Couple Questions Regarding DAT and Application Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinatrail7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I might be able to ask all you knowledgeable people a few questions. Thanks for all the help in advance. These are my questions:

1) For those of you who have taken the DAT, do you think that 7-8 weeks of studying is enough to get a great score? I am planning on taking the DAT in early July, so I'll have about 7 weeks to study after my finals end this week. I don't want to rush it, but I also don't want my application to be too late.

2) If I do, indeed, take the DAT in early July, will that be too late to be considered by all schools for Dec. 1st acceptance? I want to be considered "early," but I already feel tight on time taking the DAT in early July, let alone any earlier.

3) Finally, for you experienced folk, any advice for absolutely killing the application process? I want to do well and I'd love to learn from those of you who have gone through this. Again, I appreciate everybody's help!

Members don't see this ad.

I took my DAT first week of July, studied about 7 weeks after finals. You're still considered early, I received first week interviews from my top choices and Dec. 2nd acceptances. Just complete everything else for your application when the portal opens so all you have to do is have the DAT scores sent and verified after you take it.

3) Start now in preparing everything you need. A little bit everyday is better than doing it all at once and it gives you time to think about everything. Also consider writing/ thinking about other topics as most secondary applications require another set of essay questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Yes, plenty of time.
2. No, June/July is "early", August/September is "on time".
3. Any aspect in particular? As said above, you can prepare some things early but since you'd be waiting on your DAT score, you have awhile. For interviews, read interview feedback: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/?view=dental Select a school then "view survey results", then scroll to the bottom and click questions "see all".

1. Yes, plenty of time.
2. No, June/July is "early", August/September is "on time".
3. Any aspect in particular? As said above, you can prepare some things early but since you'd be waiting on your DAT score, you have awhile. For interviews, read interview feedback: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/?view=dental Select a school then "view survey results", then scroll to the bottom and click questions "see all".

3) Are there any aspects that you felt helped you really stand out as an applicant? I guess that is more what I was getting at. Everybody knows about GPA, DAT, EC's, and such, but I was just wondering if people had other things that really helped them stand out and excel.

Also, thank you everybody for all the responses!

3) Are there any aspects that you felt helped you really stand out as an applicant? I guess that is more what I was getting at. Everybody knows about GPA, DAT, EC's, and such, but I was just wondering if people had other things that really helped them stand out and excel.

IMO, anything of that sort you had to have done in the past, nothing you can really pull out in a month or two. Otherwise, not much else you can do other than have a great PS/Secondary/Interview.

Couldn't just about anything fall under the categories of "GPA,DAT,EC, and such?" :D It's all about how successful you are with those things. Sure, everyone has a DAT score. But not everyone has a really high one. Same goes with GPA. Everyone has ECs--but what can set you apart is how meaningful they actually are. When the opportunities present themselves, you just have to take them.

I took my DAT first week of July, studied about 7 weeks after finals. You're still considered early, I received first week interviews from my top choices and Dec. 2nd acceptances. Just complete everything else for your application when the portal opens so all you have to do is have the DAT scores sent and verified after you take it.

Does this mean that you should wait for your scores to be verified before hitting submit on your application? Or is it okay to hit submit and just have the DAT scores come in later? (Years ago, people would hit submit on their application because it took longer to process than having the DAT scores delivered (I think?) But since applications are also submitted electronically now, should you just wait for your scores to be verified?)

Just a bit confused :unsure:

Does this mean that you should wait for your scores to be verified before hitting submit on your application? Or is it okay to hit submit and just have the DAT scores come in later? (Years ago, people would hit submit on their application because it took longer to process than having the DAT scores delivered (I think?) But since applications are also submitted electronically now, should you just wait for your scores to be verified?)

You can submit without scores, they will be mailed out in next available mailing after they are processed.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, TrueBlueMeg! sjv already answered your question, but check this thread here. Since you're just getting started, I think it will help you a lot. :)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aadsas-faq-compilation.1020426/