Could this person get into a top 5 Med School? (ZERO clinical/healthcare EC's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it begins...
This is a Godly troll.
9GFpH.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

She would start residency after her first year in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
But if the car is green, then where is the cantaloupe?

That's so sad. :(
But very true. The same with rappers winning awards or the Mavricks winning the championship. Everyone at my house was shouting "God is good!" and I was thinking...yeah tell that to the less fortunate. But anywho, Im ranting....

To pontificate on whether this rather accomplished (albeit homely) individual could get into a top 5 med school.

Bobby Jindal got into Harvard Med and Yale Law the same year but chose to take the Rhodes Scholarship and do consulting at McKinsey afterwards.

Bobby Jindal for President

But very true. The same with rappers winning awards or the Mavricks winning the championship. Everyone at my house was shouting "God is good!" and I was thinking...yeah tell that to the less fortunate. But anywho, Im ranting....

Maybe Meng can raise some money and donate it to Africa?

When I have children, I want them to grow up as humble as Joyce meng.

I'd just like to mention that I played 12 rounds of Call of Duty on XBOX Live yesterday instead of being more productive with my summer.
And I loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
she probably could get in if she just adds like 100 hours of clinical experience. I know kids at Penn who have got in with a lot less than what she has achieved (but still quite a bit) with about 100 hours of clinical experience.

Her resume makes me feel embarrassed though. Some people are truly amazing.

And I don't think I have yet said this on SDN, but flatearth--you start the most useless threads and make a lot of annoying posts.

I have noticed that people that study business start up a lot of things...

Also, did anyone else find it awkward that we now have her resume (which includes name, address, and telephone number)?

To pontificate on whether this rather accomplished (albeit homely) individual could get into a top 5 med school.

Bobby Jindal got into Harvard Med and Yale Law the same year but chose to take the Rhodes Scholarship and do consulting at McKinsey afterwards.

Homely? She's adorable.

I have noticed that people that study business start up a lot of things...

Also, did anyone else find it awkward that we now have her resume (which includes name, address, and telephone number)?

no, there are plenty of resumes on the internet. it's only weird if you start calling her and delivering pizza to her house or something like that.

Thought I'd give an update of on our little friend here since all of her info is public.

Looks like she's basically unemployed right now! No longer working at Goldman Sachs and currently CEO of a "100% volunteer-driven organization" - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joyce-meng/8/602/237

Not much separating her from the lead character on "Girls" who interned for free....medicine ftw!

She's pretty smart so let's say she takes the MCAT and gets a 12-12-12-S

http://www.joycemeng.com/joycemengresume.pdf

Hard to say, but I'd wager it an uphill battle. The top schools get to choose from the very best medical applicants, including the ones who have been building their application in that direction for years. I also think they'd be least persuaded by the argument to accept someone already distinguished, since their very institution PRODUCES distinction in its matriculants. Her profound success is obviously the biggest thing going for her when applying to schools in a profession she quite evidently had no former interest in, so that's a blow.

On the other hand, she is such a uniformly amazing scholar and worker that schools would be sorely tempted to forgive the lack of medical ECs (assuming, of course, she extends her record into premed courses and MCAT prep). I really don't know. What I do know, though, is if she were to do some nice clinical volunteering while doing the MCAT and everything else, and then apply, she could probably pick her Ivy League school.

Didn't see this was a necro. >=(

Thought I'd give an update of on our little friend here since all of her info is public.

Looks like she's basically unemployed right now! No longer working at Goldman Sachs and currently CEO of a "100% volunteer-driven organization" - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joyce-meng/8/602/237

Not much separating her from the lead character on "Girls" who interned for free....medicine ftw!

Dude, why do you spend so much of your time stalking poor women on the internet. I can name (and revive) at least 5 threads you started about just random ***** women. There was the hot Michigan State girl, the dermatologist one married to the plastic surgeon, the one who's parents got her into Yale medical school, this one, the one where you posted the picture of that poor hot resident, and I bet there are many, many others I am not thinking of. Please, you seem like an intelligent kid and I am sure you have better things to do with your life than post crap about all the different women you stalk on a daily basis. It's not nice, and frankly it's pointless.

It's one thing to Facebook stalk all the hot girls you used to know in college who still post pics scantily clad, but it's a whole other thing to actively stalk people you don't even know and discuss them on a public forum. Just my 2 cents here, carry on :corny:

Oh and I'm sure she would destroy the MCAT. She must have tremendous reading comprehension. Since the MCAT is all that matters in medical school admissions, she would gain admission to a top 10.

Dude, why do you spend so much of your time stalking poor women on the internet. I can name (and revive) at least 5 threads you started about just random ***** women. There was the hot Michigan State girl, the dermatologist one married to the plastic surgeon, the one who's parents got her into Yale medical school, this one, the one where you posted the picture of that poor hot resident, and I bet there are many, many others I am not thinking of. Please, you seem like an intelligent kid and I am sure you have better things to do with your life than post crap about all the different women you stalk on a daily basis. It's not nice, and frankly it's pointless.

