"Correct" Way to Refer to White and Black People?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qszwdxefc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what the self-identification options on the AMCAS primary were? I'm referring to race in one of my secondaries and I'm using White and Black, but I forget if this is the "politically correct" way.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps caucasian and african-american? In some cases it is awkward and unnecessary to be politically correct though.

Idk about "politically correct" but in medicine, saying White or Black is perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
White or black is fine, no need to capitalize. African-American isn't necessarily accurate, because some black Americans are of Latin American or Caribbean descent. Caucasian also includes populations that aren't typically considered white, e.g. north Africans and Middle Easterners.

Reactions: 6 users
Idk about "politically correct" but in medicine, saying White or Black is perfectly acceptable.

... and if referring to yourself, even more so. You don't have to be 'politically correct' when referring to yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
I usually play it safe and go with either brother/sister or brothah/sistah.

In all seriousness, everyone before me is correct--black and white is fine.

Reactions: 4 users
White or black is fine, no need to capitalize. African-American isn't necessarily accurate, because some black Americans are of Latin American or Caribbean descent. Caucasian also includes populations that aren't typically considered white, e.g. north Africans and Middle Easterners.
African American could never work because there are white guys in Africa too!

How was this thread not trolled harder?

Reactions: 3 users
I always thought with official forms race was what the government perceives you as: African American, east Asian, Caucasian, etc. and ethnicity was what you personally identify with black, white, European, Taiwanese, Nigerian, etc.

Maybe pre-allo is turning over a new leaf :clap:

Let's test this hypothesis.......Affirmative Action...........*ducks for cover*

Reactions: 1 user
I always thought with official forms race was what the government perceives you as: African American, east Asian, Caucasian, etc. and ethnicity was what you personally identify with black, white, European, Taiwanese, Nigerian, etc.

Not really.

Broadly, race is biological. It's your physical appearance. Ethnicity is cultural. The group of people you identify with. There are many ethnicities within a race.

Black/white is race. Caucasian/African-American/Asian is race. Nigerian is ethnicity. Taiwanese is ethnicity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just quote the lyrics to "Ebony and Ivory"; most PC way I can imagine -they'll know what you're jiving at.

Does anyone remember what the self-identification options on the AMCAS primary were? I'm referring to race in one of my secondaries and I'm using White and Black, but I forget if this is the "politically correct" way.

I wouldn't refer to that as the "correct" way. Maybe the "safe" way depending on who reads it. Depending on the context, "Black" and "White" will probably get your point across just fine. Do remember that not all Black people are from Africa, so the term, "African American," may or may not be accurate depending on who you are speaking about. For that matter, perhaps more obviously, not all Black people are Americans either.

And if you end up talking about this in your interview, remember that the tone of voice you use when saying the name of another person's race is equally as important as how you refer to them.

Last edited:
Not really.

Broadly, race is biological. It's your physical appearance. Ethnicity is cultural. The group of people you identify with. There are many ethnicities within a race.

Black/white is race. Caucasian/African-American/Asian is race. Nigerian is ethnicity. Taiwanese is ethnicity.

:rolleyes: isn't that what I just said..............

Well you said black/white was ethnicity. And something about the government.

I said race is based on what the government perceives you as which is physical
and ethnicity is what you identify with personally which is cultural

either way we are both right it was just explained differently

Well now you're just getting off topic :nono:

:ninja:
How do you get the Moderator position? I'm not questioning your authority, I'm just genuinely curious about how you go about that process.

You can self-identify with both race and ethnicity. Such as Asian (race) and Chinese (ethnicity).

On the US census, you can still identify as negro. I feel stupid saying African-American, unless I am trolling some jerk in public and want to sound super liberal.

There are no universal physical racial characteristics. They are arbitrary and subject to change over time and between cultures.

Whatever happened to using "White Chocolate" and "Dark Chocolate" to refer to them?

On a more serious note, I agree with people above (that black and white is fine). Although somehow I always find myself saying African-American and white (weird double standard, I know)

Chocolate and vanilla swirlllllll

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't see this mentioned, but don't use "African American" to refer to black people in general. A black guy visiting from France is not an African American.

The word black is fine. It's not a pejorative.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't see this mentioned, but don't use "African American" to refer to black people in general. A black guy visiting from France is not an African American.

The word black is fine. It's not a pejorative.

So much truth. I had to watch some documentary a few years back in class about this rich white family visiting Africa and they kept calling them African Americans! I guess the tribes were getting offended. Same thing as I have met black Europeans and Australians and they get so annoyed when people call them that. They are not even American.

African American could never work because there are white guys in Africa too!
Christian-Bale.png

Technically African.