Country Club OMFS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewingman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the application cycle has opened up and people are choosing programs, I wanted to know if you all have a list of programs that are more private practice/family friendly, but also train people well. I have heard that UCLA, GRU, and MUSC fit this criteria, but does someone have more to add to this list?

Members don't see this ad.

so is your mom.

Anyone have real information?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to know that? Do you want to get trained in only thirds and implants or something? Most residents, like myself, take a little bit of offense to that question just because it sounds like you are looking for the easy way out and still get to call yourself a surgeon.

An OMS residency is never family friendly. It takes sacrifice and commitment from not only you, but your whole family. If you want a family friendly residency, perio is very easy to get into.

Why would you want to know that? Do you want to get trained in only thirds and implants or something? Most residents, like myself, take a little bit of offense to that question just because it sounds like you are looking for the easy way out and still get to call yourself a surgeon.

An OMS residency is never family friendly. It takes sacrifice and commitment from not only you, but your whole family. If you want a family friendly residency, perio is very easy to get into.

Have you seen the procedures performed in private practice? Get off your high horse and realize that most surgeons don't take trauma call and mostly do 3rds in private practice (which is likely where you will end up along with most graduates). I am not looking for programs that only do t&t, but instead programs that will train you in all aspects of omfs. I just don't want to be called in for 1,000 trauma calls, when I can be sufficiently trained by performing 300. Again, if anyone has good information, please post.

Reactions: 1 user
You are very misguided. I remember when I was a dental student and thought I knew everything too. No "high horse" here either...just a chief resident who might have a little more experience than you.

Make sure you say all those things above on your personal statement and during your interview.

My original question though....Why not just do perio or an AEGD if you want to mostly do 3rds? The reason I don't like it is because there are some people, like me, who will take trauma call and work in the hospital. I don't see the need to waste surgical training on someone who already doesn't want to do the work.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you seen the procedures performed in private practice? Get off your high horse and realize that most surgeons don't take trauma call and mostly do 3rds in private practice (which is likely where you will end up along with most graduates). I am not looking for programs that only do t&t, but instead programs that will train you in all aspects of omfs. I just don't want to be called in for 1,000 trauma calls, when I can be sufficiently trained by performing 300. Again, if anyone has good information, please post.

I hope your CBSE score is good enough to make up for your lazy attitude on interviews

I hope your CBSE score is good enough to make up for your lazy attitude on interviews

+1. Wrong spot to ask a question like this and not expect to get ripped apart.

You are very misguided. I remember when I was a dental student and thought I knew everything too. No "high horse" here either...just a chief resident who might have a little more experience than you.

Make sure you say all those things above on your personal statement and during your interview.

My original question though....Why not just do perio or an AEGD if you want to mostly do 3rds? The reason I don't like it is because there are some people, like me, who will take trauma call and work in the hospital. I don't see the need to waste surgical training on someone who already doesn't want to do the work.

Good for you that you will be taking trauma and working at a hospital after you are done. However, you do have to admit this is not what majority of surgeons end up doing. You should go tell all of them to do perio.

As I stated above, I do not want to restrict my training to only 3rds and implants. Otherwise, I would do perio. I, however, have a kid on the way and am willing to give up being in a program that requires more from their residents. From what I understand, programs that are described at private practice/country clubs provide residents with less time requirements than places like LSU, where I externed. Even then, I know that all programs will require hard work and are accredited to provide sufficient training. I am just looking to find a place that better matches what I expect my life to be like during the next 4 years. Again, if people have answers to the question I proposed, then please let me know.

Good for you that you will be taking trauma and working at a hospital after you are done. However, you do have to admit this is not what majority of surgeons end up doing. You should go tell all of them to do perio.

As I stated above, I do not want to restrict my training to only 3rds and implants. Otherwise, I would do perio. I, however, have a kid on the way and am willing to give up being in a program that requires more from their residents. From what I understand, programs that are described at private practice/country clubs provide residents with less time requirements than places like LSU, where I externed. Even then, I know that all programs will require hard work and are accredited to provide sufficient training. I am just looking to find a place that better matches what I expect my life to be like during the next 4 years. Again, if people have answers to the question I proposed, then please let me know.

