Cornell vs. UTSW vs. UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMtoHO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need help:

Set on pursuing Heme/Onc after residency, but want to get EXCELLENT clinical training in medicine. Location is not an issue for me, all I want is to become an astute internist and follow that up with the best clinical training in heme-onc.

1. Am I shooting myself in the foot by putting Cornell over UTSW in terms of getting an excellent clinical IM education?
  2. Is it wise to put UTSW over Cornell when the latter gives me the opportunity to possibly train at Sloan-Kettering (btw, are most Cornell grads in Sloan-Kettering MD/PhDs?).
  3. Where does UNC fall in this list of shools?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I need help:

Set on pursuing Heme/Onc after residency, but want to get EXCELLENT clinical training in medicine. Location is not an issue for me, all I want is to become an astute internist and follow that up with the best clinical training in heme-onc.

1. Am I shooting myself in the foot by putting Cornell over UTSW in terms of getting an excellent clinical IM education?
  2. Is it wise to put UTSW over Cornell when the latter gives me the opportunity to possibly train at Sloan-Kettering (btw, are most Cornell grads in Sloan-Kettering MD/PhDs?).
Thanks

A fair number of the heme-onc people going from Cornell to Sloan Kettering are short tracking. What was odd I felt was that one year they placed like 6 people at Sloan, and most other years it was like 2 or 3...which is similar to what Columbia and NYU place at sloan. (NYU residents rotate through Sloan as well as Cornell residents.) As an aside, I don't think everyone wants to do a heme-onc fellowship at a comprehensive cancer center like Sloan which isn't part of an actual university, especially if they are interested in academic medicine careers. It depends on personal preference as to that.

Guys, I need help:

Thanks

At what point did you get the impression that UTSW is better than Cornell? You will do well if you go to either. Ask yourself the real question - do you want to live in Texas or do you want to live in NYC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar boat and really liked Cornell but will be ranking UTSW above it, mainly because I would rather not be in NYC for residency. Also, I felt the cardiology preparation at UTSW was phenomenal.

Both places will train you well but in drastically different ways. Go with whatever you feel better at. From your post, it seems like you're leaning towards Cornell, and for those interested in H/O, its really a phenomenal choice. You are certainly not hurting yourself with this move.

I can't speak to the quality of heme-onc at UNC, but that new cancer hospital is sweeeeet.

My tour guide at my UNC interview day is sticking around for heme-onc, and she seemed very happy with her decision.

And being from TX, I don't think of heme-onc as being one of UTSW's relative strengths -- MD Anderson is the gold standard by which folks in TX measure those programs.

I feel UTSW belongs in the same flavor category as JHU or MGH or Columbia (where it seems like you're forced to get good, fast), and Cornell is slightly less rigorous in that regard. But, I do not think that the Cornell folks are lacking in their competency as clinicians in any way, nor would you call the program cush (like BI, for instance).

I can't speak to the quality of heme-onc at UNC, but that new cancer hospital is sweeeeet.

My tour guide at my UNC interview day is sticking around for heme-onc, and she seemed very happy with her decision.

And being from TX, I don't think of heme-onc as being one of UTSW's relative strengths -- MD Anderson is the gold standard by which folks in TX measure those programs.

I feel UTSW belongs in the same flavor category as JHU or MGH or Columbia (where it seems like you're forced to get good, fast), and Cornell is slightly less rigorous in that regard. But, I do not think that the Cornell folks are lacking in their competency as clinicians in any way, nor would you call the program cush (like BI, for instance).
Dang, boy. That's some trash talking about programs you have little insight into or practical experience of.

Guys, I need help:

I'm loving your attitude...Cornell and UTSW are both amazing programs, and I feel UTSW is underrated for the quality of the clinical education. It's also seems very rigorous/intense there but if you want to be the most astute internist possible, that's not a bad thing. UNC is not a strong as those programs imo but very good...if you love UNC's style go for it.

As someone else posted, it really is about where you want to live, for residency and maybe long-term. Now, I think going from UNC to Sloan-Kettering or MD Anderson for fellowship may be a bit more difficult (I'm sure someone will post a match list to contradict this...counting 5, 4, 3, 2,...). I only say this b/c from what I've seen, there are strong regional preferences for fellowship spots, both on the part of fellowship PDs and residents. So if you eventually want to do Heme/Onc (or any subspecialty) in the northeast, Cornell may be a safer bet than say UNC.

This is thinking very far ahead, and you may change specialties, so go where you want to live for 3+ years. I feel that any of these programs will give you great training, but my bias is to UTSW over Cornell simply because of style and diversity of patient experiences, not necessarily competence.