Cost of dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

howdysir

I've read a lot on this forum about the cost of dental schools and that private ones are much more expensive, but I'd just like to get an idea about what you guys think about the whole issue.
I'm Canadian, and if I were to go to a Canadian dental school I'd pay 175 k Canadian over four years versus 350 k Canadian at a private US dental school, but I think the cost should not be even considered for a student who wishes to truly pursue a career in dentistry because 350 k can be payed off pretty soon after you graduate, and dentists are among the highest paid in the US and Canada.
For me personally I am only going to apply to American private schools, because my 3.53 will not cut it at a Canadian school, most if not all have average GPA's of 3.8. I also think that 350 k is not that huge of an amount to dissuade someone from going to a private dental school if it's their only choice i.e. myself. :laugh:
Go dentistry! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I understand where you are coming from, but 350K will not be easy to pay off by any stretch of the imagination. It will be a long and tough road.

Yes it would be for most people... but my dad is a dentist who will be paying my tuition and picking up the huge bill so no worries I guess. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
But also no self satisfaction that you actually made it on your own.

lol...

since you're not the one paying for it, there is no real validity in your assessment.

Originally posted by howdysir
I think the cost should not be even considered for a student who wishes to truly pursue a career in dentistry because 350 k can be payed off pretty soon after you graduate, and dentists are among the highest paid in the US and Canada.
For me personally I am only going to apply to American private schools, because my 3.53 will not cut it at a Canadian school, most if not all have average GPA's of 3.8. I also think that 350 k is not that huge of an amount to dissuade someone from going to a private dental school if it's their only choice i.e. myself. :laugh:
Go dentistry! :clap:

This is very true - if you really want to be a dentist, and 350 k is your only option, take it. BUT, if you have a choice, pick the cheaper route only because it will mean more money in your pocket when you have to start repaying that loan back. Every dental school is going to make you a dentist, it's just a difference of how much we each spend to earn that DDS/DMD.

And blah on the "making it on your own." If your dad wants to pay for it, I'd say have the tuition bill sent to his house in Canada. You've got your whole life to "make it on your own" and pay bills, set up house, pay taxes, pay a mortgage, pay for your practice, save for retirement, save for your kids to go to dental school, etc. If mom & dad or Uncle Sam is willing to pick up the tab for you, take it, but definitely remember to be thankful and not a brat about it with your classmates. Every class has a brat (or several), the kid who says "Well, my daddy's giving me the Jag b/c the lease on the BMW is going to end", the kid oblivious to the fact that everyone else is driving a hand-me-down car. Many of my classmates get family help and many get zero. Everyone's family scenario is different. Those on the family dole aren't going to live on it forever, especially since we're all going to be dentists, so I don't see any reason to not have them help you out if they want to.

well said griffin! :clap:

Does anyone know the difficulty of getting a license in Canada if I attend a US school, in terms of the tests I have to write etc.?
If it is very difficult then I guess I'll just have to settle for a nice warm climate like Florida, or California... *sigh* that will be rough. :laugh:

Hey richboy,

Getting a license in Ontario coming from a US schools is very easy....just gotta do a clinical exam and a bell-ringer I believe. PM DrRob about this issue, becuase he went to Marquette and is now practicing in Ontario.

My theory:

Although howdysir is elgible for dental school in Canada with his grades, Im sure he intenionally wants to goto the States, because when he tells people he goes to dental school in America and gets the obvious response of "oh my god, thats expensive", he can proudly reply in an arrogant manner, "dont worry, my daddy who is a dentist is paying for it", because he thinks it will impress people.

stop giving this guy a hard time. Any of you would pay for your son's education also after you become a dentist, wouldn't you? What else are going to do with the money? There only so many sports cars you can buy before your wife kicks you out. :)

Now if you are going to be a poor dentist and not able to pay for your sons education, what makes you think he would want to follow your footsteps anyways? I for one am planning to pay for my son and daughter's education. No matter what they decide to study...........

as long as it's dentistry. :laugh:

