Cornell Qatar admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey mkitty

congrats on the interview, if you dont mind sharing, what questions did they ask you?

Members don't see this ad.

there were no actual interview questions. All of my three interviews were really really laid back, more like conversations than interviews. Only one interviewer asked me about my extracurriculars, but even that was really chill.

but as i mentioned before, all three asked me point blank why i wanted to attend med school in qatar when i could attend it in the states. I guess thats the only real question that was asked.

mmm...i would wonder the same about americans...esp if they have already gotten into schools there...unless they have ME ties

Members don't see this ad :)
hey did anyone hear back from cornell for the medical program yet? mkitty did u get in?

i havent heard back yet. salafiyyah, have you heard back?

mmm...looks like they are just a bit late in informing ppl...

seemed like a better place to put my question !

i wanted to ask whether is the MCAT is an absolute requirement for admission to weill cornell qatar (MD program) ??

i hold a bachelors degree in dental surgery (equivalent to dds/dmd). i have a cgpa of 3.53. 3 years of clinical rotations in medicine, surgery and all dental fields. volunteering as well as casualty/ER postings. i also have covered most basic sciences courses during the first 2 yrs of dental school and got mostly A's and B's in them. Total of 136 Credits for 4 yrs of dental school.

what are my chances ??:confused:

can any1 help ?? appreciate it....

hey schandan

yes, the MCAT is an absolute requirement, they do not consider your application unless you have it

have any of the external applicants heard back yet?

btw...their 2009 match results are out. once again, pretty impressive.

I guess its high time to make this thread alive again. I am trying to fill in my courses on the online application. I studied at at semester based Canadian school which uses 0.5/1.0 weightage for courses which are semester long or year long, respectively. These weightages are mentioned on my transcript. While entering my courses onto the WCMC-Q application, I am asked to enter "credit hours." Now I know that 0.5 = 3 credit hours if no lab and 4 hours if I have a lab component. Should I do this conversion and mention 3/4 hours even though they are not on my transcript? I never did that for AMCAS and entered weightages as they appear on my transcript i.e. 0.5/1 and AMCAS automatically changed my weightages into credit hours after verification.

and by the way I ve lived in Hijaz my whole life and want to return back to the MIddle Eastern societies. I want to go to Qatar so that I can contribute back to the Arab society. Lets see if that reasoning convinces WCMC-Q.

Any pre med students in Cornell? (preferably from Canada/U.S)

I just graduated from high school and am nervous in applying to the pre-med :|

Just submitted my app to medical school at Cornell Qatar. May Ar-Rehman bless it and give me an acceptance here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anybody heard back yet? :)

My status now says "decision pending", it said "under review" a week before....OOoooOoo...

I'm tired of waiting, does anyone know when we will be getting decisions?!

Do you know how many people apply to the medical program?

Hello,
I am a female, jordanian citizen that moved to the US four years ago with my family. I am going to finish up with my undergrad in two years.
my freshman year was at a US college and i maintained a 3.8 GPA
sophmore year i transferred to a major university and it was very difficult in the beginning. My GPA dropped dramatically but i raised it to near a 3.0
however.....i had to move AGAIN with my family because of personal issues and at this new university i am planning on getting As in all my classes. I know i'm capable of doing it but only god knows what would happen. if i raise my gpa to a 3.2 or alittle bit more and get a good score on the MCAT would i have a chance at cornell in qatar?
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go there. its my number one option and i'm planning on living in qatar for a very long time after medical school too.

I am jordanian so i'm middle eastern i dont have american citizienship..
is that bad? which is better? having an american citizenship and applying or being a middle eastern jordnian?

also i have multiple volunteer experiences.
I am both fluent in arabic, english and I can undestand french well. I also had experience with spanish and plan to expand that.

I volunteered at a cancer center for more than a year, and at a well known hospital in the emergency department for a year

I tutored kids at an orphanage for a while, and plan to go to an orphanage in thaliand this summer and do research over there as well.

I am going to shadow 2 doctors maybe more soon and look for more research opportunities.
Please tell me what my chances are.
are there any jordanians or arab with my situation that got accepted to cornell in qatar with a gpa that is around the 3.2-3.3?
also, if i dont get into cornell after my undergrad, will havinga masters degree help? or a post bac? cuz if i dont get accepted I will continue to get a masters degree and apply again to cornell in qatar.
as you can tell it is my dream to go there!i was going to finish studying in the US anyway and go back to the middle east to practice medicine over there. but now that i know about cornell in qatar I would rather go there!
Please share all the information that you have and give me tips on what to do PLEASE!
thank you:)

Does anyone know that if you're invited for an interview, do you have to go all the way to Qatar or can you get one at the Cornell campus in NYC?

Apparently I heard that more non-Qatari citizens apply than Qatar citizens and that the spots are around 50 or so. Also, if you end up getting an interview you have a very good chance of getting. This is what a few people have been telling me so I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

Hi do you know what the average gpa for weill cornell in qatar is? i know they say its the same as NY but is it really? and do u have a better chance by applying as a middle eastern?
thank you

Does anyone know that if you're invited for an interview, do you have to go all the way to Qatar or can you get one at the Cornell campus in NYC?

Apparently I heard that more non-Qatari citizens apply than Qatar citizens and that the spots are around 50 or so. Also, if you end up getting an interview you have a very good chance of getting. This is what a few people have been telling me so I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

No, the interview HAS to be in Qatar. I asked them personally when I went there to visit. Also, getting an interview does not mean you have a high chance of getting in. That's what it says on their website. Just means that you are one step closer!

Did you apply this year? If so what are your stats?

Hi do you know what the average gpa for weill cornell in qatar is? i know they say its the same as NY but is it really? and do u have a better chance by applying as a middle eastern?
thank you

It is the same as NY (3.54?) And you dont have a better chance applying as a middle eastern, except if you are Qatari citizen.

thank you for ur reply,
well i hope i raise my gpa to a 3.54 then....if i dont raise my gpa up to a 3.5 for undergrad, but finish a masters program after that would that help with the addmission?
who knows if its better applying with a jordanian citizenship or american green card?
thanks!

thank you for ur reply,
well i hope i raise my gpa to a 3.54 then....if i dont raise my gpa up to a 3.5 for undergrad, but finish a masters program after that would that help with the addmission?
who knows if its better applying with a jordanian citizenship or american green card?
thanks!

Try raising it to at least 3.50 and apply. If you can't get to 3.5 then try finishing a masters program if you really want to go to Cornell-Q. Otherwise you could apply to other medical schools in the US (MD/DO). I personally have a 3.55 so I'm right on average, but my MCAT score is very low...

I personally have both a jordanian and a canadian citizenship. I didn't really think about that factor really... But I applied as a Canadian, however I mentioned that I lived in the middle east for a while.

Hey.
I wrote this elsewhere before but since there r more people here - i'l reiterate.
it really doesnt matter with which passport u apply - being an external applicant is good enough as it is - coz u bring diversity. but if u have more than one, apply with whatever u think is better. theres no preference for qataris over non-qataris, intnl over local, internal over external - the number of seats isnt as fixed as it seems, the incoming med classes increases in size every year so this year would be no different.
and have u guys had ur interviews yet? coz i heard its supposed to be in jan for ya;ll? i think if they call u for interviews, they do think ur a good candidate - from what i knw from premed, about 90% of those interviewed get admission.
also mcat scores above 30 are considered competitive. im not that sure about gpas tho.
also. im a second year premed at cornell qatar. applying for med. fall 2010. that actually should hv been what i started with. but oh well.
hope this helps!

Hey z89! Seeing two posts for you in both of the threads about the Middle East's schools made me a bit anxious :D i'm glad that you don't carry any bad news but rather you make it sound a bit better

My status now says "decision pending", it said "under review" a week before....OOoooOoo...

I'm tired of waiting, does anyone know when we will be getting decisions?!

Do you know how many people apply to the medical program?

mine is decision pending too ... ya Rubb ....

because i havent gotten into Canadian and US schools with my stats .... its a bitter world.

Are you kidding?! Wow man that's really unbelievable.... not saying your lying but its unfair!!! And I'm complaining about not being accepted haha (I have a 26 MCAT...). Do you think race is an issue...I believe so.

