Courses after Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relz.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm quite a ways away from possible acceptance letters (applying next summer for 2016 matriculation) but just for reference and help planning my schedule I thought I would ask. Most universities will be adding quite a few new required courses due to the MCAT change (biochem, sociology, stats, etc) and I was wondering if I could take these the summer I matriculate. For example, take biochem and sociology summer of 2016 with the course ending mid June. I know most schools state that they prereqs must be completed by matriculation but do you think it would hinder my chances of acceptance if I left these two until then?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact each school. I know some schools that I applied for required all prereq courses to be done by January of the matriculation year.

Okay but even if they say it can be completed up until Aug 1. and I do that, do you think it would have a negative impact on my app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand where you are coming from; I have had bad advising experience and I do most of my scheduling myself. Biochem I may have to take next semester or summer. I am honestly hoping to take it next semester so I can complete it before the MCAT. The other classes you have mentioned, I have taken. If you have the MCAT planned and no time for classes beforehand, what I would do is study the material on your own or have someone go over it with you (maybe an MCAT prep course?)

Okay but even if they say it can be completed up until Aug 1. and I do that, do you think it would have a negative impact on my app?

Nope. There was one guy I remember that took a summer intro bio lab that I was a teaching intern for at my university. He matriculated the same summer into the university's medical school. Even if this is an anecdote, I still don't think taking a pre-req class after acceptance and before matriculation is a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thanks everyone!!