Course load help please...and Calculus.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maeri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for taking a look at this.

I have wanted to be a doctor since I can remember, but I'm hoping what I'm doing right now won't endanger my goals...

So I am a first semester sophomore at an all honors college.

I took bio alone for my freshman year because I was instructed by my doctor to take a lighter load for health reasons. This year I am taking chemistry, genetics, and I was hoping calc 1. Calculus, and math in general don't come easily to me, and I went to the first class and decided it was a bad idea to take it with chem and genetics. ( I am also working 20 hrs a week in a lab).

I plan on taking it during spring so that I can have some time to study the material--(I never took calc in high school, only pre-calc.) I honestly don't think I will do well if I take it this semester. So my question is, will it hurt me to wait?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have a Calculus pathway that runs parallel with Calc 1 and Calc 2. Is there an option to take Differential Calculus instead? It's a slower pathway, but hopefully it'll balance your course load better.

My Calc I class in college was very difficult... and I consider myself decent at math. It all depends on the professor you have and how much they try to challenge you. The biggest issue is the amount of work it can be. If I were you I'd wait to take it unless its an essential prerequisite for another class. You should focus more on chem and genetics-- learn the material well because you will have to remember it for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you taking calc if it doesn't come easy to you? Take stats or another branch of math

Calc is entirely problem based. The more you do, the more you'll fee comfortable with problems. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's hard, as long as you keep up and continuously practice. Medical reasons I am not aware about however, may make this difficult. So use your discretion as it is work intensive

In my personal experience, Calculus is hard. But, assuming that you need it to graduate, you need to establish a difference between tactically planning your schedule and avoiding the class. You're gonna have to take it eventually, and depending on your major, your classes are only going to get harder.