It does not impress me, but who gives a $hit about doing it on your own. You are extremely lucky to have parents willing and able to do this for you. As Griffin said, do not advertise your situation. I personally get sick when I hear some piss brat kid complaining that their daddy only bought them a new Honda Civic and not the BMW they asked for.

for the record, I don't frown upon anybody getting parental assistance to pay for all of this...it's damn expensive...take what you can get...

i was just a bit befuddled to see this statement:

but I think the cost should not be even considered for a student who wishes to truly pursue a career in dentistry because 350 k can be payed off pretty soon after you graduate

being followed by this statement:

but my dad is a dentist who will be paying my tuition and picking up the huge bill so no worries I guess.

hard for me to take advice on paying off large student loans from someone that's not paying them off...

again, no disrespect intended...and I say take as much help as you can get...but this just seems like a "rub it in your face" thread...

Members don't see this ad :)
again, no disrespect intended...and I say take as much help as you can get...but this just seems like a "rub it in your face" thread...

I know that these were his intentions in making this thread, that is why I made my comments...

I hope DrRob can post a reply to everyone about the easiness of coming back to Canada to practice after finishing dental school in the US. I recall in another thread that thisisit wrote that everyone should stay in the US because its the best country in the world. I found it interesting that thisisit would write that being from Chicago. Just today I read an article stating that Chicago was America's murder capital last year with 599 homicides. By the way, in Toronto, for the first time in our history, we reached 60 homicides, and everyone is pissed off at this and the government is demanding an overhaul of the whole legal/police system because of this.

Population of Chicago: 2.8 million
Population of Toronto: 2.4 million

(If you wanna blame it on immigrant crime, Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world, so that argument doesnt hold)

I just want fellow Canadians to know that going to school in the States doesnt necessarily mean you must live and practice there....this is not medicine! :clap:

Yes, but the US is the land of opportunity (for me at least).

Originally posted by Thaxil
It does not impress me, but who gives a $hit about doing it on your own. You are extremely lucky to have parents willing and able to do this for you. As Griffin said, do not advertise your situation. I personally get sick when I hear some piss brat kid complaining that their daddy only bought them a new Honda Civic and not the BMW they asked for.

These kids usually don't have to advertise their situations. You walk into their apartments and you instantly know "This is not a kid who is living off the maximum limit on the student loans." They talk about their membership to the country club as if everyone has one. They have expensive hobbies. They worry about Prada bags vs. shoes. They drive to school in the BMW. Not all of them are brats. I have friends who are being helped by their parents and they will happily admit it but are also very nice people (with lots of expensive toys at their disposal). There are always, though, the select few that just don't have a clue until you point it out to them and tell them to shut up, that not all of us grew up in the same luxuries they did and some of us have never (GASP) set foot in a country club.

I was just wondering for those of you out there who are canadians or anyone who knows anything about this, if I graduate from dental school in the US and decide to immigrate to Canada, is it possible to get a greencard that way? I'm assuming that Canada has a greencard too (like the US), I'm not a Canadian citizen but I was thinking about moving to Canada after graduation instead of staying in the US (I know, I'm weired). Is that even possible and how difficult is the process of obtaining a canadian greencard (assuming there is such a thing) being a dentist?

Please, don't get me going on Canadians, eh? I lived with 2 for 4 years during dental school. We had 7 of them in our class and a total of 25 in the whole school. I know all about the Canadian attitude toward America. I am a pretty liberal guy that criticizes the US policies around the world and internally. But I turn into the biggest red neck once a Canadian starts complaining about the US. Just go back North and let me be. I am not here to start a flame war with a punk-@ss kid who puts down the greatest country in the world. We are going to provide you with an education so you can go back to Canada and bad mouth us. shame on you +pissed+

See what you did, I didn't want to do this....

Originally posted by avingupta
I hope DrRob can post a reply to everyone about the easiness of coming back to Canada to practice after finishing dental school in the US. I recall in another thread that thisisit wrote that everyone should stay in the US because its the best country in the world. I found it interesting that thisisit would write that being from Chicago. Just today I read an article stating that Chicago was America's murder capital last year with 599 homicides. By the way, in Toronto, for the first time in our history, we reached 60 homicides, and everyone is pissed off at this and the government is demanding an overhaul of the whole legal/police system because of this.

