course title confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mars41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some classes at my school have different course titles than the common prereq names. For instance general chemistry is titled "college chemistry" and organic chemistry is listed as "general organic and biochemistry".

Do you think this will ever become an issue? I would hate to take a sequence of organic chemistry that didn't count towards med school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're actually taking the med school prereqs, then no, this is not an issue.

But if you're taking the nursing prereqs, which sounds possible, then yes, this is an issue.

Find your school's premed advising web page, which should have the premed course list.

Best of luck to you.

^make sure to check on that. If that's not the issue, then...

I've got a transcript that is beyond weird- everybody's first reaction is "WTF is this?"
When entering this in AMCAS I took a few liberties. For example:
Transcript- "Junior Laboratory, 5 credits" (for real)
AMCAS, I put - "JR Lab: x, y, & z" where xyz were the topics we actually covered.
They let it stand and it's made filling in secondaries much easier, though slightly more time consuming to type out all the extra stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@DrMidlife Thanks for your response. The classes are general classes towards an associate degree at a local community college. There is no pre med program at the school. I graduated with a BA from a liberal arts college and I am going back to school to take the basic sciences.

Compressed semesters and weird course titles are making me apprehensive about the community college track.

@Mars41

Another easy way to check is to look at universities and their transfer guides (or course listing page on the university's website).

Here in Texas, if you take say General Chemistry I at a community college (which most of the time is CHEM 1411, but it can be different depending on the school), then go look at a university's webpage and find their course catalog and next to the equivalent Chemistry course will be say CHEM 1307 (1411, 15XX, 17XX) and so on. It tells you the 1411 class is the same class, as well as any other community colleges course numbers.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
@FutureDrB thanks for the info. Your responses are always extremely helpful.