Cortisol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

"Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, is NOT induced by:"
A. ACTH
B. Aldosterone
C. Epinephrine
D. Glucagon

I got this right, the answer was aldosterone. I just said that because I knew that aldosterone causes obligatory water reabsorption via increased Na reabsorption from the collecting duct. However, I was just wondering. I remember learning in my physiology class that cortisol is a catabolic hormone. ACTH causes increased cortisol, which would lead to hyperglycemia, right?

Also, something else, "What is the best relationship between plasma [Ca2+] and blood levels of calcitonin and PTH?
A. increased Ca, increased calcitonin, decrease PTH
B. dec Ca, inc. calcito, inc PTH
C. inc Ca. , dec calcito, inc PTH
D. dec. Ca, dec calciton, decrease PTH

Answer was A. But on wikipedia, "While PTH acts to increase the concentration of ionic calcium (Ca2+) in the blood, calcitonin, a hormone produced by the parafollicular cells (C cells) of the thyroid gland, acts to decrease ionic calcium concentration. "

I guess this means that the answer would be how the two hormones would respond to the said Calcium concentration? So if Ca is high, then PTH will decrease because of some kind of negative feedback and calcitonin will increase to drop the concentration down?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, is NOT induced by:"
A. ACTH
B. Aldosterone
C. Epinephrine
D. Glucagon

I got this right, the answer was aldosterone. I just said that because I knew that aldosterone causes obligatory water reabsorption via increased Na reabsorption from the collecting duct. However, I was just wondering. I remember learning in my physiology class that cortisol is a catabolic hormone. ACTH causes increased cortisol, which would lead to hyperglycemia, right?

Yes.

Also, something else, "What is the best relationship between plasma [Ca2+] and blood levels of calcitonin and PTH?
A. increased Ca, increased calcitonin, decrease PTH
B. dec Ca, inc. calcito, inc PTH
C. inc Ca. , dec calcito, inc PTH
D. dec. Ca, dec calciton, decrease PTH

Answer was A. But on wikipedia, "While PTH acts to increase the concentration of ionic calcium (Ca2+) in the blood, calcitonin, a hormone produced by the parafollicular cells (C cells) of the thyroid gland, acts to decrease ionic calcium concentration. "

I guess this means that the answer would be how the two hormones would respond to the said Calcium concentration? So if Ca is high, then PTH will decrease because of some kind of negative feedback and calcitonin will increase to drop the concentration down?

Yep. When blood [Ca2+] is low, PTH is released to increase Ca2+ levels by mobilizing calcium salts and breaking down bone. If the blood [Ca2+] is high, calcitonin is released to use the extra Ca2+ to build up bones. Knowing that they act reciprocally to one another helps to immediately eliminate answer choices (B) and (D).

Think of the parathyroid/calcitonin as a never ending cycle
Blood Calcium increases -> Calcitonin increases blood calcium resorption, Parathyroid Hormone downregulated -> Blood Calcium decreases -> Parathyroid Hormone increases, Calcitonin downregulated -> Blood Calcium increases......