Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheltermed

omg idk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current Cornell undergrad and in-state! Probably not getting in myself, but I can answer a lot of questions about Cornell and Ithaca in general :) Best of luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Current Cornell undergrad and in-state! Probably not getting in myself, but I can answer a lot of questions about Cornell and Ithaca in general :) Best of luck to everyone!!
Thanks sheltermed! I am actually traveling to Ithaca tomorrow for an admissions presentation and tour. I'm a non-traditional applicant, OOS. I'm not getting my hopes up either haha. Good luck to you and to everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
WASSUP?!...

yeah I'm probably not getting in either. I have a question. What's the cost of living in Ithaca (high/low)? And good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
WASSUP?!...

yeah I'm probably not getting in either. I have a question. What's the cost of living in Ithaca (high/low)? And good luck to everyone!
I would say it's fairly high compared to other places in the country. You can expect to pay at least $1000/month on a one bedroom near school. Some vet students I know pay about $1500/month for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Sometimes more, sometimes less - but not much less, unfortunately!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Hi, to semi-reiterate what I've posted on the 2021 applicants thread, I'm a 2nd-time VMCAS applicant and after applying to 4 schools last cycle, I decided to drop LSU (even though it was my undergrad) because my OOS chances there are nil. After looking through all the school prereqs I found I could go with Wisconsin or Cornell, so I'm trying to find out which of those would be the wisest choice for my 4th pick (may be possible to add both, but that's getting prohibitively expensive so I'd rather keep it at 4). I learned that in regards to the GRE Cornell will take the highest score of each section from different test attempts, so that's a plus.

Does Cornell list their previous applicant stats? I couldn't find a data chart anywhere on their site, only them mentioning the number of applicants etc. on their FAQ.

I dont think they list their previous applicant stats, but you could read through the accepted applicant stats thread for cornell people and get some idea from there.

I would say it's fairly high compared to other places in the country. You can expect to pay at least $1000/month on a one bedroom near school. Some vet students I know pay about $1500/month for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Sometimes more, sometimes less - but not much less, unfortunately!

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. You can live 5-10 minutes from the vet school and pay far less than that per month even with utilities included. I pay $400 base rent plus ~$60 utilities and I live 6 minutes from school. I would avoid trying to live in Collegetown and look in areas east of campus instead. I live with roommates and a car FWIW.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. You can live 5-10 minutes from the vet school and pay far less than that per month even with utilities included. I pay $400 base rent plus ~$60 utilities and I live 6 minutes from school. I would avoid trying to live in Collegetown and look in areas east of campus instead. I live with roommates and a car FWIW.
The prices I mentioned are the ones I've experienced on my apartment search since February, and definitely not limited to Collegetown. Additionally, they were total prices, not per person. So, when I said $1000, I meant $500 per person. I'd say that's about the average. Regardless, living in NY is decently pricey.

Hi, to semi-reiterate what I've posted on the 2021 applicants thread, I'm a 2nd-time VMCAS applicant and after applying to 4 schools last cycle, I decided to drop LSU (even though it was my undergrad) because my OOS chances there are nil. After looking through all the school prereqs I found I could go with Wisconsin or Cornell, so I'm trying to find out which of those would be the wisest choice for my 4th pick (may be possible to add both, but that's getting prohibitively expensive so I'd rather keep it at 4). I learned that in regards to the GRE Cornell will take the highest score of each section from different test attempts, so that's a plus.

Does Cornell list their previous applicant stats? I couldn't find a data chart anywhere on their site, only them mentioning the number of applicants etc. on their FAQ.
Unfortunately, no, they don't publicly list this data. They will give out a few bits of information, such as average cGPA, during their admissions presentations.

Something you can do is send an email to [email protected], and they will get back to you with some more detailed information than what's listed online. Good luck! :)

Hi everyone! Visited Cornell for an admissions presentation last year and loved it!

Don't know if I'll get it--lacking on experiences since I switched to pre-vet pretty recently.

Glad someone started this thread though! Gonna have a lot of questions coming up =)

Hi everyone! Visited Cornell for an admissions presentation last year and loved it!

Don't know if I'll get it--lacking on experiences since I switched to pre-vet pretty recently.

Glad someone started this thread though! Gonna have a lot of questions coming up =)

(Fortunately?), Cornell is a bit more GPA & test score- than experience-oriented. That's certainly not to say you don't need experience, you do, but I have seen students in the higher GPA range with low-ish experience hours get in.

