courtesy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pootcarr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other night I worked 5-2a. Our usual nocturnist was off and one of the slowest docs in the ED came in at 10 pm to cover. After I leave at 2 he would be the only one in the department until 7 a. This was one of those days where the patient's kept coming in waves no matter what we did. by the time 12:30a rolled around I was trying to see the lower acuity things to help him along, but many complicated cases (but not critical) walked in to be seen during the last hour of my shift and he was seeing about a patient every 30 minutes. I had seen 27 people at this point putting me at 3 per hour, and knowing myself this was my limit. I was exhausted and worked my butt off all shift and I felt there was little more I could do so I stopped picking up new patients, got my charts done and left 30 minutes late.

Should I have stayed and kept seeing patients? I felt that I worked hard all day and shouldn't be "punished" for a doc who moves at a slower pace just because the department is busy. Some patients that were checked in when I left were still there when I woke up to finish some charting the next morning so I doubt me seeing 1-2 more people and keeping myself there hours late would have made much of a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

The other night I worked 5-2a. Our usual nocturnist was off and one of the slowest docs in the ED came in at 10 pm to cover. After I leave at 2 he would be the only one in the department until 7 a. This was one of those days where the patient's kept coming in waves no matter what we did. by the time 12:30a rolled around I was trying to see the lower acuity things to help him along, but many complicated cases (but not critical) walked in to be seen during the last hour of my shift and he was seeing about a patient every 30 minutes. I had seen 27 people at this point putting me at 3 per hour, and knowing myself this was my limit. I was exhausted and worked my butt off all shift and I felt there was little more I could do so I stopped picking up new patients, got my charts done and left 30 minutes late.

Should I have stayed and kept seeing patients? I felt that I worked hard all day and shouldn't be "punished" for a doc who moves at a slower pace just because the department is busy. Some patients that were checked in when I left were still there when I woke up to finish some charting the next morning so I doubt me seeing 1-2 more people and keeping myself there hours late would have made much of a difference.
Tough to answer, because these situations are not flukes, they are the norm many places. Answer would be, "Yes" if a rare occasion and critical patients involved, and (more likely) "No" if a chronic problem due to chronic understaffing by management, chronically slow doctor and non-critical patients involved. Others (administrators mainly) would argue you should always stay late no matter what if busy, but if you do, you're feeding and rewarding a poor staffing model that is certain to burn you out because the ED is always busy, so you can meet their arbitrary metrics goals for non-emergencies. On the other hand, ED contracts have been lost due to refusal to meet such business-centered and non-medical time goals. You can't win.

Your post is EM in a nutshell in many places.

Last edited:
No you should not have stayed. With very rare exceptions you don't stay late just because it's busy. And clearing a couple extra low acuity patients won't make that big a difference in the department flow.

Reactions: 1 user