Cornell c/o 2018 Applicants!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would be interested to hear this as well! Also, how many are on the wait list? Are there separate ones for IS and OOS? I honestly don't know how competitive I am at Cornell but I'm clinging to wait list hope until emails go out.

I remember seeing somewhere (maybe on a previous thread?) that there were about 25 people on the waitlist. Idk about IS/OOS.

I was accepted but when she called me I was so excited I completely forgot the info she told us over the phone (Jennifer Mailey) Does anyone remember?Did she say anything about upcoming dates or something?

I didn't hear anything either, but I think you'll get all the info you need in an email sometimes this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Ha . .I was also in total shock and couldn't remember what she said so I emailed her later that day. We will be getting an official admittance email Monday, followed by information regarding admitted students weekend and next steps.

How does the whole wait list thing go? Do they mention it in an email right away or do people get a rejection letter then later on get a waitlist email after other students decline?
I applied last year and didn't get in and didn't get onto the waitlist or anything. Seeing as I didn't get a call this past week, I'm assuming a rejection maybe coming (I got accepted to UF, so I'll be going to vet school regardless, but just curious).

As far as I know, waitlist emails should go out on Monday/early this week along with the rejection emails. I have no idea if there are separate IS or OOS waitlists or even how many are on it this year - that's not info students are privy to. I wasn't on the waitlist but obviously some of my classmates were. I'm not sure if they will let you guys know before the April 15th deadline as spots open up, or if they wait until April 15th. If you do end up on the waitlist, I don't see why you couldn't ask Jennifer Mailey about that... especially if you've been accepted somewhere else. I know one waitlisted person last year got her call ON April 15th.

I was accepted but when she called me I was so excited I completely forgot the info she told us over the phone (Jennifer Mailey) Does anyone remember?Did she say anything about upcoming dates or something?

I'm sure about 70% of the people that were called blacked out from shock after hearing the initial good news... I know I did! They will be sending all the accepted folks official emails on Monday/early this week along with all the information they (probably) gave you over the phone - dates for the accepted students days, etc. Don't worry, you didn't miss anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have a question about these waitlist things.. what happens if you accept an offer from another school, and then hear on or after april 15th that you have been taken off a waitlist somewhere else? Are you sol... or can you let the current school know that you decided against going there and you are just out of the deposit? How does that work? My program advisor was giving a presentation on applying to med school (yes, not vet school... because there are very few pre-vets in the program I'm in.. but had to attend anyway) and he said that med schools can see where you have accepted the admissions offer, and if your name on a waitlist comes up, they check if you have accepted admission somewhere else... if so, they pass your name up and don't even call you to offer you a place. Do you guys know how this works with vet school?

To my knowledge, if you accept an offer from another school and then hear after April 15th on another school, you can most definitely decide to go to that school. You would be out of a deposit though (Which can vary from averages of $500-1000 I believe). I've personally heard of someone that got accepted to a school before April 15th, sent in a deposit, and then got accepted off a waitlist at another school in late April. She declined her offer to school number 1 and sent in a deposit to school number 2. Then in July she got accepted to her in-state and then decided to decline school number 2 in favor of her in-state. That's an unlikely story, and she lost quite a bit of deposit money, but it has the possibility of happening if you applied to multiple schools.

As far as Vet schools seeing whether you have been accepted elsewhere, I honestly don't think that schools do that (If they do someone please correct me), but I do know that you can pull yourself from the waitlist if you get accepted elsewhere and decide to matriculate there.

Reactions: 1 users

Look at the previous posts. I asked the same and we are supposed to get email tomorrow.

I read a blog about a girl who got accepted to Cornell from out of state. She got a call from CSU on her way to Cornell (to start school) and she turned around and went the other way. It's kinda crazy how last minute things can change!

On another note, is anyone for sure going to Cornell or are you going to wait t0 hear back from your other schools?

I read a blog about a girl who got accepted to Cornell from out of state. She got a call from CSU on her way to Cornell (to start school) and she turned around and went the other way. It's kinda crazy how last minute things can change!

On another note, is anyone for sure going to Cornell or are you going to wait t0 hear back from your other schools?

I'm going to wait until I've heard back from all my schools before committing to any school. My feeling is that I put the money and effort into applying to 9 schools - I might as well follow through with them all and see where it gets me. That being said, interview travel is expensive, so if I have to pay totally outrageous airfare, I'll decline a couple of interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I am IS and applied to Cornell, VMRCVM and UF. I have been accepted to Cornell, rejected from VMRCVM, and have not heard from UF. I plan to go to Cornell regardless of what UF says. Between travel expenses, interview anxiety (I don't even have a suit!), and MANY other reasons, it's obvious to me that I would choose Cornell first. I went to undergrad here and am very familiar with the area. You can't beat the reputation that Cornell has, and you as one of its graduates will have. If anyone has any questions about Ithaca, I would be happy to do my best to answer them :)

I declined my interviews for WSU and OSU but am waiting to hear back from Davis, NCSU, and Wisconsin. I don't care much about Davis and Wisconsin...if I don't get into NCSU I'll go to Cornell.

