Countdown to October 15th...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
6 days left guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'll hear back from a couple of schools before my November interviews and will cancel them suckers if I get in-state. This clown parade needs to end ASAP because I've had it with pre-med.
hahaha clown parade

Reactions: 1 users
Wait... what's an acceptance report? Do schools actually check them?
See here (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html), and it's actually February and April that they're released.

Schools absolutely look and yes it's a resource used to recruit applicants away from other schools; this is why applicants accepted off waitlists have been known to receive scholarship offers.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
See here (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html), and it's actually February and April that they're released.

Schools absolutely look and yes it's a resource used to recruit applicants away from other schools; this is why applicants accepted off waitlists have been known to receive scholarship offers.

Question: so schools can see where you've been accepted (after the release of the acceptance report) before making a decision about you application? Do some schools (i.e. the March 15th acceptance date schools) wait until the release of the initial acceptance report in February before finalizing their acceptance offers?

Question: so schools can see where you've been accepted (after the release of the acceptance report) before making a decision about you application? Do some schools (i.e. the March 15th acceptance date schools) wait until the release of the initial acceptance report in February before finalizing their acceptance offers?

No. In February, only schools that have accepted you get to see where else you have been accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought they can only see the number of schools that each applicants got offered at in Feb but not the names??

@breakintheroof is correct, the MAR only becomes available for an applicant to a school once that school accepts them.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that schools can see if you are holding onto acceptances; if you hold onto a lot of them, then other schools may see that and not accept you. Is this true?
No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!

I thought they can only see the number of schools that each applicants got offered at in Feb but not the names??

The report @gettheleadout linked seems to say that the report includes school names:

"You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school."

According to the AAMC example, they see names too:

For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school.

edit: dat timing, @breakintheroof

I thought they can def see where! That way they get data on what schools tend to steal students away from other med schools. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!?

vote from @gyngyn nailed the matter.

No. We can see where those we have accepted are holding in March (or thereabouts) and as much as we might like to rescind the acceptance based on this behavior, it is not an acceptable reason to do so. We can withhold recruitment $, though!
hm....so let's say if an applicant were seen to have received tons of good offers from better ranked schools, it might actually work against this said applicant in terms of recruitment $ in a lower ranked school?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hm....so let's say if an applicant were seen to have received tons of good offers from better ranked schools, it might actually work against this said applicant in terms of recruitment $ in a lower ranked school?
I think the implication is that holding on to many offers late into the spring can't imply anything good on the part of the applicant or his/her intention to attend a particular school.

I don't understand why you would withhold recruitment money from an strong applicant who has other good choices. Isn't that exactly the kind of applicant you would want to recruit? Why would you spend recruitment money on someone who no other offers or who has withdrawn from other schools?

I don't understand why you would withhold recruitment money from an strong applicant who has other good choices. Isn't that exactly the kind of applicant you would want to recruit? Why would you spend recruitment money on someone who no other offers or who has withdrawn from other schools?
There are plenty of great recruitment scholars who don't needlessly hold dozens of acceptances.

I think the implication is that holding on to many offers late into the spring can't imply anything good on the part of the applicant or his/her intention to attend a particular school.

Given that most schools don't release financial aid info until the spring, why would anyone subtract points from an applicant who is just trying to make the best financial decision for them and their family? "Can't imply anything good?" I don't get this. And if the intention to attend your school isn't 100% clear, again, wouldn't that be a reason to extend, not withhold, recruitment funds?

I know you were just translating gyngyn, but I feel like I see this line of thinking all over sdn and I've never understood it.

There are plenty of great recruitment scholars who don't needlessly hold dozens of acceptances.
I didn't realize we were talking about "dozens." That indeed would be needless. What about 5 or 8 schools, though?

I didn't realize we were talking about "dozens." That indeed would be needless. What about 5 or 8 schools, though?
I can understand 4 or 5.
Last year I had a woman with dozens.
I wanted to do something . There really is nothing we can do but to expect that without $, they will go elsewhere.
Thankfully, she did.

So what factors does recruitment $ depend on? Would it have anything to do with # acceptances to other schools/quality of other schools in a good or bad way?

