CPA -> MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOLWUT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had 1 year with essentially 1 GPA when I was 18, was a trucker for awhile. Went back to school, 4.0 GPA for a 150-hr CPA program. Where do I go from here? I'm currently 33 and just wanting to make my dreams become reality.

Members don't see this ad.

Well here's the basics to get you started:
A fairly universal set of prerequisite courses in the sciences (Bio, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Physics, often Calculus and Biochem) to prepare you for the first two years of medical school
A truckload (pun intended) of clinical experience - hospital volunteering, physician shadowing, etc. (so they know that they're not wasting a spot that is going to go to waste on someone who is going to bail at the first sight of bodily fluids and solids/semisolids.

You can dive into the AAMC and AACOMAS websites and then hit the websites for various medical schools - get a good idea of the prerequisites. Do a search for "post-bacc" and read up on that. Go to YouTube and see if the scope of the information is interesting to you. Then come back here and search for already existing threads on every topic you cna think of - there's nothing new under the sun.

Enjoy! and good luck. Curious as to why you waited six years to post after starting an account.

Reactions: 1 user
Well here's the basics to get you started:
A fairly universal set of prerequisite courses in the sciences (Bio, Gen Chem, Org Chem, Physics, often Calculus and Biochem) to prepare you for the first two years of medical school
A truckload (pun intended) of clinical experience - hospital volunteering, physician shadowing, etc. (so they know that they're not wasting a spot that is going to go to waste on someone who is going to bail at the first sight of bodily fluids and solids/semisolids.

I have ~7 years of hospital volunteering (thanks Grandma), but have a lot of difficulty with getting a physician to let me shadow them. My university couldn't hook me up apparently, and with my major it seems very... awkward? I don't know. I approached one MD I knew relatively well and he seemed very skeptical.

Enjoy! and good luck. Curious as to why you waited six years to post after starting an account.

Honestly, I didn't believe in myself. I was 2 years into an accounting degree and just felt like that was a more "reasonable" path.

Reactions: 1 user
I have ~7 years of hospital volunteering (thanks Grandma), but have a lot of difficulty with getting a physician to let me shadow them. My university couldn't hook me up apparently, and with my major it seems very... awkward? I don't know. I approached one MD I knew relatively well and he seemed very skeptical.

Honestly, I didn't believe in myself. I was 2 years into an accounting degree and just felt like that was a more "reasonable" path.
You gotta keep pushing. Find someone else. Keep going until you find the right situation. If it's worth it you'll find a way.