Cough medication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k00l

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I stumbled on Guaifenesin DM 100/10 labels that said the direction for kids under 12: (10 ml every 4 hours prn). Normally, it's supposed to be 5ml q4h prn. Would you change the direction and contact doctor? And is there a weight-based dose cough syrup (guaifenesin DM) for children? Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't water and honey work just as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Doesn't water and honey work just as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Only Buckwheat honey is proven to be as effective as DM for cough in Children.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I stumbled on Guaifenesin DM 100/10 labels that said the direction for kids under 12: (10 ml every 4 hours prn). Normally, it's supposed to be 5ml q4h prn. Would you change the direction and contact doctor? And is there a weight-based dose cough syrup (guaifenesin DM) for children? Many thanks.
So I stumbled on forum post that make no sense. Normally readers suppose to know what post is about. Would you correct and contact webmaster?

Reactions: 1 users
if it's not making any sense to you, just skip bro.
And for this syrup, I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.

if it's not making any sense to you, just skip bro.
And for this syrup, I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.

LMAO

.... I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.
Is this because you keep stumbling and you're afraid you're going to trip and fall? Why are these labels in your walkways?

Reactions: 1 user
Proven might be a stretch, unless there is something newer than the 2007 Penn State study...funded by the honey board ;)

http://www.dcscience.net/2007/12/05/why-honey-isnt-a-wonder-cure/

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Looking at
Paul IM, Beiler J, McMonagle A, et al. Effect of honey, dextromethorphan, and no treatment on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for coughing children and their parents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2007;161:1140-6.

Cited in the Pharmacist Letter. More effective than DM, which does not work at all. Maybe proven was a stretch, But I'll stick with honey as it less expensive, works better and is safer unless you are treating an infant or a diabetic.

Reactions: 1 users