Population of Chicago: 2.8 million
Population of Toronto: 2.4 million

(If you wanna blame it on immigrant crime, Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world, so that argument doesnt hold)

I just want fellow Canadians to know that going to school in the States doesnt necessarily mean you must live and practice there....this is not medicine! :clap:

hold on just a minute... let me clear some things up.
This thread was not meant to be a "rub in your face" thread, I didn't mean it to sound like that, I'm not stuck up, I'm not part of a country club, I actually never set foot in one... I'm not filthy rich either, I said my dad is a dentist not Bill Gates. And another thing, most of you will be dentists one day and will be well off, we'll see how stuckup you become avingupta, but before you start calling me richboy with your ill mannered intentions you should find out more about me. You never met me, just my text, so remember that next time.

Just today I read an article stating that Chicago was America's murder capital last year with 599 homicides.

You see, the food is so good there that they KILL for a table :)

I know...lame...

As a Canadian I can also tell you that I love the US, it is an amazing country, with amazing oppurtunity as does Canada. I support your president, George W. Bush, and I think that the US is one of the best countries in the world. I don't know where the US/Canada competition came from, but we're both on the same side, Canadians love Americans, at least most, and vice versa. The US helps Canada, and we help the US. We're all in it together against the evil terrorists, but we will prevail. :clap:

Originally posted by mmapcpro
You see, the food is so good there that they KILL for a table :)

I know...lame...

I wonder how many of them were Canadians? Just Kidding before you start flaming me :D

Ever seen that movie:

"Give them a Green Card, and they will come"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Aright, I'm sorry to get off the canada vs. america topic, but I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with this thread and its jab at people who are well off. Let me explain why:
Yes my dad is a dentist as well, and yes he's paying for my tuition, and for that i am eternally grateful. But just because my parents can pay for tuition doesn't mean that I'm spoiled. I admit that it makes my life much easier and I won't necessarily have to struggle the same way some people do, and for that I'm sorry, but I'm not going to refuse my dad's help just to prove my character, I think getting to know me proves character enough. But I'm not spoiled, I do not have an extensive wardrobe, I have NO designer clothes and I look for sales when I shop. I work in the summer so that I have spending money and during the year I'm an RA at my school so that I can save my dad room and board, and that's a ridiculous amount of extra work. I drive a RAV4 and that's it until the car dies prolly, and I buy the cheapest gas I can. I balance my own checkbook. I belong to no exclusive club, I do not get elaborate gifts from my parents (last christmas one of my gifts was ink cartridges for my printer), and I do not go on wild spending sprees. I'm not saying that you guys are accusing everyone who's family is well off of doing that, but I just want to defend people who might have some money but were raised normally. Don't judge us simply by that, please.

I love how everyone addressed my homicide facts about the US with humour, and ignored the seriousness of the issue. And of course, thisisit with his very educated and informative response of, "its the best country in the world". Quite original Dr. Evil.

Of course America is the land of opportunities, but at what cost? Constantly living in fear? Dream, would you wanna raise a family in that type of atmosphere? I dont mind living in the states for school and possibly an associate job afterwards for a couple of years, but when it comes to raising a family, Im running up north fast!

Constantly living in fear of what? Terrorist attacks you mean?

I'm not worried. Heck, there ain't nothing in Buffalo worth attacking. :laugh:

Besides, I live in the Safest City in the U.S. according to 2003 crime statistics-- Amherst, NY. Not a single murder here last year.. :D

Im glad that howdysir has such high praise for the US and Bush...Looks like we can deduce that his family life of cars and country clubs supports tax cuts which benefit families such as his....as long as you plan on living in the US, thats one less conservative in Canada we have to worry about! :D

And your comment about how Im gonna be stuckup when I become a dentist, howdysir? Actually, my family is quite wealthy right now, and I grew up with all the benefits that you probably did, but Im not like you, who boasts that he gets a free ride.....thats why I agree with what SpringHaze said....I dont disagree with having help from your parents, but when losers such as howdysir introduce themselves by saying straight out, "I dont have to worry, because my daddy is gonna pay for it all" and then put the smily icon, thats a bit too arrogant and probably proves that this is how howdysir acts around other people, explaining his hierarchical view of life and his lack of social awareness.

