Counting student TA/tutoring hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am holding office hours 3 hours/week as a student tutor, do I count only those tutoring hours? Or should I count all hours of work my professor expects from me (i.e. lecture time and prep time)? The professor has explicitly given me a breakdown of the time he wants me to contribute to the class.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not going to matter either way. I personally did not count prep time (mostly because it didn't cross my mind to), but I'm sure others did.

I would go with what your professor is comfortable with. You could also describe the breakdown (3 hours lecture, 1 hour prep a week). Doubt anyone would be concerned about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am holding office hours 3 hours/week as a student tutor, do I count only those tutoring hours? Or should I count all hours of work my professor expects from me (i.e. lecture time and prep time)? The professor has explicitly given me a breakdown of the time he wants me to contribute to the class.
If this is a job, count all the time that your paycheck covers (and which are verifiable by the student employment office). In the description of the activity, you can add/explain hours of additional related activities.

Reactions: 1 user
If this is a job, count all the time that your paycheck covers (and which are verifiable by the student employment office). In the description of the activity, you can add/explain hours of additional related activities.

This is on a volunteer basis. I have an email record of the conversation I had with the professor which entailed a 9 hour/week commitment. I haven't taken a look at the primary app yet, so I don't know the logistics of this. Just wanted info on how others handle this situation and perhaps how it should be documented.

This is on a volunteer basis. I have an email record of the conversation I had with the professor which entailed a 9 hour/week commitment. I haven't taken a look at the primary app yet, so I don't know the logistics of this. Just wanted info on how others handle this situation and perhaps how it should be documented.
AMCAS will ask you for a Contact and either a phone number or email to verify your involvement. Who do you plan to use for that purpose? It could be the professor, the department secretary, your advisor, etc. Be sure that person knows about your weekly time commitment (whatever it REALLY is). If a reliable, retrievable record is not kept somewhere, then keep a log for yourself, perhaps breaking it down into Tutoring, Teaching, office hours, and prep time. I think you'd be fine to include all those hours in the Total Hours you enter into the application.

Reactions: 1 user