Cornell c/o 2019 applicants !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dress is roughly business casual**; some people wear suits, others wear jeans. I would suggest a nice collared shirt and slacks and a comfortable pair of shoes to walk around in and you will look nice without standing out (i.e. over/underdressed compared to your peers). The event is pretty laid back and I don't think anyone in admissions is taking notes on your outfit choices

** assuming nothing has changed from previous years
This is accurate as of last year at least. There was a huge range, jeans to suits.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it April yet?? o_O :drowning:

Really want that call

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the financial aid packet in the mail. Such fun. Does anyone know how financial aid offers work for alternates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the financial aid packet in the mail. Such fun. Does anyone know how financial aid offers work for alternates?

I'm OOS.. actually from the bay area as well :). If I remember correctly, I sent in all the paperwork by the normal deadlines but just didn't get any financial offer until I was offered a spot in April... then they send you all the additional stuff.

Last edited:
Hey prospective class of 2019! My name is Sarah, and I am a member of the CUCVM class of 2018. I am one of the rush chairs for our wonderful veterinary fraternity, Omega Tau Sigma (OTS). I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the upcoming information sessions! And what better way to unwind after hearing about how awesome Cornell is than to enjoy some free drinks and hang out with current students in a more relaxed atmosphere? We're excited to host the information session after party at the OTS house (200 Willard Way) at 8PM every Friday following the information sessions. All are welcome and encouraged to come (parents and significant others included)! This week's theme is Super Bowl, so if you come dressed repping your favorite team, you could win a best dressed prize. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What is the best way to get to Cornell? I will be flying out of Dallas, TX and would prefer not renting a car. Which airports have good public transit to Cornell? Also, some names of the closest hotels to the vet school would be helpful. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

To all those IS alternates-- i am definitely giving up my acceptance to Cornell (hoping for auburn acceptance or nc state's waitlist to open up!) if not then upenn i will go to, so hopefully someone on sdn gets my seat =) good luck!

To all those IS alternates-- i am definitely giving up my acceptance to Cornell (hoping for auburn acceptance or nc state's waitlist to open up!) if not then upenn i will go to, so hopefully someone on sdn gets my seat =) good luck!
So there is still hope for us!:joyful: Good luck on the others!

I don't mean to be nosy, but can I ask why?

And good luck!

I don't mean to be nosy, but can I ask why?

And good luck!
Now worries haha. I just love the south and i reallly want to settle down here, preferably in NC...which is why NCSU is my dream school, but Auburn is also a great program and so i figure id rather stay in the south and as close to NC as possible..even over the IS tuition and Ivy league prestige..i am a weirdooo i know... but i cant help it!

Oh cool! I feel like i have met you or someone like you before at my interviews...she loved NCSU and the south!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh cool! I feel like i have met you or someone like you before at my interviews...she loved NCSU and the south!
haha sounds like we'd get along!! Idk how hands-on the program at nc is, so idk about them entirely over auburn but i guess time will tell! May just go visit and try and tour facilities for the heck of it... i hate that we dont get a formal interview/tour/orientation about the school and why they're different or better to choose program-wise etc.. whereas msu and purdue etc really took time to get to know ppl and explain their program and student life. So that;s also why id decline cornell and choose auburn if accepted. But i hope you get the call from cornell!! the doc i work for is a cornell grad and she is amazing!

What is the best way to get to Cornell? I will be flying out of Dallas, TX and would prefer not renting a car. Which airports have good public transit to Cornell? Also, some names of the closest hotels to the vet school would be helpful. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Sorry I missed this earlier. Are you staying with a student or in a hotel? You could fly into Ithaca (~5 minute drive to Campus) or one of the other regional Airports (Syracuse, Elmira) and drive 45-65 minutes back to campus. The Statler hotel is on campus but very expensive. There are a few hotels on the Ithaca Commons or cheaper alternatives as you move towards the Airport/Ithaca Mall. I am not sure if the TCAT (bus) runs to the Airport but it does stop at the Vet School and a few other places in Ithaca.

Is anyone going to Friday's info session?!?! :D

Is anyone going to Friday's info session?!?! :D
I am! Parental pressure to try and keep their daughter in NY for the next 4 years haha i agreed to go to the session and then they'd kinda step back and let me make the decision --- to be in the south most likely haha-- but we all should definitely meet up! anyone going thurs night? PM me! Also, what is everyone wearing to these sessions?

I am! Parental pressure to try and keep their daughter in NY for the next 4 years haha i agreed to go to the session and then they'd kinda step back and let me make the decision --- to be in the south most likely haha-- but we all should definitely meet up! anyone going thurs night? PM me! Also, what is everyone wearing to these sessions?

I'm just going to wear something casual. Some boots and dark khakis with a sweater. I wonder if we're going outside much?!

And we should all meet up together! I will be driving in that Friday morning from NYC (will be getting a start at 4AM that morning o_O)

Hmmm, do you think dark jeans and nice chestnut boots with a sweater is tooooo casual?? Yes we should!! We'll have to figure a way to identify each other haha

Hmmm, do you think dark jeans and nice chestnut boots with a sweater is tooooo casual?? Yes we should!! We'll have to figure a way to identify each other haha

I think that sounds good!

I went a couple weeks ago and saw everything from t-shirts and jeans to suits, so nice jeans/khakis are fine! And we didn't go outside much - just a short walk from one building to another!

Reactions: 1 users
Can't wait to go to Cornell tomorrow !! So exciting :clap:!!

Flight delay out of Houston. Might not be able to get there in time for tomorrow's events :(

Nooo!!! I'm sorry to hear tha @shwauso :(

I'm sure the universe cannot stop you from visitng Cornell!!! Sending you some good vibes in your favor ;)

I'm not going to make it either due to a series of flight delays and a cancellation. And so Cornell remains a place that only exists in my dreams and fantasies....