Personally, I asked my parents to help me with no more than 1/3 of my costs, because as a dentist, I feel that I can do it myself. ANd I would NEVER pay for all my education for my kids and always give them a free ride, because from personal experience, I learn more when doing things on my own....and plus, if I pamper them too much, they are gonna turn out like howdysir :scared:

howdy, goto your Young Republicans convention and dont forget to bring your pink polo shirt with the little alligator on the breast just like the one your daddy has! :p

Funny thing is...I used to be a huge Conservative...was a member of the Young Conservative party, went to coventions, so I know, met and currently live around people like howdysir all the time....but then I traveled, went to the university, and got educated. :laugh:

Maybe I should pay for my tuition by selling tshirts saying:

"I used to be a Conservative

but then I got educated" :idea:

Constantly living in fear of what? Terrorist attacks you mean?

I'm not worried. Heck, there ain't nothing in Buffalo worth attacking.

Terrorist attacks are very minor compared to the rampant crime, gun violence and murder that takes place in the States. This is what I am talking about.

And Tom is right...Amherst is quite nice....but I find it interesting how the safest city in the United States is located at the border of Ontario........coincidence???? ;)

Nah. You've been to downtown Manhattan and interviewed at NYUCD and you haven't seen any of that stuff while you were here. It's not like Mayor Bloomberg ordered the city cleaned up just for your visit you know. :laugh:

Fortunately, I don't think I had to advise anyone coming to New York to bring a kevlar vest yet, heh heh.. (Unless for some strange reason you feel the need to spend all of your time in Harlem or the South Bronx, or Bed-Stuy LOL) :D

was just wondering for those of you out there who are canadians or anyone who knows anything about this, if I graduate from dental school in the US and decide to immigrate to Canada, is it possible to get a greencard that way? I'm assuming that Canada has a greencard too (like the US), I'm not a Canadian citizen but I was thinking about moving to Canada after graduation instead of staying in the US (I know, I'm weired). Is that even possible and how difficult is the process of obtaining a canadian greencard (assuming there is such a thing) being a dentist?

Why would you be weird? I always ask Americans why dont they consider moving to Canada, and I either get:

(a) Because America is the best country in the world

or

(b) Because Canada is way too cold and north

If you choose (a), then you have been properly brainwashed and no one is gonna be able to knock some sense into ya. ANd if you pick (b), then you should look at a map, because you will see that Toronto and the rest of Southern Ontario is actually quite south compared to the Northern US States, and in Vancouver it rarely goes into minus weather.

Im glad that dmoney is looking into this possibility, because I really think many more people should. As for dentists, its a very easy process of getting licensed like any other state....as for immigration, I dont know too much, but shouldnt be hard for you since you are American and you are a skilled worker. Look at this webiste for more information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.html

As for income, dentists in Canada are just as well off as dentists in the states. Sure, on paper dentists make more money in the States, however people fail to realize that living in Canada is much cheaper as well so it evens out. Standard of living for dentists is thus the same in both countries....very good! Another plus is that Canadian dentists dont have to worry about malpractice that much....because Canadians dont tend to sue as much as Americans do.

Nah. You've been to downtown Manhattan and interviewed at NYUCD and you haven't seen any of that stuff while you were here.

HAHAHA...true, I did LOVE NY SO MUCH....but I was only there for 3 days....the article I read did state that New York City had 596 homicides last year.....still way above Toronto's 60!

You've been to Toronto before Tom....come live here! You must have liked it!

avingupta, I found your childish behaviour amusing. I never once boasted about being rich, I just stated that my parents will be helping me pay, i still think that you're an insecure pompous braindead druglord that supports terrorists and not George W. Bush and all the rest of the normal, peace loving people. In fact, from your posts you can easily tell that you are one of two people. A left wing uneducated fool that supports terrorists, or you're a terrorist yourself. Too many terrorist supporters here in Canada, so how about you make Canada and the US a better place to live and take your dental studies back to Saudi Arabia. :clap:

and in Vancouver it rarely goes into minus weather.
That's hardly tropical. There are a number of places here in the States where the kids don't even know what snow looks like ;)

aphistis that's true, but when your constantly high like avingupta, 2 degrees Celsius seems tropical. His sensory has been tainted by those high doses of crack, so don't mind him. Most Canadians are not as ignorant as him, he must be fresh off the boat. :laugh:

596 homicides last year. Thats nothing compared that there are 9 million people in NYC everyday.

