like I need to draw on different areas of my life instead of just that.

Yep. I feel like it's a chance to pull from other areas of my life. And if I'm smart about it, make myself shine bright :D

I have 2 additional eLOR's listed on my supplement, but neither of my recommenders has actually submitted their letter yet. Do you guys know if the supplement works like VMCAS in that I would be able to submit on my end and my recommenders can submit later? Or should I just wait until my additional eLOR's are in and then submit on my end?:confused:

I believe you can submit and they have until 10/15, but call/email just to be sure.

The supplemental is due 10/15 right? I'm just being paranoid, and double checking. This whole application process makes me feel a little nutty :)

From their website:

October 15th (1:00pm ET):
Cornell Supplemental Application deadline
All supporting documents and materials due in the Cornell DVM Admissions Office*

*Includes application fee of $65.00; GRE scores;additional evaluations not sent through VMCAS (optional); NY Residency Form (NY State Residents); TOEFL scores (for international students only); credit conversion report (international students and students with international college credits only); Dean's Certification (highly recommended)

These supplemental essays are driving me mad! I've been pouring over them for ages, scrapped drafts a few times, but I'm planning to finally make the last few changes and submit it tonight.. I still don't feel too satisfied with them, though. :( How is everyone else going with them?

These supplemental essays are driving me mad! I've been pouring over them for ages, scrapped drafts a few times, but I'm planning to finally make the last few changes and submit it tonight.. I still don't feel too satisfied with them, though. :( How is everyone else going with them?

Same.

I finished three and am presently happy with two of them. I plan to pour over them for the next few nights :bang:

I'm still struggling with them as well. Cornell is the only supplemental app I haven't finished yet (aside from Michigan, which just opened up yesterday). I'm so ready to be done!

Just got an email saying the supplemental deadline is being extended to 1pm EST on the 17th!

Damn, submitted mine literally this morning, would have maybe gave it another day or so if I'd known then about the extension! Ah well, I don't think I really could have improved or changed my essays much more, still not too happy with what I finished up with, but oh well, now to play the waiting game!

Just got an email saying the supplemental deadline is being extended to 1pm EST on the 17th!

Damn, submitted mine literally this morning, would have maybe gave it another day or so if I'd known then about the extension! Ah well, I don't think I really could have improved or changed my essays much more, still not too happy with what I finished up with, but oh well, now to play the waiting game!

I was just coming on to say this, but you beat me :p

Haha! Sadly I just have nothing going on in my life right now, other than waiting for the WW game to get going, and repeatedly refreshing my email inbox for news on vet apps! :oops:

Haha I was just in the clinic for TNR day at my shelter, but I tend to jump when getting an email these days :cool:

I planned to submit tonight, but may wait until tomorrow. I'll probably submit tonight because drawing it out any further is just ridiculous on my part. Maybe. We'll see.

How's everyone doing? Everybody got their supplementals in on time?

How's everyone doing? Everybody got their supplementals in on time?

Feeling soooo happy to be finally done. Now I can stop thinking about those questions! Anyone a little weirded out that everything says Oct 15th even though we received that email saying that we had until Oct 17th?

Hey everyone - have you guys submitted this dean's certification form that is available on the application status page? It says due March 15, so I am wondering if this is something you only have signed if you are accepted?

Hey everyone - have you guys submitted this dean's certification form that is available on the application status page? It says due March 15, so I am wondering if this is something you only have signed if you are accepted?
I submitted mine in October. The instructions pdf says it's recommended that it be submitted during the admissions process. Click the link on the right-hand side: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/applicants/CornellSupplementalApplication.cfm

*minor panic attack* i better submit mine ASAP - i hope it hasn't already impacted their decision :-\

Welp, I also didn't realize that the form was recommended to be turned in during the admission review.. looks like I will be rushing to get that one together as well.

Is the dean's certification form required...?

Reactions: 1 user