Counseling or Clinical PhD or MA/MS? I can't decide. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych1693

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a senior in college now and am a bit ambivalent on which grad school path I should take. I'm thinking about applying to PhD or Masters programs in December for Fall 2016 admission, but I can't decide whether I should apply for clinical or counseling in a Masters or PhD program. Although research isn't my strong suit (yet), I do enjoy it. I need to get a little more confident with it. My main career aspiration, though, is to work on a psychiatric unit in a hospital. Adult psychopathology is the area I would like to work in at the end of my formal education. I also would like the option to be able to teach at a college level. I don't know if a thread like this has been posted yet, but I could really use some advice. What do you recommend and why?
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to work on a psychiatric unit of a hospital, why not go into psych nursing?

That said, if you want to teach, you can teach at the community college level with a MA or MS.

Also, look at the bottom of this current page, at the "Similar Threads" listed, and see if any of them have helpful information for you.

I'm really not interested in nursing. But I will look through some of the previous threads. Sorry, I'm new to this site! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries...just adding to the list of things to think about. :)

My main career aspiration, though, is to work on a psychiatric unit in a hospital. Adult psychopathology is the area I would like to work in at the end of my formal education. I also would like the option to be able to teach at a college level.

Psychiatric nursing would enable you to do all of the above. I strongly encourage you to look into this path. Many nursing schools now have master's programs specifically for people with undergraduate degrees in fields other than nursing (they are often called "direct entry MSN" programs). It's a solid way into a career. Clinical social work is another possible avenue. I have yet to see a good case for getting a terminal master's in psychology against either of these alternatives.

A Ph.D. in psychology will rule out psychiatric unit jobs at many community-based hospitals. However, the VA, academic medical centers, and private psychiatric hospitals will generally have inpatient-oriented positions for psychologists. Adjunct teaching gigs pay terribly but are easy enough to get. Just think hard about what you really want to do day to day, and let that guide you more than the job title. Do not assume "[Profession X] can't do [job activity]" because it may not necessarily be true.

You might consider volunteering or look for an entry-level position in the field before making further decisions about your education. Find out who the players are in different systems and what they actually do. I worked in a few hospitals before making the decision about grad school versus medical school. It really helped my decision-making.

Reactions: 1 users
Psychiatric nursing would enable you to do all of the above. I strongly encourage you to look into this path. Many nursing schools now have master's programs specifically for people with undergraduate degrees in fields other than nursing (they are often called "direct entry MSN" programs). It's a solid way into a career.

I have a few friends who have gone this route and really enjoyed the experience. I've heard particularly good things about Yale's program.

Also you can look at occupational therapy as they have a strong inpatient presence. I still think being a psychologist is the best way to go, but maybe I'm biased. ;)

Community-based hospitals would include general and speciality hospitals (eg, rehab facilities) that do not have an academic affiliation (ie, primarily not a "teaching hospital"). Many such hospitals have no psychologists on staff, though of course there are plenty of exceptions.