CPJE Exam scores not released until August!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brasilia01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is California so screwed up? Now the California BOP is doing an exam review as of April 1st and will not release any CPJE scores until August! Do these people live in the real world?? I have student loans to pay off and can't go without work. I can't believe that it takes over 6 months to get licensed in this state. This is so ridiculous!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just took mine today and was wondering how many can you miss to pass? I know there are different versions of the test, with varying levels of difficulty.

But reading from the board website, you do NOT need to get 75% to pass. So technically, if you score above 75%, you should pass right? However, you can score less and pass if your test is harder?

I'm just wondering because I read a few on this board saying they miss 12 or so and they fail or something like that? How is that possible?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone really knows how the board grades the test. I thought my test was difficult, and I likely missed more than 12.

doubleh, can you give us a few pointers (eventhough they have been mentioned before) on what to pay attention to, look out for in preparing for the test?

doubleh, can you give us a few pointers (eventhough they have been mentioned before) on what to pay attention to, look out for in preparing for the test?

it's much more specific than naplex that's for sure. i had 3 onc questions, and they weren't basic ones either like some have said. Know IV compatability (2 questions), storage/expiration dates, not a lot of law (like 4-5 max), and zero recycled questions for me (i heard they recycle at least a few from the booklet); lots of OTC, and lots of interpreting prescriptions.

it was a very tough test for me personally, especially the first 20-30 questions or so.

i got the ebay thing, and i have to say, that the study guide is so awesome its not even funny. It will dramatacilly reduce my studying time. I am not gonna write much anymore on the forum, because for the next few months i am going to focus on studying. After I take the test and after i know that i have passed, i will post exactly how i studied for it, and the rest of the shabang. Good luck everyone.

Has anyone heard anything about the exam results? Any idea if the Board would update their site before they send out the results? August cannot come soon enough....:scared:

The wait is killing, the future is a big question mark. What if we fail after a wait of 5 months? where would we stand at that point of time? There is no news from board of pharmacy after 15th may. Less than 100 candidates had taken exam up to that date according to board's website. I cannot even describe what I will be going through until I get my result..

The wait is killing, the future is a big question mark. What if we fail after a wait of 5 months? where would we stand at that point of time? There is no news from board of pharmacy after 15th may. Less than 100 candidates had taken exam up to that date according to board's website. I cannot even describe what I will be going through until I get my result..

The board has updated their website and now 300 have taken the cpje. Ok the anticipation is killing me ....100 more to go!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The board has updated their website and now 300 have taken the cpje. Ok the anticipation is killing me ....100 more to go!!

Suddenly 300 have taken cpje? And today I checked board's website, there is no mention of review! Does this means that review is over and 400 have taken exam? But how come so quick this happened?

Hey, where did you see the 300 number? I only see the "release_of_scores" pdf and that doesn't have numbers in it.

Suddenly 300 have taken cpje? And today I checked board's website, there is no mention of review! Does this means that review is over and 400 have taken exam? But how come so quick this happened?

Considering 1300+ people take the CPJE every year, and June / July are peak test-taking times. It's not a surprise that they already have 400 test takers from April 1 to July 1 (3 months).

Ok folks, I found the original link to the PDF file in Google's webpage cache (love you Google). Here it is:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/cpje_score_delay.pdf

But within a day, they removed this score delay PDF with the release of scores PDF, so maybe they were mistaken and already have 400?

*Edit: I believe the 300 PDF was a mistake. If you look at the cached Google page, it says "This is Google's cache of http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/naplex_info.shtml. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Jun 30, 2011 19:51:43 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more"

However, the Board's website says:

Release of Exam Results - Updated 5/15/11 (PDF)

This doesn't make much sense.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Last edited:
Hey, where did you see the 300 number? I only see the "release_of_scores" pdf and that doesn't have numbers in it.

Considering 1300+ people take the CPJE every year, and June / July are peak test-taking times. It's not a surprise that they already have 400 test takers from April 1 to July 1 (3 months).

Ok folks, I found the original link to the PDF file in Google's webpage cache (love you Google). Here it is:

But within a day, they removed this score delay PDF with the release of scores PDF, so maybe they were mistaken and already have 400?

*Edit: I believe the 300 PDF was a mistake. If you look at the cached Google page, it says "This is Google's cache of http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/naplex_info.shtml. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Jun 30, 2011 19:51:43 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more"

However, the Board's website says:

Release of Exam Results - Updated 5/15/11 (PDF)

This doesn't make much sense.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Hereis the link where I found the 300 number....

So we are almost there. Keeping my fingers crossed. I am so nervous.

Hereis the link where I found the 300 number....

So we are almost there. Keeping my fingers crossed. I am so nervous.

Where are you pulling this link from? I've searched all over the board's site and all I found was how they are releasing the scores and did not mention anything about how many people have taken the exam so far. ( http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/applicants/release_of_scores.pdf ) So are they releasing the results??? I'm so confused and I wish someone from the office would answer the phone. They are messing with people's lives! This will determine whether or not to take a job in Illinois or California.

Got my score and passed with 89. And I'm sure I missed around 20 questions. So again, I think it is scaled, u can miss a lot just like with naplex!

Good luck for those still waiting!

Got my score and passed with 89. And I'm sure I missed around 20 questions. So again, I think it is scaled, u can miss a lot just like with naplex!

Hey, what region are you from? Hopefully I get mine tomorrow :)

Congrats!! Well done. Could u please share what books/study materials u used for the exam.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I think my best advice for those who haven't taken it is this:

1) expect to miss questions, and miss a lot of them. I think I got a harder version, but still, I know for sure I missed 20 questions (a lot of them may have been the test questions). I didn't know this before so I was very worried after the test. But I've talked to a few people who said they guesstimate around 65% correct and still pass, so that eased my worries

From my experience, I think 65% correct is good enough to pass, or even less depending on the difficulty of the test.

2) APHA/Weismann are sufficient to pass, as I only used those.

doublehh03, looking at your past posts, it seems like you graduated from ucsf? Did ucsf offer a review for the board?

Congratz to doublehh03 and thank you for your advise.

I have been studying with RXprep and weissman since may and I am finally taking this exam in three days....so scared and feel like I am going to fail already.
If I had another month to study, I'd be more confident but I know I am going to feel the same again when it is time to take it.

Did anyone pass CPJE with just studying rxprep and weissman???
Do you think I need another resource?? I am so nervous now as it is approaching to the exam date. I am seriously thinking again if I should put off taking this exam to either in late july or august.

Last edited:
Congratz to doublehh03 and thank you for your advise.

I have been studying with RXnaplex and weissman since may and I am finally taking this exam in three days....so scared and feel like I am going to fail already.
If I had another month to study, I'd be more confident but I know I am going to feel the same again when it is time to take it.

Did anyone pass CPJE with just studying rxnaplex and weissman???
Do you think I need another resource?? I am so nervous now as it is approaching to the exam date. I am seriously thinking again if I should put off taking this exam to either in late july or august.

I delayed my CPJE twice b/c I felt the same way. And honestly, I don't know if I would know more b/c some questions they ask you simply need work experience or just simply don't know (some drugs that aren't even mentioned in APHA).

A lot of my classmates simply used RXPREP and weismann and from what I know, they passed.

Another advice is the CPJE, from my experience, can give you a sense afterwards that you "did well." It can appear to be a very easy test compared to the naplex. So be aware as you are taking the test that you read the question very carefully.

Also, another QA will be started most likely 8/1. If you delay your test again, you may have to wait 2+ months for your results. I advise you take it before the last few days of July.

EDIT: some more advise for future test takers
-know patient counseling very well (storage, food/without food, OTCs)
-know drug indications very well
-know common vaccinations very well (for some odd reason, my test had like 5 or 6)
-know how to read prescriptions (even if you don't know a drug's dose or frequence, read the quantity and see if it makes sense in terms of day supply, and that helped me out a few times)
-had oncology, and they weren't basic either. I know onc rarely comes up, but just a heads up
-know renal/hepatic adjustments REALLY WELL (i had like 4 questions on that, and always narrowed down to 2, and damn they were so hard LOL)
-know dosage forms
-only had 4-5 law questions, and most were covered in the Weismann; one wasn't though--I found out that it was covered in the law book PDF on the board's website afterwards.
-disposal of medications
-zero pharmacology (APHA covers this a lot, but pharmacology was only tested on NAPLEX)

***another advice is the packet they gave, their types of questions are "longer" and had more law. From my and my classmates' experience, questions on the actual CPJE are short and concise, with little law. Furthermore, ZERO recycled questions on my test.

GL. And again, it's natural to worry afterwards b/c the test decides whether you are licensed or not. It took me 2-3 days to get over worrying about the test, and it helped that I had work, and had good family/friend support.

You guys will do great.

Last edited:
Woot! I passed with an 84.

I got a white envelope, not green, but there were green pages in the back of the envelope. I mailed out my license request already.

For those of you using RXPREP, make sure you study the material in DETAIL. It's not enough just to know the big picture / main doses, etc. You at least need to know patient education / contraindications / BBWs for all the bold / underlined drugs. I did a lot of lucky guessing on the test and got an 84, so if I had a bad day, it would easily have been in the high 70s (or maybe even failing).

