Cornell University: Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So vet students (or pre-vets who've visited the campus), what is housing like at Cornell?

I know there's on-campus & OCH, and some OCH specially for vet students (Woo! We can sob together!), but aside from that I didn't really get much out of the school website's page for it. :/

Members don't see this ad.

The campus townhouses are pretty nice and have AC and kitchens/living rooms, but they are on the opposite end of campus as the hospital.

I did my undergrad there, so I'm not entirely sure what is best for vet students, but I can give you some info about it.

In terms of OCH, there are a couple grad student dorms (like the townhouses firefly mentioned, hasbrouck apartments etc). They're mostly located on north campus, and some of those cater to families as well. I don't know too much about them, but in general most of Cornells OCH is decent, though it can get expensive depending on what you choose. Its my personal preference to live off campus though, which I think most people do in vet school. There are tons of off campus apartment options all around campus, so you'll be able to find something that suits you. Most undergrads live in Collegetown which is south of campus, so unless you want to live in that sort of environment, I'd advise against living there. Rent gets stupidly high unless you live on the fringes of collegetown, and it can get rather rowdy on the weekends. It's also not super convenient locationwise, as the vet school is on the east side of central campus, which took me about 30 minutes to walk from the heart of collegetown. I knew a few vet students that lived east of the vet school off of dryden road (there's an apartment complex near there that I used to walk dogs in) that are super close to the vet school and in a much quieter area. Some of my other vet friends also lived in off campus apartments and houses closer to north campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cyndia wrote pretty much what I was going to say. I live 5-6 minutes east of the vet school and rent is pretty reasonable. Most of us live within a 15 minute drive. You can rent from a property/leasing company or private individual. I lived in an apartment with two other classmates my first two years and just moved to a house slightly father away from the school (paying less in rent and a backyard? Yes please!)

Reactions: 1 user
This question would have been good in another thread like the cornell c/o 2018 thread.

If you continue to make new threads for every question, it will clutter up the forums. Please consider if there is another place you could ask your question in the future.