Couples Match into ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ovaltine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey what's up,

Long time reader, first time poster (I think)

I'm at the start of my fourth year at a US med school and going to be applying into ENT. I feel that I'm qualified enough to match somewhere in the field: Step I 260+, hopefully AOA (not announced yet), honors in a couple clerkships, and some basic science research and non-ENT pubs, etc, but I plan on couples matching with my girlfriend who wants to go into pediatrics. For pediatrics, she is a very strong candidate.

We would like to stay in the Northeast (where we go to med school) but plan on sweeping applications from Ohio/Illinois down to the North Carolina area. We don't need to be at the same institute but preferably within an hour drive or so from each other.

Basically my question is: are there people out there who have been in this situation or know others who have and have advice or the "I wish I had known this back then..." sort of stuff. Like...
- Any ERAS specific advice or knowledge
- should we declare couples' matching when sending out the apps for interviews or just declare it after interview season right before we submit our ROL's
- do ENT or peds programs look favorably/unfavorably on this situation or do they not care?
- any programs in specific who like couple's applying to their institutes?
- Am I going to hurt her chances of getting interviews or being ranked? Or do programs not talk that much and I'm just paranoid? - I'll swallow my pride and admit that she's a much stronger Peds candidate than I am an ENT candidate
- Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks so much for any advice in advance

Members don't see this ad.

So I realize that this post is 6+ years old, but any feedback on this? OR has hopefully matched and is an attending by now but does anyone else have any input into ENT programs feelingsuch about couples matching? Both myself and SO are relatively competitive; one application to ENT one to OB/Gyn.