Cornell vs Michigan State- Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mufasa007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been reading threads for awhile on this forum and now I feel I could really use some help- I am very grateful that I got into both Michigan State (my in-state) and Cornell. I am having a lot of trouble deciding, and need to do so by April 15th! While going to Michigan State, or MSU, will certainly be less tuition for me, I am worried I will not have as good an experience there as I would at Cornell. I visited both campuses and I really preferred Cornell- I had a much better experience with all the faculty there, the facilities were wonderful, and I think I will really like problem based learning. It seems that MSU is much more lecture based, which is okay, but it is not how I learn best.

I was hoping that those with more knowledge about the programs at Cornell and/or MSU could give me an idea of how they feel about the schools or how those schools compare, particularly for public health and equine sports medicine since I am interested in both of those fields. Also, any insight as to how what veterinary school you attend affects career prospects later on would be helpful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to the cheapest option! Unless the difference is only a few thousand over 4 years. Vet school is what you make of it!

Reactions: 1 user
See what Cornell's aid package is like. I got enough gift aid my first year to bring OOS tuition from ~44k to mid-low 30s FWIW. If that gets you into the same ballpark as MSU, consider attending. Otherwise, it's a tough decision between finances and comfort. Both schools will make you a great vet.

As for your interests, Cornell students can do an MPH through the University of Minnesota and there are a few elective courses on transboundary diseases/epidemiology outside of the material presented in the core curriculum if that's your interest. As for horses, we have some fantastic large animal orthopedic surgeons and I know several students who have done research projects in those labs. As for the 'Cornell' branding on your degree, most vets won't care though clients might think it's nifty. It probably helped me a little bit last year when I applied for an Army commission too. I don't know if it's worth an extra 100k for most students, especially if you're paying your own way.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks both of you so much for your input! I am crunching the numbers now. Bismarck, how have you/your classmates enjoyed PBL?

If anyone out there goes to Michigan State and can comment on how they feel about the school, that would be great. Thanks again!

I liked PBL as it gives you the opportunity to develop critical thinking skills about the material being presented in class. You will work through cases and have to interpret data, make hypotheses, and look up information to better understand the case. The faculty tutor is there to referee the process and keep you on track so that you cover the desired aspects of the case (e.g. physiology during a physiology block). It can be helpful to have classmates who 'get it' walk you through material at the board if you find approaching faculty a bit daunting.

I'm an undergrad at Michigan State, so I can tell you what I've HEARD, not what I KNOW. A thread on here recently brought up the fact that clinicals are way overcrowded at MSU. I am not sure if that happens at other vet schools. I've heard the staff and faculty are beyond supportive! Also, MSU opens the door to zoo/wildlife, LA, SA, you name it. They have well-known vets in every field. We even have our own well-established campus farms (beef, dairy, sheep, swine, poultry/mink, equine) that vet students get to work on as needed. I know this isn't much help, but I hope it shows you some of was MSU has to offer!

Hey there. What exactly would you like to know about MSU?
Most of our learning is lecture based, but there are two courses- 1 in semester 2 and 1 in semester 3- that are PBL based and help to tie together information from all other courses . It works well to explain how topics from different classes come together in medicine.
If MSU is your instate and Cornell isn't offering you any scholarships, I strongly suggest you go to MSU. It will be considerably cheaper and the quality of education is just as good as it is at Cornell.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.