Courseload too light?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENZm3Qk5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That particular course load should not be viewed as a light semester.

Reactions: 1 user
In no universe would that be considered a "light" course load. I only took 12 credits the semester that I took the MCAT and I was never asked about it. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never took more than 14 credits per semester in undergrad and I am attending a US allo school...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I seriously doubt any adcom is going to go semester-by-semester and judge you on whether your course load was too light or not.

Fastidious Adcom: Compares cGPA/sGPA and trends between years or different colleges
Regular Adcom: Looks at overall cGPA/sGPA only

Eh, I never had the luxury of taking less than 17 units, else I wouldn't graduate on time and take all the classes I needed. And yeah, I worked/volunteered 10-20 hours a week.
Those classes are hard, but I think adding a humanities class is doable, provided it's an easy class with a smaller time commitment than the science ones you have.
Scout out the available classes and try to pick an easier one.

Of course if you have the opportunity to do less, by all means take it easy on yourself.

It's okay to have a couple "light" semesters. Frankly, credit hours don't mean anything in terms of difficulty of the courses. I had two 14 credit semesters and I am doing fine.

On the AMCAS the credits and GPA are broken down yearly. So you can have a 14 credit semester and an 18 credit semester in one year, and they will see it as a 32 credit year.

I agree with everyone saying that your courseload is fine and NOT light since it's math and science heavy. Also, Calc 4 exists? 0_o

^ I was thinking differential equations

Hey all,

I am registering for classes and I would love your opinion on my courseload. As of now, I am planning to take Genetics, P-Chem, and Calc IV. On top of research (15-20 hrs/week), that would put me at 14 credits total. Will 14 credits (even though it is science heavy) be viewed as a light semester? Is it worth trying to add a 3-4 credit humanities course?

Thanks in advance!
Not at all. Those are some of the hardest undergraduate courses around, and I think if you rock them it will look very impressive. I think it would only appear "light" if a majority of those credits were fluff classes and you had nothing else going on outside of that. As was stated above, OP, you're fine.

Thanks for all the help! You guys were super helpful.
11ce18.jpg
AVe201