Could use some guidance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gooble

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did have this in the non-trad. forums but this area seems to get more traffic so I made the move...

Hi. I'm a 26 year old professional currently attending law school in DC at GULC. I entered law school as it seemed to be the right fit for my life, based on my current occupation and the fact that I am able to go without incurring much (if any) debt.

However, deep down I have always been drawn to medicine. I took an EMT-B course in college, did some volunteer work in a hospital, but never really made anything of it since my BA is in the liberal arts.

Now I am in law school and realizing I really do not like what lawyers do. Law school is interesting, but the process is miserable (although I'm sure medical school isn't much fun either). One thing is certain, though, is that I don't really want to be a LAWYER and that is why I think so many lawyers hate their jobs... Many end up in the profession by default.

Anyway, I'm currently looking into post-bac programs around here, as well as Goucher and Bryn Mawr, Hopkins, and others that would require up and moving. I just feel like it is a big risk to leave what I currently have, leave law school, and take on thousands of debt for a post-bac program in order to pursue my dream.

Any input or advice is appreciated. I noticed there are a few lawyers on here, maybe there are a few law students contemplating leaving as well, who knows? Either way, your input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you want to do. You're going to hear it time and time again. Your life will be miserable as a lawyer if you don't like it. Just like you'd hate being a doctor unless you have a passion for it. Things will fall into place if you have the drive/desire to achieve medical school.

Many end up in the profession by default.
Same is true of medicine as well. Be sure that you get some experience seeing what a doctor does day in and day out before pursuing medical school. Start by taking a part-time science class to see if you like the stuff before quitting school and doing a full-time pursuit.

Make sure you know what you're getting in to. I'm always shocked by how little some people understand about what a doctor is, does, or becomes. Best of luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
What's GULC? Georgetown?
Are you a 1L?
Anyway, my advice would be to finish your JD and then apply to med school. You've already started and the first year of law school is by far the toughest. Stick it out for a few years, study for the MCAT during your 3rd year (or maybe 2nd, if you plan on studying for the Bar in your 3rd). With a JD, you'll stand out of the crowd, and will probably rock the Verbal Reasoning section...

I did have this in the non-trad. forums but this area seems to get more traffic so I made the move...

Hi. I'm a 26 year old professional currently attending law school in DC at GULC. I entered law school as it seemed to be the right fit for my life, based on my current occupation and the fact that I am able to go without incurring much (if any) debt.

However, deep down I have always been drawn to medicine. I took an EMT-B course in college, did some volunteer work in a hospital, but never really made anything of it since my BA is in the liberal arts.

Now I am in law school and realizing I really do not like what lawyers do. Law school is interesting, but the process is miserable (although I'm sure medical school isn't much fun either). One thing is certain, though, is that I don't really want to be a LAWYER and that is why I think so many lawyers hate their jobs... Many end up in the profession by default.

Anyway, I'm currently looking into post-bac programs around here, as well as Goucher and Bryn Mawr, Hopkins, and others that would require up and moving. I just feel like it is a big risk to leave what I currently have, leave law school, and take on thousands of debt for a post-bac program in order to pursue my dream.

Any input or advice is appreciated. I noticed there are a few lawyers on here, maybe there are a few law students contemplating leaving as well, who knows? Either way, your input is appreciated.

I gotta say... to me this is just a dumb idea and I really don't know why many rec. it. I am a 1L in the evening program at Georgetown so I would have 3 (not 2) years left. To stay in something for multiple years when you don't want to practice is foolish. It really doesn't make any sense. Especially for those students that are taking $100k of debt to go to law school.

Also, I don't have the med. school science requirements right now due to my BA. So that would add another year.

In regards to knowing what a doc does: My mom is a nurse, my brother a doctor, and I spent time doing EMT type volunteer work. I know what its about, I just didn't have the background and life has placed me gently where I now am. It comes down to taking the easy road - cushy job, law school at one of the big dog programs in the country, and little debt....

OR

Going to a post-bac program, incurring some serious debt, and following a passion.

Decisions decisions haha. Thanks for the insights. Keep em coming!

