Course Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm1nty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I am starting a post-bac to take my science classes, and I've read that some Dental schools have an English requirement. For example, at UOP, they require that you have two semesters of English, Communications or Speech.

I went to a University with no core curriculum (aside from your major, of course) and so have no specific "English" class, but every course has an emphasis on strong writing skills. I have taken history classes, political science, literature (modern chinese literature, but in English), anthropology etc, which are all very writing-based. I was also in economics consulting for the past several years - work that required report writing, communicating the clients, and giving presentations. Do you think that any of those would be taken into consideration?

Or do you suggest I just go ahead and take 2 semesters of "English, Communications or Speech". Any recommendations in the Boston area? I will be taking my post-bac science classes at the Harvard Extension school.

Just thought I'd ask you guys before I contact the individual admissions departments.

Also, I just read that UOP requires 4 semesters of Biology with lab. This is discouraging. Do most schools require 4 semesters of Bio? Or 2? How do you career changers and people doing your post-bac organize that in your schedule? I was planning on taking Physics and Chem in the first year, then Bio and Organic Chem in the second year. I do have college credit for 2 semesters of Chem, 2 semesters of Physics, 2 semesters of Bio, and 2 semesters of Math, from taking the British 'A' level exams before university, and I received As in all of the above. In university, with regards to sciences, I only took 1 semester of Higher level Chemistry, and 1 semester of Organic Chemistry (for chemical engineers). But this is close to 10 years ago - I graduated in 2000. Hmm..this is beginning to sound more and more complicated. Definitely need to talk to some admissions departments.

I'd appreciate any advice you have. Any more admissions requirements that I might be lacking?? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.