I would love to see your statistics stating that the majority of surgeons do not take trauma call or work in the hospital. Personally, I would disagree based on my experience, but I don't have the statistics either. Many surgeons in my area don't work in the hospital because they couldn't become board certified. You could possibly go down that road if you want.

This is my problem with you. The guys who came before you and me worked their ass off to make sure we even had the ability to operate in a hospital. That is what sets us apart from the "dentists". Now, we have schmucks like you who just want to shuck wizzies and count money. You just want to be a dentist again. I love dentists, but I do think we have a responsibility. If you make it through any OMS program, you absolutely have the right to do whatever you want. I just think it looks bad to go searching for the "easier lifestyle". I feel it's a slap in the face.

And I have 3 kids. You could always just put your big-boy pants on and man up. You have to see the long term goal.

4 years is a long time and a lot of money to not practice full scope oms. I agree that a lot of docs go into OMS just to shuck thirds and place implants--a large enough number that leaders in the field question whether there should be two tiers of oral surgeons.

You mention you want to do whole scope do I will save my specialized GP counsel.

Look into programs in lower populated areas. Look at Iowa, Ohio State, to name a couple.

I would love to see your statistics stating that the majority of surgeons do not take trauma call or work in the hospital. Personally, I would disagree based on my experience, but I don't have the statistics either. Many surgeons in my area don't work in the hospital because they couldn't become board certified. You could possibly go down that road if you want.

This is my problem with you. The guys who came before you and me worked their ass off to make sure we even had the ability to operate in a hospital. That is what sets us apart from the "dentists". Now, we have schmucks like you who just want to shuck wizzies and count money. You just want to be a dentist again. I love dentists, but I do think we have a responsibility. If you make it through any OMS program, you absolutely have the right to do whatever you want. I just think it looks bad to go searching for the "easier lifestyle". I feel it's a slap in the face.

And I have 3 kids. You could always just put your big-boy pants on and man up. You have to see the long term goal.

Sigh, I give up. I guess you never learned to how to read as part of your training. I never said I didn't want to take trauma or that I just want to pull wisdom teeth. In fact, I even stated that I want to gain experience in all aspects of OMFS, but just don't want to be in a program that will be too busy. I want to get adequately trained, but not killed in terms of time. You know, like work 12 hours instead of 16 hours on a regular day so that I can make it home to get a little time with my family. I am glad you have a family and it is working for you. I would rather spend a few more hours with my family than sew up the 1,000th face.

Yeah that's what I thought, too. Someone over on the Perio forum was talking about RE-applying. I thought, "man, your class rank must have been LOW!"

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. I hope you don't have to work too hard to get into the best specialty in medicine or dentistry.

Silent Cool-no comment. :)

nothing noble about this question. Don't think it deserves a response

To each his own. There is great disparity in training among programs. If you care for the prestige of being called a surgeon, you'll also be sore if you suck among your surgeon colleagues - that is your problem you'll have to deal with.

Cornell I heard is a country club program - they barely cover a trauma hospital. Lots of 3rds and lots of orthognathics in a posh area of NYC.
All the residents at Rochester seemed to have families and I got the impression that they weren't huge into working you too hard.
Banner Good Samaritan seemed not too busy, but I think that is changing. Nice Arizona weather too!
Jefferson is pretty private practice heavy - but they seemed busy enough with wide-scope stuff.

Sigh, I give up. I guess you never learned to how to read as part of your training. I never said I didn't want to take trauma or that I just want to pull wisdom teeth. In fact, I even stated that I want to gain experience in all aspects of OMFS, but just don't want to be in a program that will be too busy. I want to get adequately trained, but not killed in terms of time. You know, like work 12 hours instead of 16 hours on a regular day so that I can make it home to get a little time with my family. I am glad you have a family and it is working for you. I would rather spend a few more hours with my family than sew up the 1,000th face.

Sigh, comments like this demonstrate the problem with the anonymity of internet forums. Attach your real name to a statement like this and you would likely NEVER match an OMFS program, even a "country club", with this attitude/ opinion. PD's don't want lazy applicants and your posts demonstrate a lazy mentality.

