Couples match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rox

ossified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need to specify before submitting my application that I will be couple matching? Can I do that say in October?

If my partner and I are applying to the same specialty, what impact will that have on the chances of receiving interviews? I mean will programs look into that favorably?

Any link for thorough review about couple match besides NRMP's ?

Members don't see this ad.

Your couple's match status is part of your ERAS Profile, and as such can be changed at any time.

Will programs see a couple applying as a positive? Hard to say -- depends on the program and the couple.

If there is a small program, let's say 2-3 slots, and a couple applies, the couple would take most/all of the spots. PD's may be happy with this, and may not. If one person needs an LOA for something, the other may need one also. Or, what happens if one of the couple is struggling in the program -- it could be very uncomfortable for all, and it's possible that both could leave. On the other hand, if all works out it can be a great situation.

If a program has lots of slots, then the problems above fade away and there really is no issue.

The other issue raised is what to do if the couple are at two different "levels" on the rank list. Let's say one is really good, and the other is average. The PD could rank them on the ROL in their appropriate spots, but might lose the really good person if they didn't go down to the middle one. They could move the middle person up to the top. Or they could move the top person down to the middle. Or, split the difference. There is no answer here -- each program will do something different.

You can "stealth" couples match. Nothing stops you from participating in the NRMP couples match and not tell anyone. You simply leave it off your application, and interview on different days.

Thanks aPD. In case one partner is viewed more competitive than the other, will that lead to inviting both, none or only the more competitive?

In case one decides not to indicate that they are couple matching, do you believe programs will be happy to invite my partner once I receive an interview and notify them that I will be couple matching?

gutonc, which one do you see happening most likely?

gutonc, which one do you see happening most likely?

Sorry, my crystal ball seems to be working as well as yours right now.

I think "only invite the stronger one" is the least likely of the 3 since they already know you're unlikely to rank them if only one of you interviews there, but it's probably a total toss-up.

I would lean toward the more competitive partner is likely to land an interview, and bring up the weaker candidate. Alternatively, some programs may just go ahead and offer an interview only to the stronger candidate, assuming that the weaker SO may land interviews at other geographically close programs.

Sorry, my crystal ball seems to be working as well as yours right now.

I think "only invite the stronger one" is the least likely of the 3 since they already know you're unlikely to rank them if only one of you interviews there, but it's probably a total toss-up.

Well if there are other programs geographically nearby that wouldn't necessarily be true.

Because you don't have to go to the same program to couples match, and programs know that. So maybe if (lets us los angeles as an example) - UCLA likes you, but USC likes your partner. You could list both of those are the same number line in the match and one of you will end up at each - still in the same area.

So especially programs in big metro areas I doubt they presume you won't list them just because they didn't invite your partner.

Thanks aPD. In case one partner is viewed more competitive than the other, will that lead to inviting both, none or only the more competitive?

In case one decides not to indicate that they are couple matching, do you believe programs will be happy to invite my partner once I receive an interview and notify them that I will be couple matching?
Agree with answers above, what programs will do in these situations will differ. If you don't mention you're couples matching and then after one partner gets an IV you ask about the other, it's equally anyone's guess.