Counseling PhD - Moving to the United Kingdom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Thank you all in advance for advice and your ideas on my questions below. :)

Here is some background info:
This year I will be finishing my PhD in Counseling Psych. For several years my partner and I have been discussing moving to the United Kingdom after I am finished. I have clinical experience in community mental health, career counseling, etc - but mainly university counseling centers. I have taught undergrad and graduate level psych, counseling courses, and behavioral health courses in a college of medicine. My internship this year is in a University counseling center. I have already been licensed during the course of my program as my state allowed me to take the EPPP after the MS level.

My dream would be to be offered a teaching position in a Counseling Psych program in the UK and work in private practice (as possible). I would also enjoy a position in a university counseling center. I have looked at the accreditation structure of the programs and profession in GB and know that it is quite different from what I have undertaken in the US.

I am looking to hear from others who have moved abroad after finishing their degree.

How did you make connections, find faculty openings, etc? I have made a list of 12 programs in the UK that have Counselling Psych programs and have setup job alerts should any posts come up.

I am also wondering if it would be a benefit to go ahead and apply to the British Psych Society for chartered status, to apply with the British Assoc. of Counselling Psych, or the Health and Care Professions Council.

If anyone has ideas or connections with other Americans who have taken some of these steps please feel free to PM me or reply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This may not help much due to the fact that I am a undergrad student. But I would like to help out.
  • I'd say in general to try to apply to any organization affiliated with your field of Counseling Psych and what your interests are (whether its college counseling, teaching or healthcare).
  • I am sorry that I don't know anyone who can help but maybe you should get in contact with a international career recruitment organization such as MRINetwork.
  • Maybe also you should google British Counseling Psychologists and ask from them?

I know nothing about how reputable this site is, but I ran across it recently: http://www.psych-recruitment.com/

Also, if you run up against a wall with the UK, New Zealand actively recruits psychologists, as they've a shortage.

Last edited: