Courses During Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do with gap year?

• Work/Research!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Take those pre-reqs!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Relax! You just graduated!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apply for Spring! (Are there programs?)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Forget grad school...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SpeechPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I'm hopefully graduating and receiving my BS but the option for graduate school (at least for this year) fell through for a variety of reasons including rejection. I have an internship during the summer, but after that I would start feeling lost again...
I was considering working for one year OR taking courses (such as prereqs for SLP) since I am just a Biology major with Psych and Linguistics minors with no CSD courses. Where should/could I work that would get me closer to SLP? Or research?
If I choose to take courses locally, I was wondering what courses I should take. What courses are often prereqs for SLP across various programs?

Thanks ahead of time for your helpful advice!
Andhi

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an SLP, but my g/f is pursuing this (that's why I check this every so often) so I'll try to give some answers to the best of my ability and knowledge.

First off, one of the first things I would consider, since you've mentioned that you've applied and been rejected ( :( ), is to call some the schools and see if you can get someone to tell you ways that you can improve your application for the next go around. That may help you better guide which direction you need to go.

If you decide to take courses, many colleges have departments in things such as, Communication Disorders, which may help guide in which courses to pursue during your gap year.