Cover Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the early phases of interviewing for jobs and such, and there are a few places on my radar that I would like to contact and forward my CV to. When doing so, is it standard to include a cover letter? I've already had a few contacts who have told me "hey, email me a copy of your CV and we'll have you stop by our office next week" and other fairly informal arrangements like that - in those instances, I just emailed my CV sans cover letter.

But for a practice who is unfamiliar with who I am, is a cover letter expected?

And, more importantly I suppose, what sorts of things have you guys included in such letters? I don't want it to sound overly hokey ("Hi I'm JustSomePreMed and I'm originally from _____. I like dermatology and have a specific interest in ______. My wife and I are eager to move to [your area] and I greatly look forward to meeting you and learning more about your practice.")

I apologize for such a potentially rudimentary question, just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a formal cover letter is necessary. I never used one because when you are communicating via email, you end up essentially writing one as your message. I'd say something like you did (except I'd probably remove the line "I like dermatology") and then say, I've attached my CV and hope to have the chance to speak with you soon.