Cornell vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you rather go?

• Cornell

Votes: 54 41.5%
  • Columbia

Votes: 76 58.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what others think about the two New York powerhouses. Which do you prefer, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious as to what others think about the two New York powerhouses. Which do you prefer, and why?

for me, columbia has a leg up due to

*more diverse pt population at main hospital
*much closer to main campus
*stronger academic medicine focus

i think cornell has the better location, but for both you'd have to travel to get to downtown anyway. ppl have debated their match list differences before (there are lots of threads that do this comparison).

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have to make a decision between the two, which school did you like better and why?

I chose cornell over columbia mainly because i disregarded us news rank and looked at everything else besides that. for reasons that are expressed in other posts in other threads, cornells us news rank is low because it doesnt consider its affiliations with rockefeller, MSK or HSS (best orthopedic surgery hospital in country), and i thnk columbia must include some funding from its main campus 50 blocks south of it in morningside heights. anyways, i thought cornell had better affiliations and was definitely in a better area. I mean, do you think the best doctors in new york are going to want to work in the upper east side or washington heights? I don't know if this even makes sense but I figured big whigs would like UES. Cornell also had a more impressive match list in the specialty that i was considering. In the end, i feel like people on SDN rank things based on US news and thats it. they don't put in the effort to learn more about the school than that. if it means anything, cornell ranked above columbia in 1990 lolol.

.Here's a summary from 1990:
TOP MEDICAL SCHOOLS

1. Harvard University
2. John Hopkins University, Md.
3. Duke University, N.C.
4. Univ. of California at San Francisco
5. Yale University, Conn.
6. Washington University, Mo.
7. Cornell University, N.Y.
8. Columbia University, N.Y.
9. University of Washington
10. University of Pennsylvania
11. Univ. of California at Los Angeles
12. Stanford University, Calif.
13. University of Michigan
14. Baylor, Tex.
15. University of Chicago .

Cornell has its music and medicine initiative, but Columbia has the P&S club. I would be more than happy either if I were so blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.