My fiance is a 2L and I can't even count the number of times he told me last year that he wanted to drop out of law school and find something else to do. Now that he's a 2L, he loves it, even though it's by no means a cake walk. So you have to ask yourself... is this a real passion for medicine talking or just a hate for where you are right now? Sometimes that can be a tricky thing to decipher!

That said, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, you just want someone to tell you that it's ok to take that leap. Well, here you go. Do it! You'll never be happy if you just do the easy thing instead of thing you really want to do.

What's GULC? Georgetown?
Are you a 1L?
Anyway, my advice would be to finish your JD and then apply to med school. You've already started and the first year of law school is by far the toughest. Stick it out for a few years, study for the MCAT during your 3rd year (or maybe 2nd, if you plan on studying for the Bar in your 3rd).

Agree. I'm pretty sure I gave you (OP) similar advice already when you had a different screen name? You may even want to consider practicing a bit as practice is nothing like school -- you may like it better, or at least pick up transferable skills you can use to sell yourself with to adcoms. But at any rate, find some spare time to volunteer or shadow a bit more, to try and make certain that medicine is what you really want to do.

That said, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, you just want someone to tell you that it's ok to take that leap. Well, here you go. Do it! You'll never be happy if you just do the easy thing instead of thing you really want to do.

Agree -- not sure why you (OP) are asking for advice when you are only looking for a particular answer. All I can tell you is you aren't too old to do both (finish the law degree and pick up postbac/go to med school). You may not find happiness by changing -- both fields have their positives and negatives. But you have to do what works for you -- no one else can live your life for you.

I was more looking for opinions from those that have been there and not a particular answer. This board makes too many direct assumptions rather than simply just responding to posts haha.

Either way I'll be finishing this year at law school. In the end, its likely I'll end up sticking it out and kissing medicine goodbye as it seems those that matter (admissions committees) feel that its better to spend 4 years in a program one doesn't want, than to cut their losses after a year.

That being said, I'm not about to go through law school just to head to four more years + of hell. There comes a point where people have to think of others besides themselves and I'm not about to put my family through 15 years of hell for law school, post-bac, med. school, and residency. Its just absurd to me.

Again, thanks for the insights. That was all I was looking for, not a particular answer.

being a lawyer. He regrets going to work every morning - he does litigation and all he does is fight with smart people all day about money and he depises most of his clients. Get out while you can and follow your heart and do something you love. You don't want to be 60 years old someday and say, damn, I wasted my life, going to court, trying to screw people.

Searun

Working for a law firm for that big market rate $145k per year plus bonus, only to be a slave to a bunch of miserable old partners.

This is what I fear.... Unfortunately, the practical side of me makes my current status hard to walk away from for a post-bac debt load and the possibility of not getting into med. school anyway.

Working for a law firm for that big market rate $145k per year plus bonus, only to be a slave to a bunch of miserable old partners.

This is what I fear.... Unfortunately, the practical side of me makes my current status hard to walk away from for a post-bac debt load and the possibility of not getting into med. school anyway.

You could always do your post-bac at some state school to save money if you're worried about loans.

You could always do your post-bac at some state school to save money if you're worried about loans.

Considered it. It seems the more structured private programs have much higher selection rates as well as consortum options, thereby eliminating the glide year.

Considered it. It seems the more structured private programs have much higher selection rates as well as consortum options, thereby eliminating the glide year.

Ahh...would these private institutions be able to help out with financial aid at all?

I can make it happen if I choose to go that route. Its just tough when you have a great career, and a two-income family (decent incomes at that) to going into debt, cutting back to one income, and risking it all.

I just gotta do some serious soul searching I guess.

Stick it out, get your JD, then get your MD!! Especially if you can get your JD without much debt!!!!! There are SO many things you can do with a JD/MD dual degree (especially a Georgetown JD). I'm thinking about getting my JD after med school because i dont want to live on ramen noodles till i'm 35 living on a doctors salary... i can already feel myself getting scurvy.

I-bankers work even more miserable hours than associates in BIGLAW. The only lavished lifestyle you will be leading is paying your $1000/month loan note from the office at 11PM on thursday night.