Could this be a mistake or typo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NancyPansy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone's doing well. I just started med school with the idea of going into family medicine. I've been lurking and reading some of the threads in regards to this specialty and despite some of the negatives (I wasn't aware that some people considered this specialty the underdog), I still feel like it is a good match for me in terms of the type of practice I want and the populations I'm interested in (rural/underserved, all ages, all genders) as well as the flexibility. BUT... even though I'm not in this for the money (hell, I seriously considered going into social work), I have to say that this article really took me aback.

I mean I am aware that FM isn't for those who want to be big shots in terms of salary but this article lists family practitioners as making close to 100k after 6 years of practice. That's a little shocking, considering it's close to half the listed salary for pediatricians and psychiatrists. This is confusing to me because I read several other articles that listed these three specialties as making roughly the same amount (180-200k). Hence, the title of my post "could this be a mistake." I guess I'm hoping it was just a typo, haha.

These other articles add to the confusion as they list family practitioners as making nearly two times what the first article reports.

http://www.physiciansweekly.com/physician-compensation-report-2013/

http://www.beckershospitalreview.co...s-on-physician-compensation-january-2014.html

http://healthcareers.about.com/od/compensationinformation/tp/Doctor-Salaries.htm

While this hasn't made me give up on my desire to practice FM, it has given me something to think about as I have two children and am separated so I need to think about being able to take care of my family as well as other considerations.

So, which article do you all believe is more accurate (representative of the average FP), the first one (122k), or the others (180-230k)?

Members don't see this ad.

The latter.
The first article you mentioned: Those numbers are ridiculously low. I know absolutely NO ONE who came out of residency earning something that low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am one year out of residency, and I have applied/interviewed +20 places, but for only a specific area (in NY state). These places were urban, suburban, and rural.

The lowest offer I had was ~140k (both urban and rural, both qualifying for NHSC loan repayment). The highest was 200k+bonuses (sign on, loan repayment) (suburban).

That urgent care amount is also crazy -142k to start? That is 71$ an hour! Maybe I am just lucky to be in the area I am in?

I am one year out of residency, and I have applied/interviewed +20 places, but for only a specific area (in NY state). These places were urban, suburban, and rural.

The lowest offer I had was ~140k (both urban and rural, both qualifying for NHSC loan repayment). The highest was 200k+bonuses (sign on, loan repayment) (suburban).

That urgent care amount is also crazy -142k to start? That is 71$ an hour! Maybe I am just lucky to be in the area I am in?
That is a bit off. I interviewed for several urgent care jobs and never got offered less than $98/hr. Granted I'm not in NY, so that could explain the difference.

That is a bit off. I interviewed for several urgent care jobs and never got offered less than $98/hr. Granted I'm not in NY, so that could explain the difference.

I am not in NYC - but starting fresh, the urgent cares here offer 90-105$/hr starting. I was just amazed they listed 71$/hr on that one site.

What about FP salaries in outpatient settings in big cities on the West Coast, like San Francisco or San Diego? Aren't those supposedly pretty low?

Thanks all! I figured that article wasn't exactly accurate. I had looked at a bunch of websites and none had listed such a low salary for FM. It seems from all the articles I read it should be closer to 200k than 120k. I'm surprised no one reviewed and edited it, oh well :)

Thanks all! I figured that article wasn't exactly accurate. I had looked at a bunch of websites and none had listed such a low salary for FM. It seems from all the articles I read it should be closer to 200k than 120k. I'm surprised no one reviewed and edited it, oh well :)

Just remember that it all comes down to the contract and that all numbers are negotiable. My first job out of residency was $180K. I would never go lower than that.

Urgent care is $80/hr minimum on the West coast. Again, every site varies with it's contracts.