What if the 1000th face involved a laceration to the parotid duct which required cannulation, or nerve repair, or a skin graft? Still not worth your time?

Being adequately trained to practice full scope OMFS usually requires getting "killed in terms of time". You only have so many months on OMFS for your surgical training and you have to make the most of them. There is an ocean of information to learn. It is hard for dental students to understand this until they get in residency themselves and start progressing through the ranks.

I love this thread. It has high entertainment value.

Nothing is wrong what the guy posted. He wants an easy or family friendly program. Not everyone wants to work their butt off slaving away as a resident. And kudos to him, hes actually honest. I know personally an OMFS resident who isn't a slave to their program, enjoys his residency and private life, and is certainly capable. Not everyone wants to have a super trauma and orthognathic based OMFS residency - I think I'd prefer referring those patients to the angry posters on here so I can go sit on the beach. But I guess thats why I didn't do OMFS. Not worth my time or hassle. And I still get to make the big bucks :)

Sigh, comments like this demonstrate the problem with the anonymity of internet forums. Attach your real name to a statement like this and you would likely NEVER match an OMFS program, even a "country club", with this attitude/ opinion. PD's don't want lazy applicants and your posts demonstrate a lazy mentality.

What if the 1000th face involved a laceration to the parotid duct which required cannulation, or nerve repair, or a skin graft? Still not worth your time?

Being adequately trained to practice full scope OMFS usually requires getting "killed in terms of time". You only have so many months on OMFS for your surgical training and you have to make the most of them. There is an ocean of information to learn. It is hard for dental students to understand this until they get in residency themselves and start progressing through the ranks.

Oh and one more tidbit - anonymity is indeed the beauty of these forums and the internet. Why would this OP actually ask these questions to any programs as a serious applicant? Get off your high horses! HAR HAR HAR.

Nothing is wrong what the guy posted. He wants an easy or family friendly program. Not everyone wants to work their butt off slaving away as a resident. And kudos to him, hes actually honest. I know personally an OMFS resident who isn't a slave to their program, enjoys his residency and private life, and is certainly capable. Not everyone wants to have a super trauma and orthognathic based OMFS residency - I think I'd prefer referring those patients to the angry posters on here so I can go sit on the beach. But I guess thats why I didn't do OMFS. Not worth my time or hassle. And I still get to make the big bucks :)

Dr. Hupp published an article in JOMS. The tone of the article was to emphasize how broad our specialty has become. He believes it is the responsibility of a program to do all it can to train residents to be competent in full scope OMS. If that is his expectation of a program, imagine his expectation of a resident. Our specialty relies on the ambitions, desires, and strives of residents to maximize their broad training in clinical practice.

We would have never gotten to where we are today in OMFS with this kind of thinking. And while there are many examples of those that drop the maxillofacial and simply act as an oral surgeon, just think of what this leaves the specialty for the future. The general public, our medical colleagues, and even our dental colleagues already have no idea what our specialty encompasses. No one is on any high horse. There are those of us that stand up for the privileges that we have and plan to practice everything they we were taught rather than diminish it into teeth and titanium. Otherwise before we know it those privileges will be lost to other specialties and our scope diminished.

Something tells me OMFS isn't right for OP. In my understanding, you don't apply for Oral Surgery residencies unless you're crazy dedicated. Just do general dentistry if you're that concerned about having "family time."

Oh and one more tidbit - anonymity is indeed the beauty of these forums and the internet. Why would this OP actually ask these questions to any programs as a serious applicant? Get off your high horses! HAR HAR HAR.

Thanks for your comments Flurocore. I will be sure to stash them in my round file.

Thanks for your comments Flurocore. I will be sure to stash them in my round file.

No problem bud. Glad I could lend some knowledge to a fellow colleague in need. Always here to help ;)

"To each his own. There is great disparity in training among programs. If you care for the prestige of being called a surgeon, you'll also be sore if you suck among your surgeon colleagues - that is your problem you'll have to deal with.
Cornell I heard is a country club program - they barely cover a trauma hospital. Lots of 3rds and lots of orthognathics in a posh area of NYC.
All the residents at Rochester seemed to have families and I got the impression that they weren't huge into working you too hard.
Banner Good Samaritan seemed not too busy, but I think that is changing. Nice Arizona weather too!
Jefferson is pretty private practice heavy - but they seemed busy enough with wide-scope stuff."