It's one thing to Facebook stalk all the hot girls you used to know in college who still post pics scantily clad, but it's a whole other thing to actively stalk people you don't even know and discuss them on a public forum. Just my 2 cents here, carry on :corny:

Oh and I'm sure she would destroy the MCAT. She must have tremendous reading comprehension. Since the MCAT is all that matters in medical school admissions, she would gain admission to a top 10.

I must have missed something here.

This thread is totally inappropriate, and I suggest that one of the moderators take it down.

Posting other peoples' resumes siphoned from the internet and then posing ridiculous questions that lead to inane discussion is absurd and juvenile.

Perhaps not top 5 with no medical research, but if she interviews even half as impressively as her resume is, she'd get in somewhere.

Isn't a resume and personal information supposed to be respected and private? I feel bad for her that her information is being put on display like this.

Isn't a resume and personal information supposed to be respected and private? I feel bad for her that her information is being put on display like this.

It's online.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Yes, and meant to be viewed by prospective clients and employers - not by juvenile sensationalists who then post it on anonymous message boards.

Yes, and meant to be viewed by prospective clients and employers - not by juvenile sensationalists who then post it on anonymous message boards.

For future employers not to be discussed and giving updates on how she's unemployed now.

Haha love it

Call me liberated, but if it's online it's fair game for discussion. I don't see a disclaimer restricting the view of her CV to certain persons or for certain uses. If we can discuss news stories that identify individuals, why can't we discuss this?

I can't believe anyone would say this. You're a low-life and don't deserve to pursue medicine.

Are you really that bored? It's all well and good to waste your own time, but do you really have to waste ours as well?

Says the Lounge moderator...:rolleyes:

I think I've figured it out. Flatearth desperately wants to do finance, but either didn't go to the elite undergrad they recruit from or can't hack the math skills.

Call me liberated, but if it's online it's fair game for discussion. I don't see a disclaimer restricting the view of her CV to certain persons or for certain uses. If we can discuss news stories that identify individuals, why can't we discuss this?

It's not that we can't, it's that we should show more respect.

Programmers often tell people to "hog their data"; you've gotta take responsibility for what you put online. I think it's irresponsible for her to put so much info up. Sure we should be more respectful, but, in general, one should never expect respect from the online community.

As for finance: boring as balls. I don't know how anybody could consider medicine and finance in the same thought. I took a bunch of finance and fin-math; I cannot imagine doing that day in and day out. I wouldn't be surprised if Meng has a non-trad SDN account.

Programmers often tell people to "hog their data"; you've gotta take responsibility for what you put online. I think it's irresponsible for her to put so much info up. Sure we should be more respectful, but, in general, one should never expect respect from the online community.

As for finance: boring as balls. I don't know how anybody could consider medicine and finance in the same thought. I took a bunch of finance and fin-math; I cannot imagine doing that day in and day out. I wouldn't be surprised if Meng has a non-trad SDN account.

Yes, yes of course. But as prospective doctors we can't only give respect when it's expected of us. The nature of doctors is to give respect even to people who in essence aren't respectable. End of tangent on my end. :)

And yes, finance sounds terribly boring.

unemployed? no big deal. with her record, she can get into a top 10, any cycle, whenever she decides she wants the "safe 6 figures" from medicine.

i'm sure she would destroy the mcat, assuming her engrish is okay. witness her genius.

Yes, yes of course. But as prospective doctors we can't only give respect when it's expected of us. The nature of doctors is to give respect even to people who in essence aren't respectable. End of tangent on my end. :)

And yes, finance sounds terribly boring.

Boriiiinnnnnnnnnng. If people cared about their privacy they wouldn't post it for everyone to see. A stripper doesn't get mad at people who are watching/not throwing dollars at her because it's apart of being a stripper. People making fun/looking at her web site is expected because it's apart of the internet...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Boriiiinnnnnnnnnng. If people cared about their privacy they wouldn't post it for everyone to see. A stripper doesn't get mad at people who are watching/not throwing dollars at her because it's apart of being a stripper. People making fun/looking at her web site is expected because it's apart of the internet...

haha yes, because comparing her to a stripper totally makes sense :rolleyes:

haha yes, because comparing her to a stripper totally makes sense :rolleyes:

She might make more money as a stripper than the founder of a non-profit.. :)

Seriously though, people are just on here to get some info on their future steps in medicine, have fun, and in some cases try to get others upset. Try to lighten up a little bit.

She might make more money as a stripper than the founder of a non-profit.. :)

Seriously though, people are just on here to get some info on their future steps in medicine, have fun, and in some cases try to get others upset. Try to lighten up a little bit.

I'm not going to lie I do need to lighten up a bit. But make others upset? No that's terrible! I draw the line.

No, he's the biggest idiot I've seen in these forums. And unbelievably inappropriate. I'm a veteran, and this fuc***g d***head said he hoped I ended up back in Afghanistan and then laughed about it. I'd be in prison right now if he said that to my face. The mods should ban this kid.

No, he's the biggest idiot I've seen in these forums. And unbelievably inappropriate. I'm a veteran, and this fuc***g d***head said he hoped I ended up back in Afghanistan and then laughed about it. I'd be in prison right now if he said that to my face. The mods should ban this kid.

Anger problems much? Chill out.

Were you forced to serve in Afghanistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.