CPJE Exam scores not released until August!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brasilia01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is California so screwed up? Now the California BOP is doing an exam review as of April 1st and will not release any CPJE scores until August! Do these people live in the real world?? I have student loans to pay off and can't go without work. I can't believe that it takes over 6 months to get licensed in this state. This is so ridiculous!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok just to be thorough:

#1) Were there any calculation based questions like powder volume, compounding,percentage w/v etc...?
#2) How much HIV/Oncology was there?

There will be some questions which will require calculations, but none of which that would require extensive review. I had just taken the CPJE and I had initially taken the NAPLEX almost 3.5 years ago when I graduated and I did not study any calculations in my preparation for the CPJE. Make sure you have a good grasp of the HIV meds and whats unique about each one

Best of luck

Last edited:
Any out-of-state pharmacists planning to take the CPJE? How long did it take you to get your ATT?

I appied in early August, but had an issue with getting license verification from one of two states that I am currently licensed in. I got my ATT in late October. (So I guess maybe a month and a half if you get all your stuff straight the first time around)

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be some questions which will require calculations, but none of which that would require extensive review. I had just taken the CPJE and I had initially taken the NAPLEX almost 3.5 years ago when I graduated and I did not study any calculations in my preparation for the CPJE. Make sure you have a good grasp of the HIV meds and whats unique about each one

Best of luck

Can you tell us what study material did you use for the CPJE? Thx!

Looks like the Board is releasing exam results as of 01/04/12-- anyone who has gotten results recently please share when you took the exam!! I've been waiting...:scared:

i am taking mine on march 10th in san diego, CA. Is anyone taking the CPJE on that date in san diego? I got rxprep, wiessman, pronto pass, and the ebay book/chart, i think it should be plenty of studying materials

Does it help if you are already a practicing pharmacist in another state to take the CPJE? Im feeling nautious from studying and growing anxiety. I fly to san diego friday march 9th (arrive in midnight ugh) then i have to be at the testing center at 830am march 10th.

So my application expires on march 21st 2012, so i have to take the test before that (which i will be doing on march 10th) if i fail, will i still be able to take the exam over again AFTER the expiration date?

Why do you have to fly to San Diego to take the test? I know they don't have that many test sites, but that seems far. I had to drive 4.5 hours to take my test.

You will not be able to retake the test if you failed. You will have to turn in another application since it is only good for 1 year.

I can't believe I passed because I didn't even have the law book, didn't even do the questions that PSI sent me, didn't even finish the Rxprep book. I definitely don't recommend people doing this. It definitely helps if you've been a practicing pharmacist. The questions are very specific. Either you know it or you don't.

I took it march 10th, when will i get my results and how can i know that i passed? Will they send me a letter or i can check online?

Edit: never mind, i will get it in the mail within 30 days unless they do a QA. :-/

To those who emailed me, here is my brief experience:

Eventhough i have myself to blame for not passing, i have to give it to California BOP for raping candidates wallets:

$200 for initial application
$100+ dollars for NAPLEX score transfer
$400 to go to California to do Livescan fingerprint
$70 for livescan fingerprint
$37 for taking the exam
$500 for going to california to take the exam (flight + rent car + hotel)
$200 dollars for retake application fee
$500+ to go back to take the exam
$37 to retake the test.

The tests wording was absolute garbage, i dont know who writes these questions up, but they are designed to trick you even though the questions were striaght forward. However, due to me being jet lagged, with only 5 hours of sleep, and taking the test early in the morning, i was probably not at my full potential with clear head to take the exam. On top of a lot of personal things going on in my life. I will talk more about the general content of the exam later...I am just so pissed right now. Screw you California BOP, and your bull**** QA on top of that

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of the content of the exam:

The questions were pretty much straight forward, i didnt think they were that difficuilt but just the wording of the questions was just so awful. When you narrow the choices down to 2, you are in conflict of yourself on what is really the best answer. You have no clue if you really got it right or not until after you take the exam. When you find out the correct answer, you just cant believe why they would ask such a question narrowing down to the most nit picky detail about a particular drug, and to add on top of that: wtf were they really asking? You have to sort of 'infer' on things because they dont give you complete information on the context of the question (hence it being 'straightforward'.) I dont even know how to go about studying for the law, some questions were straight forward (reflecting chapter 15 of wiessman book), some were scenerio based questions and you have to use your judgement in which the wiessman book is absolutley worthless. I would describe CPJE as the most random test in the world. You have no clue what type of questions or the frequency of questions you are going to get. I had only 2 HIV questions, maybe 1 oncology question. If there are people here who have been practicing pharmacists for several years (me), or with people with high NAPLEX scores but who fail CPJE, then there is something obviously very wrong with the overall content of the exam.

Yes its passible, and it feels easier than NAPLEX, but its tricky and you have to pay very careful attention to the questions, and what its asking, and have all your bases covered inorder to narrow down to the best single choice (or a choice that allows you to pick more than one answer ex: choice c: choice a and choice b). The test does force you to think, but at the same time one of the biggest flaws of the test is that it might make the test taker overthink things making you pick the wrong answer. Hence you have to find a balance.

If people are comming out with a nasty feeling that they 'failed' the test or had to 'guess' on several questions, then i really question whether these QA's or these ******ed people who make these test questions has any merrit on the content of the exam..

more on the content of the exam later...

i took the cpje last april 20, 2012....i found out about the QA day before i took the test...question??? why does the CA BOP need to do QA's several times a year?
why does it take them soooo long to finish QA & start releasing the results? :confused::confused: 3 months for QA???:scared:
unfortunately April test takers are stuck...we are at the mercy of CA BOP...there is nothing we could do....no use getting mad, no use being frustrated...let us just face it...this sucks...big time!

Did u take it recently? I am planning to retake it and I am worried about the syllabus change. If you just did, can you specify the ratio of changes in terms of calc etc. On top of that one has to wait till August, I agree with you it is totally whack!!!
Hey brasilia,
My results are stuck on this last ridiculous QA (APRIL 2012) according to your experience when did u have your score released last year? Thanks

Hey brasilia,
My results are stuck on this last ridiculous QA (APRIL 2012) according to your experience when did u have your score released last year? Thanks

Last year, the score was released in late July or August then the board had another Q/A!

Yo any RPhs licensed last year get their wall license yet? It's been like 7 months and still no expensive toilet paper in the mail...

Yo any RPhs licensed last year get their wall license yet? It's been like 7 months and still no expensive toilet paper in the mail...

Anyone had experienced applying for a job at LA county? It says you need a license. Is a license number good enough or do you need the actual physical license?

Is anybody planning to read the "health notes" on the board's website? How important is this?

It kind of looks like the April QA is over....the notice was taken off of the State Board website! But when I call I can't get a straight answer if they are in the process of sending out scores. Have any CPJE test takers received scores since April? I would REALLY appreciate any info!!! Thank you !!

Hi Pharmd1542! i took the cpje last april...still haven't got my results yet...
i know they have lifted the notice of QA in the website...so i suppose qa is over & we should be getting
our results soon...
let me know if you gor yours already...thanks!

has anyone taken the cpje in may and got their results? i read a couple of people who took it in april already got their results. please advise!

Took it Tuesday 7/10
Results postmarked Friday 7/13
Received Monday 7/16
Overnighted green form Tuesday 7/17

I'd like to think that I'm lucky, but I suspect the reality is that the April QA's finally over :laugh:

Study materials:

• Practice questions in the study packet provided by the board
  • Thoroughly read Weissman + supplemental
  • Spot-skimmed RxPrep on weak areas
  • Didn't have time for anything else since I only had 8 days to study mainly due to professional commitments and schedule restrictions
Of note, there were a few judgement questions on the exam, which tend to be easier with experience. Being a practicing pharmacist has probably helped.

