CPJE 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHTN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking for insight into the CPJE. At first I thought it was just a California law exam but when I looked more into it, more like another naplex. I heard it's harder or easier than the naplex based on searching old threads via SDN forum.

Is there a new version of the CPJE 2016 that is harder than before? I understand that there is only a few law questions but weighted higher per point average? No calculation?

I plan on reading the rxprep from 2015 and the law PDF file from the CA board website. Also might get the A Guide to California Community Pharmacy Law Eighth Edition + 2015 & 2016 Supplements by Fred G. Weissman, PharmD, JD.

Any input or other suggestion much appreciated. I'm looking to transfer to CA so have a lot of reviewing to do.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't turned in your app to sit for the CPJE yet, I suggest you do that first - the CABOP is notorious for taking the full amount of allotted time to get back to you (e.g. 45 days for the app).

IMO, CPJE is definitely more difficult than Naplex, but in a different way. Naplex tends to have a lot of K-type questions, whereas CPJE offers more straightforward answer choices to harder questions. I took the new CPJE and the difficulty level seemed to be on par with the old one - had about 8 law questions, and maybe 5 calculations? The calculations were really easy, no need to study those.

I didn't have a chance to study that much, but nothing I studied was on the test anyway. The clinical stuff is really random - they test on everything from super obsolete brand names to guideline-based treatments.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. Looking for insight into the CPJE. At first I thought it was just a California law exam but when I looked more into it, more like another naplex. I heard it's harder or easier than the naplex based on searching old threads via SDN forum.

Is there a new version of the CPJE 2016 that is harder than before? I understand that there is only a few law questions but weighted higher per point average? No calculation?

I plan on reading the rxprep from 2015 and the law PDF file from the CA board website. Also might get the A Guide to California Community Pharmacy Law Eighth Edition + 2015 & 2016 Supplements by Fred G. Weissman, PharmD, JD.

Any input or other suggestion much appreciated. I'm looking to transfer to CA so have a lot of reviewing to do.

Hi CPJE definitly harder than Naplex.
what state u transfering from. I am trying to do the same thing. I failed CPJE now trying to take it again

Hi CPJE definitly harder than Naplex.
what state u transfering from. I am trying to do the same thing. I failed CPJE now trying to take it again

Transferring from Virginia. I"m still doing the application. Waiting on the fingerprint cards to arrive and my own board of pharmacy to validate and send me the form back. Never thought it would be so many steps with California.

Guess I gotta start studying more in depth, I was looking at the pass rate and about 1 out of 4 people fail taking it, yikes.

Lucky I'm in no rush to transfer.

Members don't see this ad :)
CPJE doesnt give enough info to make clinical judgement for clinical questions... and they more law question now !!! after the changes... it justhard..

im from NY and i would like to know the new CPJE testing rules?
i heard its 120 quesitiosn now, can i know how many min you get and is it still teh same material?
are there calculations? if so, what type?

does anyone know of any resources for practice tests that will grade you? thanks

Transferring from Virginia. I"m still doing the application. Waiting on the fingerprint cards to arrive and my own board of pharmacy to validate and send me the form back. Never thought it would be so many steps with California.

Guess I gotta start studying more in depth, I was looking at the pass rate and about 1 out of 4 people fail taking it, yikes.

Lucky I'm in no rush to transfer.
hey i also just apply for CPJE...its so many steps and I am also struggling with ID proof beacuse of middle name and Initial for Naplex and MPJE it was very easy in Florida..anyways what you studing for CPJE besides Rxprep?

Hello! I'm taking the CPJE in 3 days. To those who have successfully completed the CPJE (and passed): any pointers? I'm sweating buckets and am deathly afraid of my brain farts.

CPJE doesnt give enough info to make clinical judgement for clinical questions... and they more law question now !!! after the changes... it justhard..
Hi I am retaking the CPJE exam and would like to study together, please let me know if you want to study together as soon as you see this. My phone number is 3129197712 give me a text or call!

hey i also just apply for CPJE...its so many steps and I am also struggling with ID proof beacuse of middle name and Initial for Naplex and MPJE it was very easy in Florida..anyways what you studing for CPJE besides Rxprep?
I am looking for a study partner for CPJE exam please give me a call or text my number is 3129197712

im from NY and i would like to know the new CPJE testing rules?
i heard its 120 quesitiosn now, can i know how many min you get and is it still teh same material?
are there calculations? if so, what type?

does anyone know of any resources for practice tests that will grade you? thanks

Hi I am retaking the CPJE exam and would like to study together, please let me know if you want to study together as soon as you see this. My phone number is 3129197712 give me a text or call!

If you haven't turned in your app to sit for the CPJE yet, I suggest you do that first - the CABOP is notorious for taking the full amount of allotted time to get back to you (e.g. 45 days for the app).

IMO, CPJE is definitely more difficult than Naplex, but in a different way. Naplex tends to have a lot of K-type questions, whereas CPJE offers more straightforward answer choices to harder questions. I took the new CPJE and the difficulty level seemed to be on par with the old one - had about 8 law questions, and maybe 5 calculations? The calculations were really easy, no need to study those.

I didn't have a chance to study that much, but nothing I studied was on the test anyway. The clinical stuff is really random - they test on everything from super obsolete brand names to guideline-based treatments.

I'm a pharmacist in NY and recently took the CPJE. I studied the same materials as the OP but also found some old CPJE notes here on the forums that were just a summary of weissmans and a collection of what suspensions should/should not be refrigerated.

As far as studying for it, I agree completely with mfdoom. It's nearly impossible to study for the CPJE. you can try to prepare yourself for the law portion but there's really nothing you can do to prepare for the clinical. They are all VERY pinpointed questions and very difficult to choose an answer. You might be able to narrow it down to 2 answers, but choosing between the two you'll be pulling hairs out. I think that this exam would be easier for those with a good mix of hospital and retail pharmacy experience under their belts.

Even after taking it, if I had failed, I don't know what to study... study as you would for the naplex for the clinical portion, get weissman's for the law, and then pray to God you pass!