COSGP - What are you working on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what issues are on the COSGP agenda this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know what they are, but they should definitely encourage the NBOME to provide more feedback to individuals who failed the humanistic domainl other than saying you failed the humanistic portion and now fork over $1500 to take the COMLEX PE again and pay $700 to fly from california during the middle of your fourth year auditions.

Hey, what about making a reasonable place to take the damn test? PA? are you kidding me? that's so central...umm why can't you do Texas, somewhere midwest like chicago?

I truly have a lot of awful things to say. But I know that the COSGP at my school will not be receptive as the exam has a 93% pass rate. I will go to my grave wondering why did I fail the COMLEX PE when I passed all my OSCE's. Why is a $15-20/hour actors assessment of me having such a detrimental impact on my future career?

Do these people think we're made of money and our futures are worth so little to them?

sorry I just had to vent

Totally agree about having multiple locations for the PE to ease the economic and scheduling burden.

I also think COSGP should somehow study the issue of overt degree discrimination in applying to residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to see more OMM in our curriculum and a dedicated cranial section on COMLEX. I also think funding for OMM research should be redirected to building a travelling museum exhibit on the lives of AT Still and William Sutherland.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to see more OMM in our curriculum and a dedicated cranial section on COMLEX. I also think funding for OMM research should be redirected to building a travelling museum exhibit on the lives of AT Still and William Sutherland.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with having the NBOME offer more locations for the PE. I mean I'm in PA, so it's nice for me, but the idea of flying across the country for it is ridiculous. You'd think they could easily set it up in 3-4 regions of the country.

I agree with having the NBOME offer more locations for the PE. I mean I'm in PA, so it's nice for me, but the idea of flying across the country for it is ridiculous. You'd think they could easily set it up in 3-4 regions of the country.

Someone needs to write a slow 60's-style ballad about 'goin' to Conshohocken.'

Isn't COSGP just a bunch of ego boosting gunners who attempt to change modern medical education one med student business card/headshot at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

Isn't COSGP just a bunch of ego boosting gunners who attempt to change modern medical education one med student business card/headshot at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

I don't know specifically about COSPG but that does remind me: is anyone else sick of the junk emails from AMSA for invitations. things like "Celebrate the New Year at the Gesundheit! Institute's Health Care Justice Gathering from December 28 - January 2." (Actual invitation in my inbox)

It's like, "Come spend your Christmas break Fomenting Social Change/Gunning!"

Or I sit on my couch playing video games/take my kids to the park/get some sleep. Hmmmm....

What is COSPG? Are those the people that clean the student lounge and kiss the administrators asses?

They're working on moving PE to Las Vegas and South Padre.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're working on moving PE to Las Vegas and South Padre.

The COSGP is working on this? Wow, I'm surprised its taken them so long to do this. I have to say that the student government at my school really seems to be having a blast whenever you see them going to meetings.

Here's a good question open for debate...
why is it that our tuition is anywhere to $40k-60K per year during 3rd and 4th year. when most of our rotations are at small community hospitals or at outpatient clinics? why do we have to seek out good quality rotations at other institutions at vsas?

why is st. george and other international schools spending money appropriately to give good quality clinical rotations? where is this money going that we're putting in our tuition? my 3rd and 4th year rotations (aside from VSAS) are certainly not worth their pricetag. is this tuition money we're giving going towards luxuries for the faculty?

why is it that our tuition is anywhere to $40k-60K per year during 3rd and 4th year. when most of our rotations are at small community hospitals or at outpatient clinics? why do we have to seek out good quality rotations at other institutions at vsas?

why is st. george and other international schools spending money appropriately to give good quality clinical rotations? where is this money going that we're putting in our tuition? my 3rd and 4th year rotations (aside from VSAS) are certainly not worth their pricetag. is this tuition money we're giving going towards luxuries for the faculty?

It is frustrating when you're forced to pay an outrageous amount in tuition when at the same time you're setting up your entire fourth year yourself at other institutions.

As for quality sites, I really think the AOA doesn't give a damn about training in large academic medical centers. They are committed to producing primary care providers, and training them in small community settings is just fine by them.

It is frustrating when you're forced to pay an outrageous amount in tuition when at the same time you're setting up your entire fourth year yourself at other institutions.

As for quality sites, I really think the AOA doesn't give a damn about training in large academic medical centers. They are committed to producing primary care providers, and training them in small community settings is just fine by them.