Contach, disappointed that you would comment on something that you don't really know that much about.

That is one of the problems about student doctor forum, people can say whatever they want without any knowledge of the subject. I am an intern at Banner and we don't want anyone who thinks they are getting themselves into a country club. We do place a lot of implants (our chief's last year graduated with around 500 each). Other than implants we are a trauma heavy program. We have two true pan facial fracture patients in house right now undergoing multiple surgeries. Last week I put in over 110 hours. I have also gotten to cut and was first assist on a ZMC/arch/orbit case.

I'm not saying that we are without a doubt the busiest program in the country, but we are no country club. Those looking to pre-round later than 4:30 am need not apply.

I think it's okay that there are many different oral surgery programs with different levels of time commitment. Not everyone wants to spend 16 hours a day on their feet, away from their spouses and children, and that's okay too.

Why did you take the time to write a post about how great you and your program are for working the most hours? Did it make you feel big to squash someone small? Just answer the guy's question or remain silent, or even start your own thread about which OS residents are the most hardcore and family-unfriendly.

I think it's okay that there are many different oral surgery programs with different levels of time commitment. Not everyone wants to spend 16 hours a day on their feet, away from their spouses and children, and that's okay too.

Why did you take the time to write a post about how great you and your program are for working the most hours? Did it make you feel big to squash someone small? Just answer the guy's question or remain silent, or even start your own thread about which OS residents are the most hardcore and family-unfriendly.

It's fine to go for those residencies that aren't as demanding as some of the better programs...but at the same time, don't come onto an internet forum and ask for an "easy surgery residency" and expect not to get blasted

and if your second paragraph was addressing the dude from banner, i think you misunderstood him, he was defending his program saying it isn't a cake-walk...which is fine...no one wants to work their a$$ off and then read that their chillaxing (though I don't think contach really implied that to begin with)

It's fine to go for those residencies that aren't as demanding as some of the better programs...but at the same time, don't come onto an internet forum and ask for an "easy surgery residency" and expect not to get blasted

and if your second paragraph was addressing the dude from banner, i think you misunderstood him, he was defending his program saying it isn't a cake-walk...which is fine...no one wants to work their a$$ off and then read that their chillaxing (though I don't think contach really implied that to begin with)

Have you read anything I have posted? It seems like most of you can't read. I am looking for a program that is less demanding - I know I will have to take call, work through long surgeries, etc. I just don't want to be at a place that does way too many of these.

Thanks for the people who understand what I am asking and have answered my questions.

Have you read anything I have posted? It seems like most of you can't read. I am looking for a program that is less demanding - I know I will have to take call, work through long surgeries, etc. I just don't want to be at a place that does way too many of these.

Thanks for the people who understand what I am asking and have answered my questions.

Did you read my post...i said you were looking for a "aren't as demanding" residency...is that not accurate billy shakespeare?

The problem is you are asking a derogatory question. You put down all of the hard work of those who came before you. You will see when you are at a hospital how some people really respect your work. They see how talented OMFS is as a specialty and look forward to calling us from the trauma bay. Others will compliment us on how we are so willing to come right from cleaning people's teeth to help them with a luxated tooth. They see us as dentists not doctors or surgeons. Hundreds of people across the country are making a name for OMFS and this continues to allow us to have the HUGE scope that we have.

Surgery residencies are hard. Ask general surgeons or other surgeons. Surgeons are known to have difficult hours. If a med student wants to spend more time with family they usually don't do surgery.

Back to your original question, which I will sort of answer. Look for residencies where the resident's have families. Then when you are interviewing there ask them how much they see their family.

Last edited:

I believe that most of us can read very well. In fact, we read between the lines very well in reference to what you are really asking/ demonstrating with your initial question and subsequent defensive attitude once challenged on your motives.