I'm not worried about crime. People here are very nice...except when you get to NJ. Man, those people are a bunch of a$$holes

Why would you be weird? I always ask Americans why dont they consider moving to Canada, and I either get:

(a) Because America is the best country in the world

or

(b) Because Canada is way too cold and north

I'm going to give you answer (c). I think Toronto is a great city and I would consider living there, but I never will voluntarily move there. Have you seen the exchange rates lately? The Canadian dollar isn't as strong as the American and that's stopping me from considering Toronto. I don't buy that cost of living is cheaper in Canada than in the US. Everytime we shop in Toronto, the taxes are insane (15 - 20% PST, GST, all that stuff). You guys have that socialized healthcare stuff - then explain why Buffalo MRI gets tons of Canadians from across the border willing to pay for an MRI rather than wait for months on a list in Canada? Our AEGD & GPRs in Buffalo get lots of Canadian dental graduates in them each year; these students figure they'll live in Fort Erie, do a GPR in the states, and earn some AMERICAN DOLLARS b/c they go much further than the Canadian dollar does.

Which TV show are you watching that represents the America of "rampant crime, gun violence and murder?" Maybe in the heart of the Bronx or those places that Tom mentioned, but most of us on this board who grew up in the suburbs have not lived our lives in serious fear like people in other parts of the world do (and I am thankful for that).

I'll take a chance with the crime & go to Chicago before I try Toronto b/c of the atrocious Canadian dollar exchage rates.

[BA left wing uneducated fool that supports terrorists, or you're a terrorist yourself. Too many terrorist supporters here in Canada, so how about you make Canada and the US a better place to live and take your dental studies back to Saudi Arabia. :clap: [/B]

Howdysir,

Are you unable to keep this debate intellectual? Are you so ignorant about everything, and attack someone based on their race? I dont necessarily agree with what Gupta is saying, but I WILL defend him if you continue to attack his race because there are more than a few east indians browsing this forum, and I'm one of them.

Get a life and go read a book, it might make you a little smarter.

I'm not attacking his race, yet I find it interesting how people such as yourself dentaldream, and avingupta are so anti-American, anti-Bush, and pro-terrorism. The US has given you a world of oppurtunity, so before you go badmouthing the great president of the US whose country is giving you a dental education, think about it and hold your "east indian" comments to yourself, idiot.

I also have one more thing to say. Affirmative action is the most racist concept I've ever come across. First of all, since dentaldream and avingupta are east indian and minorities, they can get into American dental schools with low GPA's and poor character, whereas people such as myself, who are white who are much more qualified candidates with higher GPA's are overlooked to accomodate gold digging, low level of intelligence fools such as dentaldream and avingupta.
Just because I am white, it is much more difficult to get into dental school, is that fair? Of course not. It is a disservice to humanity. The admission committee should look for the most qualified dentist, not look for someone less qualified based on their minority status. If I was a dental patient I would want the most competent dentist, not an incompetent one with a low GPA who only got in because he is an east indian. Same thing goes for medical schools. The system in the US is ridiculous in some ways such as that of affirmative action. There are also many underprivilaged, poverty stricken white students who do not get the same oppurtunities as potentially more well off minorities... absolutely ridiculous and racist.

I think its pretty clear from your remarks that you were attacking his race.

And me being anti-american? Tell me, when did I say that? I recall saying that the US is the land of opportunity for me, but how could that be mis-construed as being an anti american statement? You're going to have to improve your obviously poor reading comprehension skills before you take the dat.