The admissions formula (which I'm sure most have seen), if it helps:
  • 25% - Overall GPA
  • 25% - GRE (verbal and quantitative) or MCAT
  • 5% - Quality of Academic Program
  • 20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (supported with letters of evaluation)
  • 10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
  • 10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
  • 5% - Personal Statement

Last edited:
Hey everyone I applied and was accepted to Cornell this past cycle and will be starting there in the fall, so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask or PM me! :)

Reactions: 3 users
(Fortunately?), Cornell is a bit more GPA- than experience-oriented. That's certainly not to say you don't need experience, you do, but I have seen students in the higher GPA range with low-ish experience hours get in.

It should also be noted that they weigh gpa and gre equally. Their ADCOM is more similar to med schools in that respect.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It should also be noted that they weigh gpa and gre equally. Their ADCOM is more similar to med schools in that respect.

Yes, of course. I'll edit my post to reflect that. I meant to say more academically (GPA/scores) oriented, but didn't word it right :) Thanks!

(Fortunately?), Cornell is a bit more GPA & test score- than experience-oriented. That's certainly not to say you don't need experience, you do, but I have seen students in the higher GPA range with low-ish experience hours get in.

The admissions formula (which I'm sure most have seen), if it helps:
  • 25% - Overall GPA
  • 25% - GRE (verbal and quantitative) or MCAT
  • 5% - Quality of Academic Program
  • 20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (supported with letters of evaluation)
  • 10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
  • 10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
  • 5% - Personal Statement
Fortunately sounds good to me! I have a 3.848 GPA. My GRE isn't great. More average. But I'm gonna try magoosh for gre prep because Kaplan wasn't that great

What do non cognitive skills mean?

For my hours I have over a 1200 at a specialty center as an assistant and then 100 at a spay and neuter. Still working at the specialty center so I'll have a ton more by the time I apply. Then I have misc ones at different gp practices adding up to about 30 hours. Gonna try to volunteer at the clinic I use for my pets for the bulk of my gp experience. I also have 2 full weeks lined up at an exotics only place.

Does all of that sound decent?

I'm still looking for large animal experience.

I don't have much research experience. There's an ad for a research assistant position for a study on frog behavior which I might try looking into.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Fortunately sounds good to me! I have a 3.848 GPA. My GRE isn't great. More average. But I'm gonna try magoosh for gre prep because Kaplan wasn't that great

What do non cognitive skills mean?

For my hours I have over a 1200 at a specialty center as an assistant and then 100 at a spay and neuter. Still working at the specialty center so I'll have a ton more by the time I apply. Then I have misc ones at different gp practices adding up to about 30 hours. Gonna try to volunteer at the clinic I use for my pets for the bulk of my gp experience. I also have 2 full weeks lined up at an exotics only place.

Does all of that sound decent?

I'm still looking for large animal experience.

I don't have much research experience. There's an ad for a research assistant position for a study on frog behavior which I might try looking into.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Your stats actually sound really good. Diverse experience (including research) is certainly valued, but not always necessary for an acceptance. I've spoken to a lot of students here who had never even touched a large animal species before getting to vet school. That said, if you're able to get the experience, definitely go for it! They appreciate breadth and depth - so, 20 hours here and there with various species/practices may not be valued as highly as your 1200 hours at the specialty center, plus a few hundred somewhere else, if you know what I mean? Applicants with a lower GPA (like me) and/or lower test scores will want to focus on getting really good experiences in order to make their application stand out. Things outside of veterinary medicine are super important, too!

Non-cognitive skills are things like your attitude, motivation, perhaps empathy - the "non-tangible" skills. Your personality traits. I find it hard to understand how they can judge those without interviewing, but maybe they figure they get enough of an idea through personal statements and supplemental questions.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about your GRE scores - if you're able to retake it and you think you'll do better, definitely do so - but with your GPA (assuming a lot of your high grades come from your pre-reqs/sciences), and from what you've shared so far, I think you make a competitive applicant!

Your stats actually sound really good. Diverse experience (including research) is certainly valued, but not always necessary for an acceptance. I've spoken to a lot of students here who had never even touched a large animal species before getting to vet school. That said, if you're able to get the experience, definitely go for it! They appreciate breadth and depth - so, 20 hours here and there with various species/practices may not be valued as highly as your 1200 hours at the specialty center, plus a few hundred somewhere else, if you know what I mean? Applicants with a lower GPA (like me) and/or lower test scores will want to focus on getting really good experiences in order to make their application stand out. Things outside of veterinary medicine are super important, too!
So you think they would like to see things like animal-related internships that aren't necessarily veterinary? I have an internship in the bird/mammal department of an aquarium coming up this summer.