I declined my interviews for WSU and OSU but am waiting to hear back from Davis, NCSU, and Wisconsin. I don't care much about Davis and Wisconsin...if I don't get into NCSU I'll go to Cornell.
So does this mean you would go to NCSU over Cornell if you do get in?
I am deliberating between schools myself and I am trying to figure out what would be some good decision factors for me.
Do you mind if I ask what would be yours?

So does this mean you would go to NCSU over Cornell if you do get in?
I am deliberating between schools myself and I am trying to figure out what would be some good decision factors for me.
Do you mind if I ask what would be yours?

Not 100%...I would definitely have to check out the school and Raleigh first, but the cheaper tuition is a very strong incentive. NC also has better weather, and I like the idea of moving somewhere new. Cornell is a (relatively) easy bus ride from NYC, where my SO goes to grad school. However, a roundtrip ticket from NYC to Raleigh isn't too bad either in terms of cost/duration.

My main personal factors are location, cost, and proximity to my SO. Those 2 schools hit the mark for me, so it'll be a tough decision. Wisconsin has fantastic OOS tuition, but it is probably colder than Ithaca and further from NYC. OSU is only marginally cheaper than that of Cornell and obviously further. Davis is my IS school but clearly not an option for me, being on the opposite coast and all.

EDIT
I know a lot of people would suggest UPenn and/or Tufts, but I simply do not want to live in Philly for 4 years, and I love Boston but I just didn't want to apply to Tufts. Tuition-wise, Cornell is about the same as Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no e-mail either!

I am IS and I'm pretty much 100% sure I'll be going to Cornell. I currently go to school about 2 hours from Ithaca and head up their pretty regularly for horse shows with my college's team. I love the town and as weird as it sounds, I love NY, snow and all!

I flew out to California to interview at Western and I wish I would have heard from Cornell first. I never would have flown out had I known about getting in - I thought Western was my best shot due to their relatively low admitted GPA average and such (not that I have a low GPA, I just thought it would make me stand out more as I lack vet hours).

I still can't believe I got in, I think I'll believe it more when I see it in writing :D

Maybe they have weather issues? And that's why no email?

Has anyone received official email notification today?

Got an e-mail, they refer you to the portal with a code and then the letter pops up!

Alternate! I'm actually pretty stoked about that.

Reactions: 5 users
:( no email yet...assuming that means I will be in the rejection wave of emails. Bummer.

Alternate OOS! Woooo

Reactions: 2 users
Alternate OOS here, very unexpected and first school I've heard back from. Will see what the semester brings. :)

Anyone gonna be there the 21st? I'm bummed that they are all on Fridays. Idk if my SO will be able to take that day off to come with me.

*Stares at inbox, cries silently*

Basically. Perhaps they're going alphabetically? My name starts with a "P" so it's sort of at the end?! Maybe?

I'm W!! Maybe you're right! Great I get the longest wait! Hahaha

Anyone know how many people they generally have on the waitlist? Did someone say 25 last year earlier in this thread?

Rejection here too. :( dang. Congrats to everyone else!!

alternate!? I'm actually surprised... OOS

Rejection. And you know what? I'm ok with it. I put myself out there, knew it was a long shot, and I wasn't afraid to try. I'm proud of myself for trying. :cool:

Reactions: 15 users
I got alternate, so there is still hope! Yay for that I suppose. I'm OOS.

alternate! Surprised me... OOS. I was accepted at OSU so if I don't hear from Cornell saying they want me I know I will be in school. If I had a choice I don't know which I'd choose.

Rejection. And you know what? I'm ok with it. I put myself out there, knew it was a long shot, and I wasn't afraid to try. I'm proud of myself for trying. :cool:

I do admire your attitude, ChittyBang! The first time I got rejected from a school I was thought the world was crashing around me :rolleyes:

I do admire your attitude, ChittyBang! The first time I got rejected from a school I was thought the world was crashing around me :rolleyes:
Aww, thanks! I'm simply being "re-directed" ;) And my sincerest congrats to you and everyone else on their way to Ithaca :highfive:

Reactions: 6 users
Alternate! Got my email at about 4:20. I'm IS and my last name starts with "A", so I doubt it was alphabetical. BUT YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up until I got the email, I thought I had been punked...

Rejection. Oh well, not surprised or upset.

Likewise. But congratulations to those of you that were accepted as well as those that were waitlisted, fingers crossed it moves along the list again! :)