Here's the rest of my license-transfer timeline for the curious-minded:

• 4/3 - Requested transcript/license verifications
  • 4/17 - Completed fingerprint cards/passport photos & completed NABP app
  • 4/21 - Overnighted completed CA license app as soon as license verifications received
  • 4/30 - Deficiency letter on transcript/re-requested transcript from school
  • 5/17 - CA BOP approval to take CPJE
  • 7/10 - CPJE
  • 7/13 - Results postmarked
Total Cost: $1253.20 (no airfare included as CPJE was luckily offered in my state)

Last edited:
Took it Tuesday 7/10
Results postmarked Friday 7/13
Received Monday 7/16
Overnighted green form Tuesday 7/17

I'd like to think that I'm lucky, but I suspect the reality is that the April QA's finally over :laugh:

Study materials:

• Practice questions in the study packet provided by the board
  • Thoroughly read Weissman + supplemental
  • Spot-skimmed RxPrep on weak areas
  • Didn't have time for anything else since I only had 8 days to study mainly due to professional commitments and schedule restrictions
Of note, there were a few judgement questions on the exam, which tend to be easier with experience. Being a practicing pharmacist has probably helped.

Here's the rest of my license-transfer timeline for the curious-minded:

• 4/3 - Requested transcript/license verifications
  • 4/17 - Completed fingerprint cards/passport photos & completed NABP app
  • 4/21 - Overnighted completed CA license app as soon as license verifications received
  • 4/30 - Deficiency letter on transcript/re-requested transcript from school
  • 5/17 - CA BOP approval to take CPJE
  • 7/10 - CPJE
  • 7/13 - Results postmarked
Total Cost: $1253.20 (no airfare included as CPJE was luckily offered in my state)

Wow it took only 6 days for you to get your results? that's amazing! Could you let us know how long it will take you to get licensed after you send in your check for licensing? Thanks!! and Congrats!

Just giving back to SDN and my CPJE post-thoughts.

You don't need to study like there is no tomorrow and you don't need to block the whole world off. Set a study plan & be serious about it & stick with a source such as RxPrep and the key is to know details well. I recommend RxPrep because it highlights most important details that is relevant to the practising pharmacist whereas APhA, in my opinion, doesn't do much of this.

Know your Top 200 drugs including frequency, dosing, patient consultation points/ what drugs should have certain auxiliary labellings, brand & generic, side effects, black box warnings, refrigerate or no refrigerate, with or without food, and common indications. As for the law, know the Weissman book well to cover your base but keep in mind, some law questions on the CPJE can be scenario base questions asking for your decision-making skill so therefore not every law question is covered in the Weissman book.

Be positive and confident in your ability that although the CPJE can be random in their questions and can be a relatively hard exam -- keep in mind that all in the end, there are 15 questions that DON'T COUNT and the majority of the exam is testing for minimal competency.

It is designed for a new entry-level pharmacist so a passing score is attainable! You can do it! :thumbup:

dosing and frequency and also side effects are so much...i dont really know how to approach them. i read them and try memorize them i just hope i retained the information.

Wow it took only 6 days for you to get your results? that's amazing! Could you let us know how long it will take you to get licensed after you send in your check for licensing? Thanks!! and Congrats!

Thanks!

Also, this reply is only a year late... so sorry--but for sake of completeness:
My license was issued on 7/25; just a little over a week after my green form was "overnighted."

Do you need to know calculations for the CPJE? Licensed in another state and applied for CA licensure. Just don't want to waste time reviewing calculations if I don't need to.

Honestly in my humble opinion, I wouldn't spend too much time reviewing calculations. The calculations that I encountered on the CPJE were fairly straight forward and if I recall correctly, generally easier than the NAPLEX.

The only area in which I reviewed by completing a handful of practice problems was percent weight-in-volume; as it's not as intuitive to me as the other calculation topics.

does anybody have any California law lecture notes in pdf or powerpoint format from californias schools of pharmacy?