I am not able to make it either, but I emailed them and they said I could visit any day and they would set up tours and faculty meetings, so you can still make it there!

I am not able to make it either, but I emailed them and they said I could visit any day and they would set up tours and faculty meetings, so you can still make it there!
That's really awesome of them. Stay classy, Cornell!

I'm excited to get to see Cornell tomorrow too! Though not excited for this freezing weather...

Does any current students know how much the wait list actually moves? I feel like many of the students I spoke to that were accepted are pretty sure of attending Cornell.

I really want to go to Cornell after hearing more about its curriculum and program, but I feel like the chances for an IS seat is slim :(

To those who attended the info session, what was something you learned from the session, either positive or negative, that will help persuade/dissuade you to choose Cornell? Thanks

Does any current students know how much the wait list actually moves? I feel like many of the students I spoke to that were accepted are pretty sure of attending Cornell.

I really want to go to Cornell after hearing more about its curriculum and program, but I feel like the chances for an IS seat is slim :(
I am still declining my IS seat! Since you got into ncsu i am certain youd get called off the wait list soon! What are you interested in? And you werent in team 4 were ya?

@v0712 i know but there were several other wait listers in my tour group and I feel like it seems unlikely for me to get that call lol.

And nope :( team 3. I really liked the tutor group it was super fun. And I got the diagnosis right :D how did you like it?? I sorta wished we could talk more about the program with the students. Like if there was a catalog of the different classes and electives to review.

Also I'm interested in zoo/wildlife/exotics and play to get an MPH so Cornell would fit perfectly!

@v0712 i know but there were several other wait listers in my tour group and I feel like it seems unlikely for me to get that call lol.

And nope :( team 3. I really liked the tutor group it was super fun. And I got the diagnosis right :D how did you like it?? I sorta wished we could talk more about the program with the students. Like if there was a catalog of the different classes and electives to review.

Also I'm interested in zoo/wildlife/exotics and play to get an MPH so Cornell would fit perfectly!
Ohh really, lots of IS alternates? That stinks!! I liked getting cases etc but i really didnt like having to learn things on your own..i wish theyd just teach you when you had a question..yeah haha i made a joke at the beginning that both cats ate the same foreign body and some girl said like a string from lady and the tramp! Was funny that it wound up being that!! Yeah it sounds like cornell is a good match for ya! I'm gonna stick with the didactic haha. I hope you get the call ! :xf:

Ohh really, lots of IS alternates? That stinks!! I liked getting cases etc but i really didnt like having to learn things on your own..i wish theyd just teach you when you had a question..yeah haha i made a joke at the beginning that both cats ate the same foreign body and some girl said like a string from lady and the tramp! Was funny that it wound up being that!! Yeah it sounds like cornell is a good match for ya! I'm gonna stick with the didactic haha. I hope you get the call ! :xf:

Haha yeah!! And yeah I feel like a mix of didactic and PBL is good! And thanks! Good luck to you too :)

Last edited:
Has anyone just submit their FAFSA application? :nailbiting:

What happens if we're late?!?!

Has anyone just submit their FAFSA application? :nailbiting:

What happens if we're late?!?!

It's fine. Obviously you should do it ASAP, because they won't start working on your package until they have your stuff, but someone asked Carol if she would prefer you wait until you have your taxes finished to fill out the FAFSA as opposed to using estimates and then making a correction later, and she said yes.

Hello everyone and congratulations to those in the class of 2019. I know it is still early and many of you are considering which school to accept but for those early birds who already decided on Cornell I am looking for a roommate.

I am a current first year with a cat who is fine with being around other animals (even pocket pets). The apartment is super close to school (less then a 5 min drive), by the wildlife health center, equestrian center, bus routes, running and biking trails. It is also 2 minutes away from East Hill plaza that has a grocery store, liquor store, gym, College town bagels, gas station and a new Dunkin Doughnuts all on the way to school. The area is a very popular for vet students and the apartment above it has two vet students. The apartment is very pet friendly but your animal MUST get along with cats (like not try to kill her). The bonus is that it has a washing machine and dryer IN the apartment which will really help after cow labs, as well as a good sized backyard so you can see grass a few months a year =p. If you are interested send me a message and I can tell you more about the apartment and we can find out if we are a good fit. The lease starts early summer so this would be perfect for someone looking to move their stuff up early or who plan to move to Ithaca before school starts to settle in (which I HIGHLY recommend doing).

Even if you don't want to live with me and would like to know more about the different places that vet students live I am happy to help :)

Is a car necessary or is public transit sufficient and reliable enough?

Is a car necessary or is public transit sufficient and reliable enough?
Tha really depends on where you end up living. The bus system here is great, but if you live outside of town often the buses don't run very frequently so it's not that convenient. If you live downtown or in the college town area, there are buses running all the time. Personally I have a car, but I also live 20 minutes outside of town.

I would add that the bus won't bring you to the labs off campus or let you stay as late as you want at the vet school to study (due to limited evening hours). A parking pass is about a dollar a day for the entire calendar year and makes life much simpler than arranging your life around a carpool or a bus schedule.

Hey so I'm on the alternate list and I was wondering if anyone on here had heard any recent information about how many alternates they expect to admit. The last time I connacted the office was just a little after I got my alternate status and they said that they couldn't give me any information because the list was changing so quickly. Just looking for some more current information and advice about whether I should try contacting the office again

I declined my IS seat today, good luck to everyone!

As an alternate I completely freaked out when I found a large white envelope from Cornell in the mail on Saturday.... but then it was just a newsletter. This wait is so so stressful.
I just got that in today! I was freaking out as well haha