I honestly feel like I needed a personal assistant to set these rotations up.

I still think that the schools who have hospital rotations can somewhat justify the tuition costs. But the schools that have preceptor based ones should be ashamed of themselves. I think the AOA needs to realize that just because someone wants to be a PCP, does not mean that they should not have exposure to patients when they are at their sickest.

I honestly feel like I needed a personal assistant to set these rotations up.

I still think that the schools who have hospital rotations can somewhat justify the tuition costs. But the schools that have preceptor based ones should be ashamed of themselves. I think the AOA needs to realize that just because someone wants to be a PCP, does not mean that they should not have exposure to patients when they are at their sickest.
aren't many hospital rotations also "preceptor based"?

Read as, it's not cost effective for the AOA.

I won't argue the tuition costs for 3rd and 4th year. I'm not a fan of paying for them either, especially since administrative support is lacking. The most direct answer I've ever heard was that 3rd and 4th year help to subsidize the 1st and 2nd years of medical school at Osteopathic schools. The argument being because they are not actively generating clinical research and are generally private institutions, they operate on leaner budgets compared to LCME accredited schools.

I never understood taking a dig at the AOA and Osteopathic schools over their focus on primary care. It's their mission statement. Some would even argue that the rural/underserved area is their specific focus. It's not as though they lied to you.

As for you argument for International schools, especially Caribbean schools, paying for clinical rotations, what do you define as "good quality" for clinical rotations? If your metric is an academic medical center, I've not seen or heard of any Caribbean student spending most of his or her rotations as such sites. Listening to Caribbean grads speak about their experiences, they seem to be centered predominantly around underserved city hospitals in large quantity. Now, it's hard to say as to whether or not they're getting didactics and clinical education at those hospitals, but the complaints mirror many of the same gripes Osteopathic students have.

That being said, you could make a strong argument that the satellite/affiliate model introduces a lot of variability in clinical education within a school. While I don't think payment is the answer (Not everyone knows how to teach), I have to wonder whether or not centralizing the experience would be any better.

Last edited:
I won't argue the tuition costs for 3rd and 4th year. I'm not a fan of paying for them either, especially since administrative support is lacking. The most direct answer I've ever heard was that 3rd and 4th year help to subsidize the 1st and 2nd years of medical school at Osteopathic schools. The argument being because they are not actively generating clinical research and are generally private institutions, they operate on leaner budgets compared to LCME accredited schools.

I never understood taking a dig at the AOA and Osteopathic schools over their focus on primary care. It's their mission statement. Some would even argue that the rural/underserved area is their specific focus. It's not as though they lied to you.

As for you argument for International schools, especially Caribbean schools, paying for clinical rotations, what do you define as "good quality" for clinical rotations? If your metric is an academic medical center, I've not seen or heard of any Caribbean student spending most of his or her rotations as such sites. Listening to Caribbean grads speak about their experiences, they seem to be centered predominantly around underserved city hospitals in large quantity. Now, it's hard to say as to whether or not they're getting didactics and clinical education at those hospitals, but the complaints mirror many of the same gripes Osteopathic students have.

That being said, you could make a strong argument that the satellite/affiliate model introduces a lot of variability in clinical education within a school. While I don't think payment is the answer (Not everyone knows how to teach), I have to wonder whether or not centralizing the experience would be any better.

For the record, @ari202, made a comment about SGU. Somehow you (@BinderClip) have managed to cut and paste and attribute the SGU portion to me.

My point is, just because you are going to go into primary care DOES NOT mean that you should have to sacrifice your educational experience with respect to in-patient exposure. Even a run of the mill FP residency has a fair amount of medicine months.

I won't argue the tuition costs for 3rd and 4th year. I'm not a fan of paying for them either, especially since administrative support is lacking. The most direct answer I've ever heard was that 3rd and 4th year help to subsidize the 1st and 2nd years of medical school at Osteopathic schools. The argument being because they are not actively generating clinical research and are generally private institutions, they operate on leaner budgets compared to LCME accredited schools
There isn't a whole lot to justify preclinical tuition either. With the exception of clinical classes and OMM labs, the majority of preclinical education can be done independently, as demonstrated by the success of LECOM's PBL curriculum. Most DO schools have few full time faculty, smaller facilities, little/no research, generously large class sizes, and often other degree programs also bringing in tuition.