So you think they would like to see things like animal-related internships that aren't necessarily veterinary? I have an internship in the bird/mammal department of an aquarium coming up this summer.

I was actually more referring to non-veterinary, non-animal experience - something that might give you a unique translatable skill or attribute that could make you a better veterinarian. Unique animal experience is definitely a plus, too! It doesn't necessarily have to be supervised by a veterinarian. If it's something they may not see in "ordinary" applicants, I think it's valued.

I was actually more referring to non-veterinary, non-animal experience - something that might give you a unique translatable skill or attribute that could make you a better veterinarian. Unique animal experience is definitely a plus, too! It doesn't necessarily have to be supervised by a veterinarian. If it's something they may not see in "ordinary" applicants, I think it's valued.
OOOOHHHH I see what you mean. Thanks!

Hey everyone I applied and was accepted to Cornell this past cycle and will be starting there in the fall, so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask or PM me! :)
Do you mind if I ask for your stats?

Thanks sheltermed! I am actually traveling to Ithaca tomorrow for an admissions presentation and tour. I'm a non-traditional applicant, OOS. I'm not getting my hopes up either haha. Good luck to you and to everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How was the presentation & tour? I'm scheduled to go for the July 8th one. (Also a nontraditional student). I'm mostly going so that my wife can see Ithaca. I feel like she'd really like the town, but so far isn't exactly sold on the idea of moving there for 4 years.

How was the presentation & tour? I'm scheduled to go for the July 8th one. (Also a nontraditional student). I'm mostly going so that my wife can see Ithaca. I feel like she'd really like the town, but so far isn't exactly sold on the idea of moving there for 4 years.
Ithaca is such a nice town! Lots of friendly people, it's pretty, most people are environmentally friendly... I guess it depends on what kind of person your wife is, but I think it's pretty hard to dislike Ithaca!

Reactions: 1 users
Of course not I will PM you!
Would you mind I made the same request?

Non-cognitive skills are things like your attitude, motivation, perhaps empathy - the "non-tangible" skills. Your personality traits. I find it hard to understand how they can judge those without interviewing, but maybe they figure they get enough of an idea through personal statements and supplemental questions.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about your GRE scores - if you're able to retake it and you think you'll do better, definitely do so - but with your GPA (assuming a lot of your high grades come from your pre-reqs/sciences), and from what you've shared so far, I think you make a competitive applicant!

Totally random but when I visited Cornell for the vet school tour they told us about the pre-vet club--I signed up for the newsletter. Are you apart of that? Are there others who are applying this cycle? I wish we had had one at Syracuse. I told someone else a class below me to start one since the thought occurred to me during my second semester of senior year lol. I also had the chance to check out Ithaca during one of their festivals--food and people selling their arts and crafts everywhere. It was amazing! What is the surrounding area like? In regards to what you can do during your free time.

Cornell is also in-state for me--what percentage of their accepted students are in-state? I vaguely remember finding it somewhere but you probably know off bat!

Also--does it matter when we actually submit our application? Would submitting it at the end of June be any different than submitting it in the middle of August? Would someone with equivalent stats be preferred over us if we applied later?

Last edited:
lol I don't have much non-animal related experiences or activities (aside from hobbies). Should probably find something! Working full time at this hospital is very exhausting x.x worked 50 hours this week. I didn't do too much during college either - I was more academically focused... :bag:

Totally random but when I visited Cornell for the vet school tour they told us about the pre-vet club--I signed up for the newsletter. Are you apart of that? Are there others who are applying this cycle? I wish we had had one at Syracuse. I told someone else a class below me to start one since the thought occurred to me during my second semester of senior year lol. I also had the chance to check out Ithaca during one of their festivals--food and people selling their arts and crafts everywhere. It was amazing! What is the surrounding area like? In regards to what you can do during your free time.

Cornell is also in-state for me--what percentage of their accepted students are in-state? I vaguely remember finding it somewhere but you probably know off bat!

Also--does it matter when we actually submit our application? Would submitting it at the end of June be any different than submitting it in the middle of August? Would someone with equivalent stats be preferred over us if we applied later?

I am in the Cornell undergrad Pre Vet Society! We don't release the newsletter though, the vet school releases a pre-vet newsletter every so often. I'm sure there are more Cornell undergrads applying this cycle, but I'm not sure of how many!

There is a slightly higher chance for in-state residents -- there are approximately 65 seats for residents, and 55 for non-residents, according to this year's AAVMC book.

