Counseling vs Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aestheticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read a post where someone stated

"If you just want to counsel, do not get a PhD/PsyD in Clinical Psychology"

What is your opinion on this? Do you agree or disagree?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interesting in doing private practice and billing insurance, the time it takes to get the PhD does not result in a net gain of per/hour income. No denying it. That is probably what they are referencing when they say that. From a clinician focused standpoint, it does very little in that regard. The difference comes in terms of competency associated with further training and opportunities for broader service. Some settings will prefer a PhD although other terminal degrees are getting plenty of shelf time in those settings as well. If I was 22 and wanted to make as much money as I could over the course of the lifetime doing psychotherapy, I probably wouldn't do a PhD despite it providing a better basis for those skills and broader skillbase (such as testing).

It really depends on what the individual means about "I just want to counsel people". For me, I primarily have provided treatment so far in my career and that is what I do currently in an outpatient setting. This hospital would not have hired me if I didn't have a doctorate because they have a philosophy of having the highest qualifications and standards available for all of their providers. Since the beginning of my education, I always believed that I wanted to primarily provide treatment, but have always been interested in the scientific aspects of psychology, as well. I also wasn't sure if I might change my mind down the road and doctorate availed me of the most flexibility. Another personal factor was that I wanted to aim for the highest attainable goal which was a doctorate and if I failed the MA counseling thing would have been a potential fallback plan.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope to primarily provide psychotherapy, but I've decided to pursue a PhD in order to open up the most career opportunities for me. I am also interested in assessment and consulting to a lesser extent, and so I went for the degree in order to maximize my options (and income streams).