I can understand 4 or 5.
Last year I had a woman with dozens.
I wanted to do something . There really is nothing we can do but to expect that without $, they will go elsewhere.
Thankfully, she did.
So if a person have 4 or 5 schools all in the east coast, then one from your school which is in CA, then you'd probably thought, hm, that person apparently has less reason to come to CA without the $, the you wouldn't act on it?
May I ask how does the school use recruitment money? for what kind of purpose? I thought they did that to allure a student who may otherwise attend other schools? No?

So what factors does recruitment $ depend on? Would it have anything to do with # acceptances to other schools/quality of other schools in a good or bad way?
It entirely depends on how badly we want the applicant and how the high risk of them going elsewhere is.

So if a person have 4 or 5 schools all in the east coast, then one from your school which is in CA, then you'd probably thought, hm, that person apparently has less reason to come to CA without the $, the you wouldn't act on it?
May I ask how does the school use recruitment money? for what kind of purpose? I thought they did that to allure a student who may otherwise attend other schools? No?
It all comes down to how badly we want the candidate and much we perceive the risk of them going elsewhere is.

I can smell the wind of Oct 15 in the air. It carries with it simultaneously the aroma of victory and the stench of defeat.

Reactions: 4 users
+1

Heard this very thing from an admissions director at one of my interviews. Be kindly to your fellow applicants... there is no possible way this person was genuinely debating between 23 final choices.
Paraphrasing a dean of admissions here regarding this applicant: "we're glad he didn't end up choosing us"

Paraphrasing a dean of admissions here regarding this applicant: "we're glad he didn't end up choosing us"

Ha! When I was thinking of changing my profile picture to a penguin, that was what it was going to be!

That applicant certainly made history. But for an off reason, like making into JAMA as the case study patient.

Is it Wednesday yet? Just been sitting around twiddling my thumbs and thinking of all the answers I could have given at my interview that were better than the ones I gave

Reactions: 6 users
5 Days!!!

Just thought you should know: for about the first five times I saw your SDN tag, I kept reading it quickly as "precise hamburgers", and for the life of me could not understand what that meant. Good thing I learned to read! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think your quotes might have gotten mixed up ;)

Hehe, I noticed that and was extremely confused. I'm sure gyngyn is very offended to be attributed to my spelling errors.

And yes, I have not yet gotted da heng off speelling.

Reactions: 2 users
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412964693.830205.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone else like scared of the 15th? I really don't even wanna check my email in case it's bad news.

Reactions: 12 users
Just decided to go to the west coast earlier than planned--on the 15th. This way if I'm sad because of the results, I'll be traveling-sentimental kind of sad, not sit-at-home-computer-staring kind of sad. I often find dislocation helps with sadness coping.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else like scared of the 15th? I really don't even wanna check my email in case it's bad news.
Got a nice tub of Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream for the unfortunate event of all around rejection. Thankfully I have like 5-6 schools releasing decisions on the 15th so ... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Top choice or not, I'm just waiting for that one acceptance to know that no matter what, I'm going to be a physician.

Reactions: 8 users
Got a nice tub of Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream for the unfortunate event of all around rejection. Thankfully I have like 5-6 schools releasing decisions on the 15th so ... Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Top choice or not, I'm just waiting for that one acceptance to know that no matter what, I'm going to be a physician.

Exactly!

Where there many II issued this week? From the schools I follow very few gave out any this week. Anyone else...?

Woww! 5 days left!!
So nervoussssss! Anyone else thinking "what if the the adcom members don't agree with the screeners/interviewers!" :nailbiting::nailbiting::scared::scared: Ahhhhhh!

Reactions: 5 users
The first acceptances come out October 15th, but can you be waitlisted before this date?

I looked back at one of my schools of interest, and realized that several people claimed to be waitlisted a little over a week before October 15th, and it wasn't related to early decision factors either.

The first acceptances come out October 15th, but can you be waitlisted before this date?

I looked back at one of my schools of interest, and realized that several people claimed to be waitlisted a little over a week before October 15th, and it wasn't related to early decision factors either.

Yes, schools can communicate any decisions, except for acceptances, before the 15th.

4 (ish) days left. Ahhhhuuuuuuuulmost there
original_GqqC_76df000194691190.gif

Good luck, everyone! Can't wait to be in your shoes next year.

I suspect that there may be a slight rise in II's being given out after the 16th since some people may decline or cancel their interviews if they're accepted into some place they really want to go to. Of course, that's also just optimistic me speaking.

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely having trouble focussing on so many things...