Couples match??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me what is the couples match when we get to the root of it? Obviously I know it is the process of trying to get compatible or the same residency as your partner..

I was talking to one of the interns at the hospital we re at right now and we was telling us that the "couples match" is almost like a separate match in of its own in ways.. basically PDs have to know ahead of time that you are "couples matching" officially and they have to select certain preferences when ranking you?

Is this true? There was one or two programs that we later spoke with again that had forgotten that we were a couple and a few PDs that told us that they rank all couples separately... what does this mean? Is the "couples match" something that PDs must be made aware of early on ... or is it just a preference that applicants put down on their ROL with all the permutations..etc.

Basically was the intern correct in saying that it is its own match inside of the match? OR is it basically just more of a way for applicants to set their preferences?

**I know this is the anesthesia forums but the Anesthesia forums are kinda my "home" on SDN.. plus you guys seem to be the most active group and I have been loosing my mind with the match this year.. just when I thought I had my Rank list figured out and was entering it into NRMP.. my wife and I realized that the couples match is not as straight forward as just entering in your list..

Members don't see this ad.

It is not a separate match. Its just a more complicated way of setting preferences such that when the match computer goes down your list and finds you a 'match' it also checks for your couple's match to that city/program....if you don't both match, then the computer checks the #2, and so on. PDs probably want to know because ultimately its harder to couples match you, if they really like you. Unless your SO is a rockstar in their respective program. Sometimes they will communicate with the other department and ask them how much they like your SO as an applicant....if he she has little chance of matching in the IM/rads/surger/etc department, well, then the anesthesia dept has little incentive to rank you highly because they already know you won't succeed at XYZ program in the couple match.

PDs will be aware that you are couples matching if you clicked the button that linked to your partner's USMLE ID. You don't have to "make the PDs aware" of it, because A) they can see that you are couples matching in your application, and/or B) it will come up in your interview.

What they do with that information is entirely variable. Some of them will talk to your partner's PD about their chances of matching. If you are a rockstar and your partner is borderline, they may try to get that PD to bump them up the rank list in return for reciprocating the favor later.

Some PDs won't even care. Both approaches are valid. They don't have to rank anybody separately, though. They will create their own rank list, and then it's the computer's job to make it all fit. The take-home point is that it's too late to worry about it at this point.

Also, hopefully you meant to say that you were entering "our ranklist" and not "my ranklist," because it's really the same list, with a lot of different permutations. Don't list any combinations that you wouldn't be willing to live with. We had one couple thrown in a pairing at the end of their rank list that had one at a program in City A and another in City B several hundred miles away, and that's where they matched.

And if you didn't link to your partner's application and you're each entering separate lists and hoping they line up, there is danger afoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are both applying to the same field and for the most part we interviewed at the same places ... my wife has a little bit higher scores than me so she interviewed at 3 more places than me... just saying this because the cross department communication wont be necessary, it ll be upto the PD and the committees that we interviewed at to decide "our fates"..

We told every program we interviewed at that we are a couple.. for the most part they were pretty receptive to the idea but most said that they will rank us individually but strongly consider that we are a couple.. but basically that's what the couples match from the programs perspective is.. they dont check anything different off for couples from their sides? There were only about 2 or 3 programs that they really had to think about if they wanted to take a couple into their program... but those were basically programs that only took 5 or 6 people per year..but many programs were pretty cool with it.. and a few programs said it was actually a "plus" and that it would be kinda neat to have a couple in their program.. one associate PD we met actually did the couples match himself when he was a resident so he seemed very cool with it and basically told us he was going to "push hard" for us at their rank meeting..

We are both applying to the same field and for the most part we interviewed at the same places ... my wife has a little bit higher scores than me so she interviewed at 3 more places than me... just saying this because the cross department communication wont be necessary, it ll be upto the PD and the committees that we interviewed at to decide "our fates"..

We told every program we interviewed at that we are a couple.. for the most part they were pretty receptive to the idea but most said that they will rank us individually but strongly consider that we are a couple.. but basically that's what the couples match from the programs perspective is.. they dont check anything different off for couples from their sides? There were only about 2 or 3 programs that they really had to think about if they wanted to take a couple into their program... but those were basically programs that only took 5 or 6 people per year..but many programs were pretty cool with it.. and a few programs said it was actually a "plus" and that it would be kinda neat to have a couple in their program.. one associate PD we met actually did the couples match himself when he was a resident so he seemed very cool with it and basically told us he was going to "push hard" for us at their rank meeting..

Of course it's too late to change anything. Good luck to you both in the match! I hope you both get what you want/need. Of course, an associate PD "pushing hard" for you guarantees nothing. I've seen two different couples (though matching in different fields) get told they're both wanted at a specific institution by the respective program, then only one person matches there and the other partner in a different city. I'm no expert... BUT the permutations you enter are VERY important - I hope you maximized the possible combinations within the same city/area. Let us know how things work out, all the best to you! Also, you guys really want to train at the same program???

It's horrible we have to wait so long to find out the results of a computer program that takes 90 seconds to run. I think doing this out of tradition is quite ridiculous. At least, I believe it's still done like this out of tradition, but I may be wrong.

This sounds very familiar. :rolleyes:

My wife and I did the exact same thing. We didn't "couples" match, but everyone knew we were a couple. We just wanted to match at our highest ranking. My wife busted out a 262 on step 2 :eek: after I beat her on step 1 (242 :arghh:) (to this date she never lets me forget that :sour:). Our rank list was exactly the same.

Match day was.... AWEFUL!

She got her #1 pick and I got my #3 pick.

Here is my advise:

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!

PDs understand this very well. I was offered a position 2 months into my intern year (outside of the match) and transferred to my #1 choice (thanks to my better half). Apparently, the dividing line of who came on board was between her and I on the programs rank list. As per the program director... "ladies first".

We spent a year apart but in the same geographical area which wasn't too bad as we saw ea. other frequently. It was a little stressful, but in the end it worked out.

Good luck to you two! :luck:
Anesthesia is awesome... even more so as a couple.

Last edited: