Country Club OMFS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
work hard play hard

Members don't see this ad.

I think the op has a semi-legit reason, in that he/she is looking for a program that fits family life during residency. Although, I wouldn't waste my time during the 4 years learning just implants and wizzys (even if I will most likely end up doing those, for the most part, the rest of my life) - rather train and know more and do less than the other way around.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong seeking out easier programs. Look at all the top medical specialties - rads, anesth, derm, optho, rad onc, (plastics, ortho are exceptions) - they are all super vagina specialities in terms of time and commitment and usually are attended by top students.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong seeking out easier programs. Look at all the top medical specialties - rads, anesth, derm, optho, rad onc, (plastics, ortho are exceptions) - they are all super vagina specialities in terms of time and commitment and usually are attended by top students.

Are you referring to the time and commitment during residency or after residency/fellowship (in practice)? Because anesthesia, rads, optho all have to take a fair amount of call while in residency (at least at my hospital) and I wouldn't classify their time/commitment as that easy while in training. Now once in practice I agree they can have fairly cake schedules. I agree with you on most derm and rad onc residencies - they are pretty relaxed when it comes to time/ commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the op has a semi-legit reason, in that he/she is looking for a program that fits family life during residency. Although, I wouldn't waste my time during the 4 years learning just implants and wizzys (even if I will most likely end up doing those, for the most part, the rest of my life) - rather train and know more and do less than the other way around.

I love how a dental student has an opinion on the top medical specialties and calls these medical specialties "vagina specialties". Regardless, OMS isn't a "vagina specialty" so seeking out the easier programs is when the applicant tries to make it one.

Like it was stated in a previous post, smart move to take your profile picture off. Unfortunately for you, there's not that many females to apply.

To the OP, if your goals are to do T&T (titanium and thirds), why the hell would you become an surgeon to do that. There are many GP's that do it.

To the OP, if your goals are to do T&T (titanium and thirds), why the hell would you become an surgeon to do that. There are many GP's that do it.

You should ask the same question to the majority of surgeons out in private practice.

bangin_pussy748.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
You should ask the same question to the majority of surgeons out in private practice.

Majority? I'm not too sure about that. I don't have stats but in my city, the majority of us will/do have hospital privileges. I would hope to think it is like that across the country. The guys who only stay in the office are the outliers I think.

I would be interested to see the statistics of guys who are only in the office.

I've been out in practice for awhile now... myself and most of my colleagues have hospital privileges with or without some heavy vs light trauma call. I know a few older OS guys that have pulled back in recent years and only do office based stuff as a semi-retirement sort of thing. however most guys my age or 10-15 years into their careers are still involved in the hospital in some capacity. G-d forbid you have a complication in the office and need to bring the patient to the OR... you want that resource.

also, keeping our hands wet in the OR vets respect and allows us to field respect from our MD counterparts as well as our DMD peers... as an aside, the AMA is powerful group. there have been some tense interactions between AAOMS and AMA in the past. you always want to stay in good graces with all of your health care colleagues both MD and DMD. not a good thing to isolate yourself in your office 100% of the time. maintaining hospital privileges allows your to cover all of your bases and keep OMS as the wonderful bridge between medicine and dentistry that we've worked so hard to achieve.

some OS do corporate mostly, some do corporate and their own office, some strictly in their own office.... however you plan your week, keep your hands wet in the OR. it will serve you well within and without the community

Reactions: 8 users