Those of us that have been critical of your question are likely all battle hardened OMFS residents or graduated OMFS'ers. Those that don't see anything wrong with your question probably haven't been in the trenches. Like the above poster said, you are putting down the hard work of all that came before you with your questions/attitude.

I tend to agree with West Coast - ask how much they see their family and maybe this will give you more insight. Regardless, even the most "country" OMFS program will still be decidedly more intense than any other type of dental residency program. I hope you and your family are mentally prepared for the sacrifices you will have to make.

You're right....nobody wants to get trained too much in residency. You could start calling around and asking if places have a 3-year option.

I don't know you, but I really don't think OMS is for you. Even at interviews, it is very easy to read the people who aren't serious about it...

"How many vacation days do I get?"

"Do I have to stay in the hospital when on call?"

"Do you usually get home in time to eat with your family?"

It's great to be informed. It's a joke to go seeking the easy route. You show no respect to this field and the people who came before you. You need to do perio and still tell everyone you are a surgeon. It fits you.

Reactions: 2 users

I guess that is why you didn't do OMFS. No one wants to work their butt off, but that is what is required to achieve your goal. Trauma, orthognathics, etc. is where you learn to be a surgeon. The skills you learn in those settings will carry with you for the remainder of your career, even if you only do them sporadically. The reason why people on this forum, particularly residents or graduates, are peeved at the OP is because he has NO clue what he is getting into. I'm sure there are many people who are capable of getting into a program, but only a select few who can actually do the program. But since you didn't do OMFS, you wouldn't know this. That's great that you get to make the big bucks while not wasting your time or causing you hassle...to each their own. I would caution you to think before you defend a clearly naive, lost dental student.

I think I can read just fine. You want a program that is less demanding?? You know you will have to take call, work through long surgeries, but you don't want to be at a place that does way too many of these?? I'm sorry pal, but surgeons sometimes don't get to choose when to operate. If you want to be in private practice all by yourself, then you will need to be fully prepared to deal with every possible situation that comes your way. Because as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, you are the top of the dental food chain. Everyone will come to you first with every type of complication, difficult patient, etc. etc. And if you're not prepared to deal with it because you didn't want an intense surgical experience, then my suggestion, like most of the posters on here, is that you are simply not cut out for OMFS.

FYI, even at the so-called country club programs, you still have to show up before 6 and you won't leave until 6:30 or 7 on non call days. UCLA, for example, has a reputation as a country club program, but the trauma that they get at Harbor can be quite taxing. Trauma and orthognathic surgery will teach you how to operate. Please do everyone a favor: either change your attitude about how hard you are willing to work, or don't bother applying. You will see how tough it will be and probably waste a spot at a program if you're able to fool people into matching you in their program.

Last edited:
I think you will find that it is not so much how many times you do a surgery that will get you down. at least for me, I would rather be cutting and suturing rather than being a faculties "assistant." I am not talking about holding sticks, and retracting while learning from an amazing surgeon as they perform an intense surgery. I am talking about being a 3rd year resident spending significant portions of your "working hours" doing pre-op, post op for an attending's "private practice" operated in the school/hospital you are at. Even worse if it is cancer based and you have minimal interest in path. This will be grueling. At least that is what several residents told me as they begged me: "Don't come here. It sucks. I hate it. We have lost two residents in the last year, one a chief."
Check my recommendation but also check out the"busy" programs to better understand the differences. Like had been said, no matter where you go if you have the privilege, it is going to require every bit of your willpower time and energy. Plan on that and you'll be ok.

Keep in mind that a lot of the grueling work gets passed down as you move on through the program. I think a better question to ask is how many interns, how much are they exposed to, etc.

Don't let these guys get you down because you represent at least 1/3 of OS who enter the field because of an ultimately cush schedule with historically simple and predictable routine procedures (bread and butter) with amazingly high income potential. If OS tell you they didn't choose that route for money, schedule, pure prestige etc, half of them are lying.

