Couples Matching - MD and DO Together - Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browntown1209

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recent lurker, but decided that my situation is pretty unique and I needed some advice.

So I took the COMLEX and only the COMLEX and got a 410. I had been averaging in the upper 400's on COMSAE B and D. Average student in the first 2 years, nothing spectacular. I'm interested in Peds and IM. Now where it all gets confusing is my fiance is in an allopathic school, a 3rd year as well. She took the USMLE and smoked it and got a 245. We would both love to couples match but now with this whole single accreditation process and I'm pretty sure there is no match for AOA and ACGME together yet. From the last thing I heard, the joint process is already beginning and by July 2015, there should be a combo. The main question is would it be better to apply to MD residencies together as a couple match or wait for this and risk the DO/MD thing to be figured out. We both are planning to do our away rotations at the same time, same city, just different programs 4th year. We'd hope that we can talk to the separate programs and inform them of our situation, but even then, I'm not sure if it's better for me to apply to low-tier MD residencies in Peds or IM and have her apply to MD residencies in IM in the same city and shoot for that.

I'm planning on killing my core rotations and Step 2, but just some advice on what to expect and how to go about 4th year would be great. Any information people have about this single-accreditation thing would also be great.

Yes, I realize this is a highly specialized, totally random situation, but any help on this topic would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way you can couples match is via the acgme match. You should really consider taking the usmle if you think you can pass.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be hesitant in recommending USMLE - you barely passed COMLEX, weren't doing well on COMSAE ... the last thing you want on your application (to acgme programs) is a USMLE failure or low USMLE score.

As for couples matching - only works if you do NRMP match together ... not sure once AOA residencies become ACGME if they will finally unify the match (and the timeline). If there is a unified match by the time you and your fiance/wife applies for residency, then you both can check the couple's matching option. If not, then you have two options

1. ACGME/NRMP couples matching. Your low COMLEX score will hurt you but not all is lost. Be thoughtful in selecting programs to apply to (ie university IM programs are out, university peds program will be difficult, certain areas of the country will be difficult due to popularity/competitiveness). Perhaps do an audition rotation (as a SubI/AI) early on during your fourth year, and do well ... showing the program that you are more than just numbers on a piece of paper. If they like you, they might (and most likely will) rank you higher on their rank list than if you never rotated with them (it also helps if residents and faculty members go to bat for you and wanting you to be ranked higher). If you are mediocre or don't perform well, then it will not help with the ranking (and can hurt)

2. AOA/ACGME separate matches - this will be more difficult and greater possibility that you and your fiance/wife may end up in different parts of the country. AOA programs tend to cluster around certain areas of the country (esp IM and Peds) so your fiance will have to apply only to areas where you are applying. To maximize your chances of being together (but increase risk of not matching for one or both of you), you can apply to only one region (ie Michigan, Pennsylvania, etc). Unfortunately the AOA match occurs after NRMP rank list submission deadline.

On SDN, people tend to say "just do well on USMLE", but it's easier said than done. And if you traditionally don't do well on standardized testing (ie SAT/ACT, MCAT, COMLEX), then to suddenly achieve a high score on USMLE will be difficult (not unheard of, but difficult). With that said, doing well on COMLEX 2 will help (since a lot of programs factor both step 1 and step 2 scores when it comes to ranking). Doing well on USMLE Step 2 will help with ACGME programs. As stated above, I don't think you should take USMLE Step 1 unless you are confident that you can do well on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! This really helps put things in perspective. I suppose I wasn't clear but I will not be taking USMLE Step 1 and decided against taking it since I was not doing as well. I decided to cancel that test and focus primarily on the COMLEX. I'm not sure yet if I'll do the USMLE Step 2, but that is a while from now. It sounds like you believe that shooting for the ACGME match as a couple has a higher chance of us being together than being separate. We do both plan to do some SubI/AIs. I want to show to the programs my work ethic and be as personable as I can be. Any other advice would be great! Once again, I really appreciate the extent to which you explained my options.

I would be hesitant in recommending USMLE - you barely bassed COMLEX, weren't doing well on COMSAE ... the last thing you want on your application (to acgme programs) is a USMLE failure or low USMLE score.

As for couples matching - only works if you do NRMP match together ... not sure once AOA residencies become ACGME if they will finally unify the match (and the timeline). If there is a unified match by the time you and your fiance/wife applies for residency, then you both can check the couple's matching option. If not, then you have two options

1. ACGME/NRMP couples matching. Your low COMLEX score will hurt you but not all is lost. Be thoughtful in selecting programs to apply to (ie university IM programs are out, university peds program will be difficult, certain areas of the country will be difficult due to popularity/competitiveness). Perhaps do an audition rotation (as a SubI/AI) early on during your fourth year, and do well ... showing the program that you are more than just numbers on a piece of paper. If they like you, they might (and most likely will) rank you higher on their rank list than if you never rotated with them (it also helps if residents and faculty members go to bat for you and wanting you to be ranked higher). If you are mediocre or don't perform well, then it will not help with the ranking (and can hurt)

2. AOA/ACGME separate matches - this will be more difficult and greater possibility that you and your fiance/wife may end up in different parts of the country. AOA programs tend to cluster around certain areas of the country (esp IM and Peds) so your fiance will have to apply only to areas where you are applying. To maximize your chance of being together (but increase risk of not matching for one or both of you), you can apply to only one region (ie Michigan, Pennsylvania, etc). Unfortunately the AOA match occurs after NRMP rank list submission deadline.

On SDN, people tend to say "just do well on USMLE", but its easier said than done. And if you traditionally don't do well on standardized testing (ie SAT/ACT, MCAT, COMLEX), then to suddenly achieve a high score on USMLE will be difficult (not unheard of, but difficult). With that said, doing well on COMLEX 2 will help (since a lot of programs factor both step 1 and step 2 scores when it comes to ranking). Doing well on USMLE Step 2 will help with ACGME programs. As stated above, I don't think you should take USMLE Step 1 unless you are confident that you can do well on it.

If you check the schedules I think you'll find that AOA match day this year is Feb 9 and NRMP match lists close 9pm on Feb 25. I believe this holds true year to year.

I'm also a DO couples matching with an MD. With any option other than the ACGME couples match, you're rolling dice on whether or not you'll be in the same city / area. If you can find some program directors either at your school or your spouse's school that would be a great resource for some advice as well on what to do going forward. If you do end up couples mathching your fiance's school can be a great resouce as well, as her successful match is tied to you as well. My main suggestion, however, is that you keep communicating with your fiance about both of your ideas about the future, and continue to be open as you near the match.