correlation between ACT and MCAT scores???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steska

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people that did well on the ACT's/SAT's generally do well on the MCAT? I just decided med school was the route I want to go and I will be taking the MCAT in august (in prereq classes now but havent started studying for MCAT yet). I am concerned with how I will do, my GPA is pretty good and ACT score way back when was 28, not great but not terrible. Do you think with steady studying this summer could get me into the 28-30+ range on the MCAT? I have no clue how I will do and am pretty nervous about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a free practice test at Kaplan or Princeton - then you'll know what you're in for, and that will both motivate you and remove some fear of the unknown.

I never took the SATs. Keep in mind the MCAT is a test of your knowledge but is also a test of your mental fortitude...it's a mind game. So, play it right - take the mystique out of it and beard the beast in its den.

I don't think there's that much of a correlation. People who do well on the ACT/SATs may be capable of doing well on the MCAT, but that is in no way a guarantee nor a requisite. The MCAT is all about 3 things, knowing the material, practice, and confidence. So as long as you cover all the material you need to know for the test, spend enough time studying, take enough practice tests and feel good about yourself going into it, you'll be just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about how you did on the ACTs affecting your MCAT. If you're concerned, test-prep companies like Kaplan and Princeton Review can be very helpful. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet though, that is someone could get a 45 on the ACT, they'd easily get a 45 on the MCAT. :laugh:

Actually, I recall seeing that there was a correlation. I looked into it because my MCAT and ACT were the exact same score. I also did an informal poll here on SDN and there seemed to be quite a bit of correlation. Of course, this doesn't mean that your MCAT score is predetermined. But, while the ACT doesn't require much (or any) study, the MCAT does, and I would think - just my hunch - that the learning curve for your MCAT score tends to level out at about that of your ACT. Assuming you made a good effort on your ACT, you should make that same score on you MCAT with effort, but to get a great deal higher will take considerable effort. I'd like to see a real study on the question...it's interesting.

eh, maybe. I got a 1540 on the SATs, but I haven't been able to quite break 33 on the MCATs. Didn't really have to worry about orgo and bio back 5 years ago in 11th grade though.

curlycity said:
Take a free practice test at Kaplan or Princeton.

I second this, but would also suggest the free AAMC test 3R as a pretty good predictor. Kaplan and TPR want your business, so they tend to give unrealistically difficult diagnostic tests.

liverotcod said:
I second this, but would also suggest the free AAMC test 3R as a pretty good predictor. Kaplan and TPR want your business, so they tend to give unrealistically difficult diagnostic tests.

I second Liver. This is true - I scored two points above my last diag on the real thing.

curlycity said:
I second Liver. This is true - I scored two points above my last diag on the real thing.
I actually preferred the fact that they were a bit more difficult, they told us this the entire time so it wasn't as if we didn't. As for correlation between ACT and MCAT i highly doubt it since they are on different scoring scales correct?

PublicEnemy said:
eh, maybe. I got a 1540 on the SATs, but I haven't been able to quite break 33 on the MCATs. Didn't really have to worry about orgo and bio back 5 years ago in 11th grade though.

I guess this makes sense, since the MCAT and ACT are more achievement tests while the SAT is an aptitude test.

I think there is very little correlation. People change quite a bit from highschool to college especially about how seriously they take tests. I did OK on SAT (1270) but much better on MCAT. I think I got a 23 on ACT but I was a sophomore in high school and I didn't realize it was important. 35 MCAT.

I'll see if there is a correlation when I take the MCAT, but I hope there is. That means I'm guaranteed at least a 38. :laugh: :smuggrin: :love: ;) :) :luck:

hey i got a 29 ACT, and couldnt get higher. I got 30 MCAT and I felt the MCAT is a test that u can improve if u put in the work. So its much easier to get a higher mcat if u study ur ass off than get a higher ACT. thats my opinion, even though mcat is alot harder.

I don't mean this as a direct attack at the OP but these questions are really stupid. Of course there's going to be a correlation between standardized tests A and B. As long as test-taking skill is a significant factor in the scores you get, people that do well on one test will do well on the other.

Why is this not obvious to everyone?

I mean, can you really imagine a scenario where a student says, "I got a 1500 on the SAT but only got a 25 on the MCAT." Unless the student was drunk, didn't study at all, and was blindfolded, it's just not gonna happen. I bet even if they didn't study they'd probably hit 30 at least.

To further make my point, what if I responded: "No. There is no correlation whatsoever between ACT/SAT score and MCAT score. People score really high on one and low on the other all the time." Would that make any sense at all?