** Did anyone else get the green letter that says "We are still awaiting your background check from the Department of Justice"?

congrats powertold and doublehhs

can u guys tell me when did u take cpje? I took on 19th may, still not got results. Did u check for your license no. on board's website?

can u guys tell me when did u take cpje? I took on 19th may, still not got results. Did u check for your license no. on board's website?

I took mine on June 21, and you have to fill out another application to get licensed. I sent that application in today, so it'll be ~10 business days before I show up online.

I took mine on June 21, and you have to fill out another application to get licensed. I sent that application in today, so it'll be ~10 business days before I show up online.

Hey what part of the state do you live and what testing center did you test? I'm on pins and needles because I was just offered a job in Chicago and have to let them know of my decision on Monday. I was hoping to know if I passed so I could decided whether or not to take the job.Thanks!

i'm from socal, and took mine on 6/22. fortunately, i was near the end of the QA so getting my score around 2 weeks.

i think scores were sent out 7/5, as my classmates up north got it on 7/6.

u guys should be getting it by today or tomorrow max if ur in california.

got my cpje results and......I passed !!!!!!!!!!! I took the exams on june 4th... good luck to all ,, finally going to be rph ...thanks to all ....

Last edited:
i took cpje mid-june. has anybody receive there exam score yet? any updates on when it will be released?

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!! I am so friggin happy I can't see straight. Thanks to all who have helped get me through this test! For all those who are still waiting...good luck! I took the CPJE on June 9th at Anaheim. I'm not sure when the letter came because my blind grandma put it somewhere by accident. Luckily my brother found it before I took a job out of state.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!! I am so friggin happy I can't see straight. Thanks to all who have helped get me through this test! For all those who are still waiting...good luck! I took the CPJE on June 9th at Anaheim. I'm not sure when the letter came because my blind grandma put it somewhere by accident. Luckily my brother found it before I took a job out of state.

I thank God that after a long and laborious journey, I am a pharmacist. I thought I couldn't make it in the CPJE but I did. Got a score of 80 which is not bad. God is so good! Thanks a lot for all the inputs, ideas and comments on this forum. They sure helped a lot. To those who are still in their journey, keep on. The victory will be yours if you continue to be patient and persevere . Above all, never forget to put your trust and confidence in God who will make you pass through successfully.

I just took CPJE exam this morning and I am so happy it is over (at least for a while until I get the result). I can't tell if I am going to pass for sure since I guessed almost 30+ questions out of 90.

Thank you doublehh03 for your exam tips. They were very helpful.

If I fail this exam, I might have to pack up and leave my current place.
God, please help me~~~~:xf:

I just took CPJE exam this morning and I am so happy it is over (at least for a while until I get the result). I can't tell if I am going to pass for sure since I guessed almost 30+ questions out of 90.

Thank you doublehh03 for your exam tips. They were very helpful.

If I fail this exam, I might have to pack up and leave my current place.
God, please help me~~~~:xf:

bleutini, any advice?

I passed CPJE with flying colors (score: 88). Just cant believe this!!!

to all those who feel disappointed after taking CPJE: you might only think about few questions that you have answered wrong, thats what I have also done for the past 2 months.....but that is not the entire exam!! those might not even counted towards the final score!

All the very best to those who are taking CPJE or waiting for score.

Thanks to all the members who have helped me during preparation and provided encouragement.

cant wait to get license now..:thumbup:

Rogapal, durgae, brasilia do you mind giving your input on the type of questions and how to prepare for the exam? Thank You, and congratulations! I will take mine around October/November time.

Have to take the cpje again and am thinking of taking either of the 2 courses ie rxprep online or passnaplexnow. Any feed back will be appreciated.... which one is geared more towards CPJE? Any advice would be appreciated.

Congrats to all those who passed.

Thanks

If it makes anyone feels better about the delay of the test results. They took almost ten months to send me my license. They sent my license and results to the address.

When I brought up the issue with them at one of the meetings. They just shooked their shoulder and said, "we are sorry." Ten months!

Also, another QA will be started most likely 8/1. If you delay your test again, you may have to wait 2+ months for your results. I advise you take it before the last few days of July.

doublehh03, how did you find out this information? Why would the board do two Quality Assurance periods so close together? You make me feel like I need to move my test date from August into July to escape their wrath.

Thanks for any elaboration.

doublehh03, how did you find out this information? Why would the board do two Quality Assurance periods so close together? You make me feel like I need to move my test date from August into July to escape their wrath.

Thanks for any elaboration.

From the last 3 years, they have 3 QAs a year. April 1, August 1, and December 1.

Hi ,Now board is releasing cpje scores.so how long they will release cpje scores.can we take the test before they stop releasing scores to get result fast.Anybody Please let me know.