Cornell c/o 2019 applicants !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed for the dual degree program ( I didn't get it). They'll call you about that at the same time with results of DVM application and whether or not you are are in the pool for combined program consideration.

Does anyone know if dvm/PhD applied students also get a phone call on the same day as dvm students (jan 2nd)? Nervous =X

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yay we finally broke two pages of posts!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted students should get phone calls on Friday, but you're right, the weekend being right after the 2nd makes it questionable

They make phone calls? I thought it was an email!

Ahahaha I'm out of town until Monday and I can't remember if I put my cellphone number or my house phone number as the primary method of contact. I think I wrote down my cellphone number but I can't be absolutely certain.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping from nerves?

Cornell undergrad here. The university is currently closed, and reopens on January 5th (Monday). Quick google search for last year's academic calendar suggests that it reopened on January 2nd, which is probably why people got calls on the 2nd last year. I doubt that anyone will be in and making calls/ sending emails during vacation... so probs a few more days of anxiety. Sorry to disappoint.

Reactions: 3 users
Cornell undergrad here. The university is currently closed, and reopens on January 5th (Monday). Quick google search for last year's academic calendar suggests that it reopened on January 2nd, which is probably why people got calls on the 2nd last year. I doubt that anyone will be in and making calls/ sending emails during vacation... so probs a few more days of anxiety. Sorry to disappoint.

Mannnn I just wanted it to be over already :(

Ah, what a bummer. I was looking forward to know. :(

Hi, I will be a freshman at Cornell in the fall with a major in animal science and a pre-vet track. If anyone was/is an animal science major or generally pre-vet at Cornell, would you mind PMing me or replying to this? Looking for some advice on classes and Cornell in general. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I will be a freshman at Cornell in the fall with a major in animal science and a pre-vet track. If anyone was/is an animal science major or generally pre-vet at Cornell, would you mind PMing me or replying to this? Looking for some advice on classes and Cornell in general. Thank you!

Well I'm a biology major at Cornell, but it's absolutely fantastic--you're going to love it. Of course the classes are a lot of work (be ready for the general chemistry class, CHEM 2070; that class is notorious for being surprisingly difficult) but generally everyone is really helpful and willing to work with you. Take a look at animal-related clubs and experiences; for instance the Cornell Preveterinary Society is rather large and does several activities, and I spent all four years working with the Cornell Raptor Program caring for the birds.

And dammit Grapejuice. Thanks though. Guess I have a couple more days of tension too. I really wanted to know too.

I know, coffeeincluded, but if I HADN'T said anything, you might have interpreted the lack of phone call today as a rejection... So in reality, I made your weekend much more pleasant because now you know not to glue yourself to your phone until Monday.

Cornellian19: I'm also a bio major. I'm an ansci minor, so I've probably taken some other courses that you'll need to take. There's a fair amount of overlap between the pre-vet and bio major requirements anyway, aside from specific courses offered in the animal science department such as animal genetics (bio majors are required to take the bio version; consider yourself blessed). There are a lot of resources for the notoriously more "difficult" courses, such as free one-on-one tutoring in gen chem, orgo, and physics, in addition to review sessions, office hours with professors and TAs. Basically, if you need help and are willing to look for it, someone is willing to help.

I know, coffeeincluded, but if I HADN'T said anything, you might have interpreted the lack of phone call today as a rejection... So in reality, I made your weekend much more pleasant because now you know not to glue yourself to your phone until Monday.

Cornellian19: I'm also a bio major. I'm an ansci minor, so I've probably taken some other courses that you'll need to take. There's a fair amount of overlap between the pre-vet and bio major requirements anyway, aside from specific courses offered in the animal science department such as animal genetics (bio majors are required to take the bio version; consider yourself blessed). There are a lot of resources for the notoriously more "difficult" courses, such as free one-on-one tutoring in gen chem, orgo, and physics, in addition to review sessions, office hours with professors and TAs. Basically, if you need help and are willing to look for it, someone is willing to help.

True, though I'm still glued to my phone today. I can't quote shake it.

And those are all good pieces of advice--do I know you in the real world? What year are you?

Friendly reminder that calls are spaced out over a few days with in-state/combined program applicants getting called earlier if memory serves.

Aside: It's snowing in Ithaca for a change...

plot twist: ad com reads this, takes pity on us, and calls right now....

Reactions: 6 users
did anyone get phone calls yet... ?

yay! today's the day??? I was accepted last cycle and had to defer for one year, I'm excited to have classmates!

Wait you know for sure that today's the day?!

And I'm sure I just gave lots of people heart attacks. Sorry.

Today SHOULD be the day because it is the first day back in the office, and that's when they have made calls in past years. I'll be in a class all day (January term bleh) and I don't know which phone number I gave them ahhhhhhhh

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that phone calls are starting to go out today. I just got mine a couple of minutes ago and I kind of blanked out of what the person calling me was telling me because I was too excited... Good luck to all of you!!!!!!!
I'm OOS btw

Reactions: 4 users
IS and I just got the call that I'm in!!!! :soexcited:Literally started crying on the phone.

Congratulations!!!

Do you think they're doing it alphabetically? What letter does your last name start with?

I don't think it's in alphabetical order since my last name starts with Z!

Do they call people if they're wait-listed ? Or only if accepted

Just got the phone call 10 minutes ago, IS.

All I said was "Thank you" in a very shocked voice and the woman on the phone laughed.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! What's your last name start with, by the way? My last name starts with K and I haven't heard the call yet.

Now I'm going to sit all through class staring intently at my phone... haha. Congrats to everyone getting the calls!

Coffeeincluded: My last name starts with a J. I'm pretty sure they don't go alphabetically, though.

Out of curiosity why are you sure they don't? Did they give any indication of how many people are left to call?

Dvmblues mentioned having a last name that starts with a Z, so even if I was called before Dvmblues (which I think I wasn't, although it's hard to tell from posts on here) I think it would be too soon to be pretty much done with the calls already.

A rumor that I heard a while ago was that they call down the list of class spots (i.e. they have a big list of everyone who was accepted and then the list keeps going in a certain order for alternates who have a certain spot in the line) but I'm not sure how true that is.

Got the phone call, I'm in!!! IS :soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone!!

Congrats! I'm still waiting, and starting to get terrified that I didn't get accepted.

Reactions: 4 users
I honestly don't know what else I could have done. My GPA and GRE scores are nearly perfect and I'm sure that my essays are good. I only have about 1000 hours of vet experience, could that have done it?

I haven't heard either, but it's still early so hopefully they still have a lot of calls to make!

Coffeeincluded, I had less than 1000 hours of vet experience. I had a lot of research, but actual vet hours were pretty limited. Keep waiting, it's still early!!! There's nothing you can do at this point to change anything, so just take deep breaths.

Reactions: 1 users
I've stalked this forum long enough, decided to finally contribute. I'm currently driving into Knoxville for my U of Tn interview staring at my phone haha. Congrats to all those that got calls!!!!!!

does anyone know if we get notified by phone / email if we don't get an offer?

JPML, everyone should get emails in the next couple of days with the decision. Only accepted students get phone calls - if you are waitlisted or an alternate they don't call.

What's the difference between waitlisting and alternates anyway?

Are they still making phone calls?

Oh, okay.

If I didn't hear back by now I probably didn't get in anywhere, did I? I honestly don't know what to do if I didn't get in; I've wanted this since I was six years old.