You should try again, maybe you're missing something in your application. Ask why they rejected you and apply to Canada again. Why go to Qatar when you can very easily get to a top Canadian school (saves tons of $$$$, and you can practice in Canada). Plus you are from UofT (so am I), and I know how hard it is to get anywhere over 3.50. So you got something there.

Are you kidding?! Wow man that's really unbelievable.... not saying your lying but its unfair!!! And I'm complaining about not being accepted haha (I have a 26 MCAT...). Do you think race is an issue...I believe so.

You should try again, maybe you're missing something in your application. Ask why they rejected you and apply to Canada again. Why go to Qatar when you can very easily get to a top Canadian school (saves tons of $$$$, and you can practice in Canada). Plus you are from UofT (so am I), and I know how hard it is to get anywhere over 3.50. So you got something there.

UWO - cant apply cuz of VR
Queens - rejected cuz this year they have 10 VR
UofT - cGPA is too low
UO - maybe
Mac - VR is again 9
McGill - Too low of cgpa

I do not see how I am competitive for Canada. Even US has not turned out to be good. I think that is because I applied kind of late compared to other Canadians.

UWO - cant apply cuz of VR
Queens - rejected cuz this year they have 10 VR
UofT - cGPA is too low
UO - maybe
Mac - VR is again 9
McGill - Too low of cgpa

I do not see how I am competitive for Canada. Even US has not turned out to be good. I think that is because I applied kind of late compared to other Canadians.

Isn't your cgpa 3.79? That is pretty high and might get you to UofT or McGill. Did they all reject you already or are these assumptions?

good luck to guys applying. My friend got in here last year from UT.

Last edited:
Isn't your cgpa 3.79? That is pretty high and might get you to UofT or McGill. Did they all reject you already or are these assumptions?

my ontario cgpa is a bit lower as OMSAS scale takes 85%-89% as 3.9 gpa and not 4.00.

Those are my experiences from last two year, I did not bother wasting my money applying to those schools this year. On pm101, anyone who interviews at UT as cgpa above 3.85ish, so i stand no chance and that has been proven true from previous 2 years. Same with McGill. And ooh, Dalhouise too.

my ontario cgpa is a bit lower as OMSAS scale takes 85%-89% as 3.9 gpa and not 4.00.

Those are my experiences from last two year, I did not bother wasting my money applying to those schools this year. On pm101, anyone who interviews at UT as cgpa above 3.85ish, so i stand no chance and that has been proven true from previous 2 years. Same with McGill. And ooh, Dalhouise too.

Wow you've been applying for more than 3 years now, did you do masters what did you do after graduating? I hope you get accepted somewhere soon.
I really cannot waste a year so I might just go to the Caribbean (got accepted to SGU) if I do not get accepted anywhere else.

Don't waste a year Handsome88 if you can. I finished my biochem degree then was naive enough to do a M.Sc. thinking it would help in Canada and the US (victim of my own wishful thinking) and it didn't. I wasted three years when I could have gone to SGU back then and here I am applying to SGU again and of course my baby Cornell Qatar. one year is a wasted future salary of at least 100-200K.

hey everyone
i am applying for Cornell -qatar pre-med and i just wana know wat are my chances

i am above average in everything but i don't know about the SAT cuz i did it twice and the last one was in 23/1 but the first one was pretty good but the 2nd one i think i dd it bad, anyhow do u ppl think i have a chance in getting or not? thanQ :confused:

Wow you've been applying for more than 3 years now, did you do masters what did you do after graduating? I hope you get accepted somewhere soon.
I really cannot waste a year so I might just go to the Caribbean (got accepted to SGU) if I do not get accepted anywhere else.
ajjaejsjajjsjasas

Last edited:
Don't waste a year Handsome88 if you can. I finished my biochem degree then was naive enough to do a M.Sc. thinking it would help in Canada and the US (victim of my own wishful thinking) and it didn't. I wasted three years when I could have gone to SGU back then and here I am applying to SGU again and of course my baby Cornell Qatar. one year is a wasted future salary of at least 100-200K.

thanx for the advise! i've heard that before and that's why im not going to do masters (specially not in biochem lol). What do you think of SGU? What have you heard about it...is there a catch? Should I go? If I go will I have good placements?

well thats gonna be my second plan after cornell. I think it's a great school and frankly seeing how u will do all your clinicals in the US in a way it's better than cornell Qatar.

why arent you guys looking into Australia? I think Australia provides you better opportunities than carribean? If you can land a residency in Australia, you get paid higher for same specialties compared to the US!