S
No, screw him. He is the roadblock to our speciality. Its this "1/3 of the speciality" that you're talking about that will always hold us back. We just need a split in the specialty, tooth pullers vs surgeons. Theres no way mister tooth puller should be able to call himself by the same name that I will. Its a disgrace to all of us that aim to be head and neck surgeons. They aren't equal, and its a waste of training if thats all they want to be. This level of training should be reserved for people that want to practice as surgeons. In the operating room. In the hospital. In the clinic. Doesn't matter. If its too hard, or its not what you plan on practicing, then open the specialty up to the MD's and allow them to apply like they do in europe. They actually want to be surgeons. Looking for the easiest OMFS program, psh, you don't belong in this specialty, I hope you don't match.

You sound like such an ego maniac primadonna. I wish the OP all the luck in applying and following HIS dreams. To the OP...don't let people like this guy hold you back. You may clash with people like this guy in residency...but you'll gain respect for wanting to take the smart and easier path :).

S

You sound like such an ego maniac primadonna. I wish the OP all the luck in applying and following HIS dreams. To the OP...don't let people like this guy hold you back. You may clash with people like this guy in residency...but you'll gain respect for wanting to take the smart and easier path :).

Who respects the easier path?

You're a real piece of work...one of these guys identifies himself as a chief and you tell him to "get off his high horse" and accuse him of "not being able to read"...better hope no one finds out who you are...but seeing as how your IP gets logged on this site and we know you externed at lsu no recently...maybe not too hard

I feel bad for whatever program gets you

Lock this thread so @thewingman can go back to crying in a dark room by himself

So if you become a OMFS that only cuts out 3rds and throws in implants, do you just refer the other stuff to a real OMFS?

Not any ego maniac, at least not more than any other OMS. I just understand the challenges that we face as a specialty. You would have no idea, you're not OMS. Have you been reading the constant editorials in the journal about how it's a travesty that's hurting our profession to have people like the OP train and then not use it? I'm not going to bother to explain to you why it hurts us, you wouldn't understand, you don't know anything about our profession.

Right...unfounded statements and clearly you're talking out of your rear. Do you know me? I did an externship and GPR with a huge focus on oral surgery. Spent plenty of time with the residents and understand the long hours they put into residency. I know more than I'd care to know about "your" profession - there you go again. I know enough to know that it isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life! Does that mean I can't do it? No. I have a lot of respect for oral surgeons but you may want to change your attitude and how you view other areas of dentistry as inferior to your specialty. May not do you much good on the outside and in the "real world". Just some advice.

Right...unfounded statements and clearly you're talking out of your rear. Do you know me? I did an externship and GPR with a huge focus on oral surgery. Spent plenty of time with the residents and understand the long hours they put into residency. I know more than I'd care to know about "your" profession - there you go again. I know enough to know that it isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life! Does that mean I can't do it? No. I have a lot of respect for oral surgeons but you may want to change your attitude and how you view other areas of dentistry as inferior to your specialty. May not do you much good on the outside and in the "real world". Just some advice.

Never said anything about dentistry being inferior. Those are your words. And no, you don't know anything about this profession. An externship and GPR don't teach you any of the political controversies that we face. Why am I even bothering with you?

Sorry bud. Your experience, while appreciated, doesn't give you the inside views of our specialty.

The most recent newsletter I read talked about splitting the field into "oral surgeons" and "oral and Maxillofacial surgeons". I have mixed feelings but guys like the OP makes me wish that it was divided.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but don't claim to know so much more about my field. I'm a chief resident and get humbled too much for my liking by this specialty daily.

So if you become a OMFS that only cuts out 3rds and throws in implants, do you just refer the other stuff to a real OMFS?

Great question.

Yes. Some people refer out things they aren't comfortable with. Certain path, cancer, etc. and that is totally acceptable.

When an OMS refers out a simple submandibular abscess because he doesn't have hospital privileges, it's called taking a dump on your colleague.

Never said anything about dentistry being inferior. Those are your words. And no, you don't know anything about this profession. An externship and GPR don't teach you any of the political controversies that we face. Why am I even bothering with you?

Can't answer that, but it seems as if you're so busy with residency, why be wasting so much time on student doctor? Anyways, I'm kinda done with this thread.

Can't answer that, but it seems as if you're so busy with residency, why be wasting so much time on student doctor? Anyways, I'm kinda done with this thread.

Studying for step II, these posts are my study break.