Be careful buddy, your crediblity on this forum is almost zero. If you really want to stick around, adopt a more humble/respectful attitude.

again dentaldream, you have to realize the only reason you were accepted was because of your race. You are a poor candidate, an ill mannered thug, and your intellectual capabilities are far from that of a competent dentist. I feel sorry for your future patients, and please don't return to Canada, you're not welcome here.

Dearest Howdysir,
I'm sure you are really upset by the way you've been ridiculed as a rich spoiled brat who is rubbing it in that he doesn't have to struggle like some of us. That being said, I think there are other ways you can handle that situation in a manner befitting a doctor to be. As potential dentists, we are going to encounter a whole variety of people with different opinions and making offensive stereotypical remarks to them will only reduce our patient pool and could ruin our reputations. As a "minority" and "female", I take exception to the fact that you feel that we get into dental school solely because of that. I can give you a copy of my transcript or will you think I have a high GPA because my professors felt sorry that my people were enslaved by the Portuguese in the 15th century? Or did I get a 98th percentile on the Verbal of the DAT because the ADEA felt the same? I'm sure if you look back on the history of the US, there are some reasons why some people are going to be given a nudge at the expense of white americans, but PLEASE, don't think that because someone is non-white, that they did not deserve their spot in school character wise or GPA wise.

This is 2004 for goodness sake

again dentaldream, you have to realize the only reason you were accepted was because of your race. You are a poor candidate, an ill mannered thug, and your intellectual capabilities are far from that of a competent dentist. I feel sorry for your future patients, and please don't return to Canada, you're not welcome here.

Ok, thanks for your opinion.

I understand that kennie, but they said themselves they have low GPA's, I didn't make that up, but anyways, avingupta was the one that started this whole conflict by calling me a stuckup richboy, when I am not, so before you tell me to stop generalizing, tell avingupta first. Regardless, avingupta is an immature, bombast, attention seeking fool so I will not continue with his childish fight, the insults stop here.

Yikes! It always scares me to see that we have potential future colleagues who actually think like this.

I have to disagree with the cost of living being cheaper in Canada. I live in the mid South and the cost of living is dirt cheap compared to Canada. Also, chill out about the homicide rates being out of control. There are plenty of places in the U.S. where nothing like that happens. That is like me saying, Toronto is unlivable and unsafe due to the constant scare of SARS.(Which I dont believe) Just my two cents.

Why are you insulting Dentaldream? He never got involved and definitely did not deserve your attacks.

When did I say I was pro-terrorist? Just because of my name or because Im anti-Bush? Hey howdy, stop watching CNN buddy. People fail to realize that terrorists are just a group of extremists, just like the conservative christian right, or anarchists......being of Indian or Arabic origin is obviously not the passport to terrorism, or being left-wing is not the passport to anarchism, although howdysir would want to make you believe this.

Howdy...Im not gonna even address the rest of your comments, because Ive realized that you are only in 2nd year. Put that on top of your upper-class upbringing, its one ugly picture of ignorance. Do you actually think because you have a 3.8 and I have a 3.15 that you are smarter than I?

Its funny how this is the second conservative ignorant person I have had an argument with on this forum, and both of them have rebutted by attacking my race......hmmmmmmm.....a trend amongst conservatives perhaps?

About the cost of living.......I know this first hand, because my father has lived/worked all over the world including the US and Canada.....and my father always tells me that living in Canada is the cheapest country in the world. However, since he makes American money, and my family currently still lives in Canada, we make it big because of the exchange rate. However, if you make a Canadian income and live in Canada, you are just as golden as working and living in the States.

I just wanna clarify something.....I never said the standard of living is better in Canada...I just said its the same and the fact that living in Canada is cheaper, makes up for the exchange rate, so it evens out. People seem to think that because of the exchange rate, Canada is not the country to be in, but there is more to the picture one must consider.

And of course there are places in the States such as Kansas or Arizona that are probably dirt cheap to live in...but I wouldnt compare them to Toronto. There are also places in Canada such as Manitoba or Alberta which would be cheaper as those states. However, if you desire a major metropolitan centre such as Chicago, Boston, or New York....living in Toronto is much much cheaper. Its all up to your needs and its all relative. Just wanted to clarify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.