Countdown to NRMP match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are more of us hanging out who are doing the NRMP match
Thought we could support and encourage one another during these last 5 weeks

As for me - my rank list is made and certified

I am a DO student applying to dually accredited and allo only programs in the Midwest

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with you mommy2three!

Reactions: 1 user
I just got word last night that I've been awarded NHSC loan repayment. $120k over 4 yr starting Aug 1. I had honestly almost given up on it because the deadline for notification was Jan 31...but I had made up my mind that if I got it I was going to rank my local unopposed FM program #1. It's a wonderful sense of clarity to know what I'm doing the next several years. Now the match seems like a formality lol. Will be relieved to know for sure March 21 that I don't have to move ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I just got word last night that I've been awarded NHSC loan repayment. $120k over 4 yr starting Aug 1. I had honestly almost given up on it because the deadline for notification was Jan 31...but I had made up my mind that if I got it I was going to rank my local unopposed FM program #1. It's a wonderful sense of clarity to know what I'm doing the next several years. Now the match seems like a formality lol. Will be relieved to know for sure March 21 that I don't have to move ;)

Congrats!

Thanks buddy! It certainly gives me the freedom to choose the flexibility of FM without worrying so much about debt hanging over my head into my 60s!

One week until rank order list submission is due

Then the giant sorting hat goes to work

I have only tinkered with my top 6 about three times now and I think I am very happy with how they are currently sitting - now I must resist the urge to tinker with the order yet again

Reactions: 1 users
somehow i feel ready but not ready at the same time :wideyed:

Thanks from the acronym deficient ;)

Still not sure if it was a question for me or where he/she was looking to match

You stated you were looking at allo and dual programs in the Midwest. UMKC is one of the few dually accredited unopposed programs in the Midwests, so I wondered if it was on your list. Guessing not. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You stated you were looking at allo and dual programs in the Midwest. UMKC is one of the few dually accredited unopposed programs in the Midwests, so I wondered if it was on your list. Guessing not. ;)

I was and am but you are correct in that I did not look there and they are not on my rank list - they were slightly out of my four hour radius ;)

no more rank list to worry about...now just the wait.

17 days till "did you match" day.
22 days till "where you match" day.

not that i am counting or anything :laugh:

no more rank list to worry about...now just the wait.

17 days till "did you match" day.
22 days till "where you match" day.

not that i am counting or anything :laugh:

Nope - not counting
Not counting at all - lol

14 days till did I match day?

Tick tock goes the clock

Nerves kicking in.....less than 2 weeks to go!

Hello,

Do you mind sharing what is NHSC loan repayment? Can you apply before you have received a residency? Can it pay off private student loan? I am recent graduate from medical school in the Caribbean and hoping to match in next two weeks. I was wondering if I can apply for a loan repayment program. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Shawn

Hello,

Do you mind sharing what is NHSC loan repayment? Can you apply before you have received a residency? Can it pay off private student loan? I am recent graduate from medical school in the Caribbean and hoping to match in next two weeks. I was wondering if I can apply for a loan repayment program. Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Shawn
I was awarded the National Health Service Corps Students to Service loan repayment. S2S is a newish program under NHSC (this is the second year of awards). It pays $120k over 4 years in $30k/yr increments beginning during year 1 of residency. I owe 3 yr of payback at an NHSC-approved site with an HPSA score of 14 or higher. I'm in SC where the great majority of the state is medically underserved so I'm optimistic that I can stay here for my commitment. The advantage of this program is that it's only for physicians so you're not competing with dentists, nurses, PAs, NPs and psychologists for a finite number of LRP awards. I also like that it starts repayment in year 1 of residency so those high-interest loans will be knocked down much sooner.
The application is a bear and I'm not sure that private loans will qualify. The deadline for applications for 2014 was November 2013. I imagine next cycle will be similar. Google it and good luck.
Oh, regarding residency: yes, but if you fail to match to residency or fail to graduate on time you become ineligible and your award goes to someone else.

I was awarded the National Health Service Corps Students to Service loan repayment. S2S is a newish program under NHSC (this is the second year of awards). It pays $120k over 4 years in $30k/yr increments beginning during year 1 of residency. I owe 3 yr of payback at an NHSC-approved site with an HPSA score of 14 or higher. I'm in SC where the great majority of the state is medically underserved so I'm optimistic that I can stay here for my commitment. The advantage of this program is that it's only for physicians so you're not competing with dentists, nurses, PAs, NPs and psychologists for a finite number of LRP awards. I also like that it starts repayment in year 1 of residency so those high-interest loans will be knocked down much sooner.
The application is a bear and I'm not sure that private loans will qualify. The deadline for applications for 2014 was November 2013. I imagine next cycle will be similar. Google it and good luck.
Oh, regarding residency: yes, but if you fail to match to residency or fail to graduate on time you become ineligible and your award goes to someone else.
That was very helpful. Thank you so much. Congrats to you:)

Aggghhhhh

Slowly
Going
Crazy

Some computer somewhere knows where we are going!!!

T minus 11 days until did I match day!!

i knowww that's the part that sucks... we are the last to find out. even our schools know before we do!

tick tock tick tock. oh my god. this time next monday....

Everytime you get an e-mail alert...

Not excited

Even better -

Getting the stupid SOAP email from NRMP
Followed by instructions from school

Deep breath and trying not to freak out

Even better -

Getting the stupid SOAP email from NRMP
Followed by instructions from school

Deep breath and trying not to freak out
Everybody gets that email.
Don't stress about it.

Everybody gets that email.
Don't stress about it.

Yep I saw in the email that everyone gets it

Just stressing in general - ranked 17 programs and am still terrified I will not match - left over "you'll never get into medical school" anxiety

That and we close on a new house at end of month - so just a little going on right now ;)

You will match. I have my fingers crossed for you.
Maybe I should be more nervous than I am, but I'm feeling pretty peaceful about it.

Good luck tomorrow to all the ACGMErs! :)

12 hours to go. I donno if I could sleep tonight lol

Matched! Could not have done it without the support of everyone here.

Reactions: 3 users
Matched. Congrats guys!

Somehow I managed to not match and am scrambling :(
Very very confused over what went wrong

Oh mommy I am so very sorry. At this point, focus on what's open and don't try to analyze what can't be changed now. Praying for you.

Im so sorry! I hope you can find something great during SOAP! I'm rooting for you! :)

Stay strong. Something tells me from following your posts on your journey into med school that you will be okay. Any lesser of a person would have given up a loooong time ago.

With that being said, would you mind sharing with us your strategy and where you think it went wrong?

I kindly second the request for your strategy, and what you think might have gone wrong. I say this as a daddy2two who will have a limited geographical area, so I see a lot of parallels between your path and mine.

I kindly second the request for your strategy, and what you think might have gone wrong. I say this as a daddy2two who will have a limited geographical area, so I see a lot of parallels between your path and mine.

Number wise nothing is wrong which is what is so puzzling :-/

First two years mostly b/b+ few scattered a's and one c (anatomy)
Clinical years pretty solid a's with a few b+'s, solid comments from my evaluations
4 solid excellent strong LOR two of which were from department chairs
COMLEX step 1 50x (81 two digit score) step 2 53x ( 83 two digit score) passed PE first try

Applied broadly to >40 programs, got >30 interview invites and went on 22 interviews

Ranked 17 mid to low level programs - the rest were osteo only

Possible issues:
- I did not do a lot of self promoting at interviews because that is just not who I am
- possible me in general - I am very outgoing and have a pretty strong personality which may have turned some people off and landed me lower on rank lists
- possible questions of the kids and how we would do this although we had a plan and if asked I outlined it
- possible questioning of my commitment to medicine and family medicine in general given my path
- I heard family was way more competitive this year than a lot of people expected and I am rather average and no rock star - if I was competing against rock stars then I look rather plain

But these are all just guesses - everyone including my school is shocked I did not match
The statistical chances of me ending up at the bottom 1/3 of every place I interviewed is 7.7 x 10-7%
I am definitely buying a power ball ticket soon