Ithaca is super nice and there is a lot to do. In the winter, things are fairly limited, but I think many people still manage to get things done. Personally, I kind of live under a rock... so I might be a bad person to ask about what there is to do around here, lol. I know of the vast amount of wineries, the farmer's market, hiking, etc. Hope that helps, at least a little
Edit: Forgot to answer the application submission question. Actually, to my understanding, they start reviewing applications all at the same time, no matter when they are submitted. **Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!**

Last edited:
I am in the Cornell undergrad Pre Vet Society! We don't release the newsletter though, the vet school releases a pre-vet newsletter every often. I'm sure there are more Cornell undergrads applying this cycle, but I'm not sure of how many!

There is a slightly higher chance for in-state residents -- there are approximately 65 seats for residents, and 55 for non-residents, according to this year's AAVMC book.

Ithaca is super nice and there is a lot to do. In the winter, things are fairly limited, but I think many people still manage to get things done. Personally, I kind of live under a rock... so I might be a bad person to ask about what there is to do around here, lol. I know of the vast amount of wineries, the farmer's market, hiking, etc. Hope that helps, at least a little :p

Edit: Forgot to answer the application submission question. Actually, to my understanding, they start reviewing applications all at the same time, no matter when they are submitted. **Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!**

What's it like being in a pre vet society? I was in a pre health club before when I was premed. Kind of weird question to ask but I'm just curious =)

65 seats... I guess we can work with that!

I have a Prius so it's not a 4WD or AWD... will that be a problem??? I doubt I'll be able to afford housing 10 minutes away from the campus lol.

I live under a rock too. I will probably continue to live under a different rock if I go to vet school :D

I hope that's the case! Then I'll be able to submit all my applications in the beginning of August and get another month and a half to get experiences in!

What's it like being in a pre vet society? I was in a pre health club before when I was premed. Kind of weird question to ask but I'm just curious =)

65 seats... I guess we can work with that!

I have a Prius so it's not a 4WD or AWD... will that be a problem??? I doubt I'll be able to afford housing 10 minutes away from the campus lol.

I live under a rock too. I will probably continue to live under a different rock if I go to vet school :D

I hope that's the case! Then I'll be able to submit all my applications in the beginning of August and get another month and a half to get experiences in!

Not gonna lie, the Prius will probably suck around here. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that's almost invincible in the snow. The snow plowing around here isn't great...seeing a snow plow is almost like seeing a unicorn around here.

The good news is that I think you will be able to afford housing 10 minutes (or even less!) around here. Most vet students that I know live 3 miles or less from school. I think the average cost of rent per month (per person, so this is probably provided that you have a roommate(s)) is about $500. Utilities are either included, or usually not more than about $50 a month per person. I am moving at the end of the month to an apartment that's about 3.5 miles from school, and it will cost me about $460 a month. As long as you start looking early and find the right people to live with, I think you should be just fine. The bus service here (TCAT) is also very reliable, including in the winter weather. So, "worst" case (in quotes because I don't think it's that bad!) you can take the bus to school on bad days!

The Pre-vet Society is nice because they've introduced me to opportunities around campus (and even abroad) that I might not have otherwise found. They also have a lot of connections with the vet school, and set up panels/tours/events throughout the school year. Also a good way to make friends!

I'm taking a summer class, so I won't even be submitting my final transcript until mid-August. Hopefully it's not going to delay anything!

Not gonna lie, the Prius will probably suck around here. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that's almost invincible in the snow. The snow plowing around here isn't great...seeing a snow plow is almost like seeing a unicorn around here.

The good news is that I think you will be able to afford housing 10 minutes (or even less!) around here. Most vet students that I know live 3 miles or less from school. I think the average cost of rent per month (per person, so this is probably provided that you have a roommate(s)) is about $500. Utilities are either included, or usually not more than about $50 a month per person. I am moving at the end of the month to an apartment that's about 3.5 miles from school, and it will cost me about $460 a month. As long as you start looking early and find the right people to live with, I think you should be just fine. The bus service here (TCAT) is also very reliable, including in the winter weather. So, "worst" case (in quotes because I don't think it's that bad!) you can take the bus to school on bad days!

The Pre-vet Society is nice because they've introduced me to opportunities around campus (and even abroad) that I might not have otherwise found. They also have a lot of connections with the vet school, and set up panels/tours/events throughout the school year. Also a good way to make friends!

I'm taking a summer class, so I won't even be submitting my final transcript until mid-August. Hopefully it's not going to delay anything!