I got accepted to UQ over there and didn't go. their situation is not encouraging at all. In order to become a doctor and get that residency (as in landed immigrant) you need to first get an internship (and then the medical residency). and currently there are not enough spots to train IMGs.. They are going through a medical student tsunami .. so after you graduate medical school it will be super hard if not impossible to become a licensed physician and your best bet is to go for a US residency.. in this case the caribbean will prepare you much better and will give you greater opportunities

also i disagree regarding money. Practicing medicine in the US is definitely more lucrative than in Australia. they make good money of course especially if you are willing to go to remote areas but not like the potential of practice in the US.

I got accepted to UQ over there and didn't go. their situation is not encouraging at all. In order to become a doctor and get that residency (as in landed immigrant) you need to first get an internship (and then the medical residency). and currently there are not enough spots to train IMGs.. They are going through a medical student tsunami .. so after you graduate medical school it will be super hard if not impossible to become a licensed physician and your best bet is to go for a US residency.. in this case the caribbean will prepare you much better and will give you greater opportunities

also i disagree regarding money. Practicing medicine in the US is definitely more lucrative than in Australia. they make good money of course especially if you are willing to go to remote areas but not like the potential of practice in the US.

How does the carribean get you better opportunities...I got accepted into SGU and now I'm hearing that it is impossible to get good residensies (I wanted to go into derm), they are telling me that 95% of the time you are going to get a residency in either Pediatrics, family practice or internal medicine (and only in US, not in Canada). None of these are residencies I'm willing to do after all this time and money and effort. Surgery is possible but only if you have very high scores and they are saying that this will be even more rare in the future.

Can you tell me why is the carib. a good alternative?

I have seen a derm match or two but i wouldn't bet on it. But you can definitely do surgery why not? there are lots of surgery matches.
and IM is very good and lucrative. don't be fooled by the notion. You can probably do very well with a gastrointerology fellowship.

the reason why the caribbean is better (in my opinion) is due to the fact that you spend two years doing clinicals in US hospitals and you learn the US system from day one! that's an amazing opportunity for you to learn about the different programs and the in's and out's and to get good references which can help you get the residency you want

it might also be possible that people are already discouraged from applying to derm that's why there isn't many matches.. but perhaps if you put some effort into it then you can get it easily.

also let's keep this about Cornell Qatar. We can talk about the caribbean in the other forum!

also let's keep this about Cornell Qatar. We can talk about the caribbean in the other forum!

Yea sorry we went off topic!

I hope monday will bring good news. Does anyone know what's taking them so long...

I hope so. The wait is pretty cruel. When I came back from Syria this Christmas holiday I got an email from them asking for updated official transcripts. So i sent them right away and they confirmed the receipt when I called them (Jan 25).. But to this day it still says Further Documents Needed and Decision Pending! they told me back then that within two weeks we should hopefully hear something.. so yeah it's about time now it will be two weeks this monday.

I hope so. The wait is pretty cruel. When I came back from Syria this Christmas holiday I got an email from them asking for updated official transcripts. So i sent them right away and they confirmed the receipt when I called them (Jan 25).. But to this day it still says Further Documents Needed and Decision Pending! they told me back then that within two weeks we should hopefully hear something.. so yeah it's about time now it will be two weeks this monday.

Will they send us an email/call or will it be by mail. Because mail will reach me a month late...

Interview Invite from WCMC-Q MD Program this morning. Super excited!!!!!!

I am from US and have average stats.

Haven't received anything yet. I'm getting really worried :( When did you guys get your invites?

wow congratulations! when are the the interview dates?

Medmad can you tell us your stats please? :oops: