Couples match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncolizumab1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couples matching as 2 DOs. With all things being equal, would it be better to try matching in the same specialty (e.g. both psych)? Or 2 separate ones (e.g. IM and psych). Any help would be great

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a PD, just an MS4 who is couples matching this year. I would say IM & Psych would be the better route to go. You have to look at it from the program's perspective. Most places only take 4-8 residents per year. That basically eliminates all of the small programs from your potential match. Why would they want 2 of their 4 residents to be a couple? You're going to want the same time off for vacation, maternity/paternity leave, etc. What if you guys break up? Big risk for them. Even places that take 6 residents. Now 1/3 of the intern class belongs to one couple. Big risk. Tack on the fact that you're a DO and not an MD and it gets even worse. That's just my two cents. Fingers crossed that couples match works out in my favor with my girlfriend. She's going for FM, and psych for me. We interviewed at 12 places, but are only ranking 10 of them. 9 of those 10 are in the same city and 1 our of combinations is an hour apart, driving distance.

Just know that couples matching disadvantages both applicants, so start with a discussion that makes sure both of you know that and both want to make that sacrifice. Medical students work long and hard to stay on top and it isn’t in their competitive nature to do anything that aims even slightly lower than their highest potential.

Now couples matching doesn’t have to be much of a disadvantage. It is like the inverse of the marriage tax. Spouses with the least disparity of income see the greatest increase in income tax. Well in the couples match, the person going for the least competitive specialty is the most disadvantaged by the person going for the most competitive specialty. If you are going into psych and your spouse wants derm or optho, the derm or optho person will dictate where the pool of potential psych matches will be. When I see a couples match and they say “my partner is going into plastic surgery”, I might as well say “nice meeting you, but you know this isn’t going to be up to either one of us”. Then the job becomes one of determining if you want them or not. Even if we put you #1 on our list and you want our program the most, your derm or optho spouse will call the shot. Since there is no harm in having you on our list, we ignore the fact that you are on a couples match and we let things fly. That is the beauty of the match.

Psych is almost always on the lower competition end. FM, neuro, or Peds would be the only possible exception and they are more comparable than less competitive.

By the way, love is more important than which specific program you get. You are much better off with each other’s support than you are in a program that is 5% better with a distance relationship. I don’t think that programs worry too much about taking both applicants in a couples match. You generally have 20 or so single high achieving young doctors in their mid to late 20s and they start having sex with each other no matter what you do anyway. Imagine that, who would have thunk it? :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The part about love being more important, or the part about young adults having sex with each other? (Both were about equally weighted so this is a projective test.)

Reactions: 1 users
Come to think of it, no difference. Unless of course you marry for love, then sex and love seem to be capable of much greater separation after the first child. ;)

Reactions: 1 user