Le sigh... I guess I should have gone with leasing an AWD instead of a Prius but I wanted to save money on gas. D=

The bus service is okay during winter weather? Even though snow plows are like unicorns? haha

That sounds amazing. I'm glad I at least at a few people who I could talk to about vet school =) and of course I had this forum... even though it terrified me because everyone had over 2,000 hours of vet experience or 1,000 research hours. haha What's their take on leadership experience? I don't have much of it and am not sure how to go about it now that I'm out of college?

At most I'm gonna take 4 additional classes this coming fall and spring for some schools who have additional requirements that I haven't met. One for Biochemistry because I only took 1 semester of a 2 semester sequence. x.o Need to start emailing the schools about all the prereqs!

Does Cornell not have a supplement application anymore? There was one last year and I'm not seeing it anywhere am I missing it?

Can anyone that has been to the admissions/tour presentation comment on dress code? Should I try to wear something that is somewhat business/professional or does it not really matter?

Wear something comfortable and closed-toe shoes are a must for the tour portion. Nobody is taking notes on your name/attire.

Can anyone that has been to the admissions/tour presentation comment on dress code? Should I try to wear something that is somewhat business/professional or does it not really matter?

At the accepted student day in February, there was everything from sweatpants/crocs to full suits. I personally went business casual (grey slacks and a nice long sleeved sweater and flats) and was very thankful I wore what I did. You meet lots of professors etc on the tours and presentations and I felt it was worth it to look nice. I wouldn't recommend full blown suits etc, but business casual is a great choice. I don't know about the ones earlier in the admissions season though, but would assume it would be about the same.

Nice and congrats! I will see/meet you at orientation!

Hey everyone! I am applying to Cornell and had a question I hope someone can help with.

In VMCAS under Cornell's question section, one of the essays says: "Describe a situation where you have learned from experience". Did anyone write this already? I am stuck on this question because there could be bunch of things you could write for this. I honestly have no idea what to write for this. If anyone has any suggestions for this that would be great.

Hey everyone! I am applying to Cornell and had a question I hope someone can help with.

In VMCAS under Cornell's question section, one of the essays says: "Describe a situation where you have learned from experience". Did anyone write this already? I am stuck on this question because there could be bunch of things you could write for this. I honestly have no idea what to write for this. If anyone has any suggestions for this that would be great.
I'm stuck on this too. It's an open ended question on purpose, so you can write about any situation whether or not it's related to animals or vet med. Maybe you volunteered at a senior center or helped someone choose a pet to adopt, maybe TA'd a class and really helped someone...things like that!

I'm stuck on this too. It's an open ended question on purpose, so you can write about any situation whether or not it's related to animals or vet med. Maybe you volunteered at a senior center or helped someone choose a pet to adopt, maybe TA'd a class and really helped someone...things like that!

Ya I'm stuck!

Do they mean learned from an experience you had, and what you learned from it?

Hello all! Who has done the VMCAS Cornell-specific questions? I'm almost done. I feel like my answers just aren't exciting. Anybody else struggle finding things to write about?

Hello all! Who has done the VMCAS Cornell-specific questions? I'm almost done. I feel like my answers just aren't exciting. Anybody else struggle finding things to write about?
I completely agree. I am really stuck on that last question!

i'm a nontraditional student so it was somewhat easier for me to write these essays since I have more to draw upon. My only advice for everyone is to try and include stuff that isn't evident in the rest of your application. Cornell doesn't interview, so this is your only shot to give them a bigger picture of you as a candidate.

I posted this already, but I really need help because I am unsure about what exactly the question means.. The question is: "Describe a situation where you have learned from experience". To those of you who have applied and/or go to Cornell currently, does this mean something you have learned from something you did, or something you went through? I don't know what they mean by this..

Thank you in advance!

for those that have already submitted, have you setup your tracking page yet? Mine says that my VMCAS application has been received and that my GRE scores have been received, but none of my pre-requisite courses have been verified. Just curious if they do that verification at a later date or if its something I should contact them about.

Submitted VMCAS over a month ago and randomly decided to add Cornell today:)

for those that have already submitted, have you setup your tracking page yet? Mine says that my VMCAS application has been received and that my GRE scores have been received, but none of my pre-requisite courses have been verified. Just curious if they do that verification at a later date or if its something I should contact them about.

How long did it take for anything to pop up on your tracking page? I got verified today, but there is absolutely nothing on my page..

[edited] soo I just reread my emails from them and it says it might take a few days after being verified because the data are entered manually crisis averted haha

Last edited:
Long-time lurker, finally decided to hop in. I'm actually wrapping up my applications right before the deadline, so I'll happy when it's all done and everything is submitted.

Currently a student at Cornell, still unsure whether or not I'd be okay with four more years of Ithaca...