Courses in Progress While Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foomba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title of the thread states, does is look extremely bad if prereq courses are in progress at the time of applying? Is it even worth applying? I am hoping to apply this june, but I will still have microbiology, molecular bio, speech, physics I and II, and biochem left to take. I will be able to finish all these courses before the Fall of 2015 when school would potentially start IF I were to get accepted... but I am concerned because these are core classes. However, while some schools require ALL of those courses, some of the schools I plan on applying to do not, so another question is does having, say, 2-4 prereqs in progress look just as bad? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Many programs expect their undergrads to taken prereqs while applying. It is completely normal. I would to take the most common prereqs you have left during first semester eg: microbio, physics I and possibly molecular. Some schools will count molecular as their gen bio II req if they don't require it separately.

Just as the title of the thread states, does is look extremely bad if prereq courses are in progress at the time of applying? Is it even worth applying? I am hoping to apply this june, but I will still have microbiology, molecular bio, speech, physics I and II, and biochem left to take. I will be able to finish all these courses before the Fall of 2015 when school would potentially start IF I were to get accepted... but I am concerned because these are core classes. However, while some schools require ALL of those courses, some of the schools I plan on applying to do not, so another question is does having, say, 2-4 prereqs in progress look just as bad? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Many programs expect their undergrads to taken prereqs while applying. It is completely normal. I would to take the most common prereqs you have left during first semester eg: microbio, physics I and possibly molecular. Some schools will count molecular as their gen bio II req if they don't require it separately.

I agree with Bmclinn that you should be ok applying with those prereqs being in progress. Also take the PCAT and add that to your PharmCas application as soon as possible. Imho that would help the schools to pick up your application and call you for an interview :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This shouldn't be an issue for you. I was still taking prereqs this semester and none of the schools I applied to had a problem with it. In fact, I applied to a couple that require biochem, which I have not taken, and they were ok with me taking it over the summer before entering pharm school.

This shouldn't be an issue for you. I was still taking prereqs this semester and none of the schools I applied to had a problem with it. In fact, I applied to a couple that require biochem, which I have not taken, and they were ok with me taking it over the summer before entering pharm school.
but wont the program start in the summer? or did you mean take it in the summer of 2014 before you start he program on 2015 ?

but wont the program start in the summer? or did you mean take it in the summer of 2014 before you start he program on 2015 ?
I believe most schools start around August and most summer school programs end then or before then.

you are right,I believe most schools start around August and most summer school programs end then or before then.
JM1IkP

you are right,I believe most schools start around August and most summer school programs end then or before then.
JM1IkP
I believe most schools start around August and most summer school programs end then or before then.

hmmm so I might have a chance to be able to apply to a few more schools, I'll just have to confirm with some schools to see how they'd feel about that, thanks for the info.