CPJE tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dysic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the math on CPJE compared to the Naplex? Also, is the therapeutics on the exam just as "random" as the Naplex...pretty much anything can be on the exam? Or should I focus on major disease states?

I focused on major disease states for Naplex but I really didn't get that many questions on HTN, DM, HLD, asthma, etc. It was pretty random.

Finally, besides law...is there anything in addition to prepare for (apart from Naplex therapeutic knowledge)? I heard there wasn't that many law questions on the CPJE.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about math in CPJE, however I did get a lot of law. So it just depends on the version of your exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the CPJE. Only a couple calculations...all of them very simple.

Any suggestions on how to prepare for the Quality assurance part of the CPJE?

I think those questions are mostly common sense. You can't really prepare for those questions. For me, I have Dr. Fred Weissman's law notes...and I just went through the Quality Assurance section once...and that's all I think I could have done to prepare for those questions.

12. A technician has prepared a 16-oz bulk supply of
spironolactone suspension 1 mg/mL to be packaged
into 5 mg/5 mL oral syringes for future dispensing.
The pharmacist checking this preparation should
ensure that the records include which of the
following?
1. manufacturer's lot number
2. date the product is dispensed
3. package size and number of syringes
prepared
4. formula for the suspension
A. 1 and 3 only
B. 2 and 4 only
C. 1, 2, and 3 only
D. 1, 3, and 4 only

how are we supposed to study for questions like this for the CPJE?

where did u get this question from?

12. A technician has prepared a 16-oz bulk supply of
spironolactone suspension 1 mg/mL to be packaged
into 5 mg/5 mL oral syringes for future dispensing.
The pharmacist checking this preparation should
ensure that the records include which of the
following?
1. manufacturer's lot number
2. date the product is dispensed
3. package size and number of syringes
prepared
4. formula for the suspension
A. 1 and 3 only
B. 2 and 4 only
C. 1, 2, and 3 only
D. 1, 3, and 4 only

how are we supposed to study for questions like this for the CPJE?

Where are you getting this question from, but to answer your question it is a applied law questions according to repackaging by the pharmacy: drug are repackage (pre-counted or poured) in quantities suitable for dispensing such that it must follow CGMP and drugs are properly labeled with at least the following: name, strength, dosage form, manufacturer's name, lot number, exp date, quantity per repackaged unit, and a log maintained for drug pre-package for future dispensing.-all in he law book but I am using RxPrep Law summary

Where are you getting this question from, but to answer your question it is a applied law questions according to repackaging by the pharmacy: drug are repackage (pre-counted or poured) in quantities suitable for dispensing such that it must follow CGMP and drugs are properly labeled with at least the following: name, strength, dosage form, manufacturer's name, lot number, exp date, quantity per repackaged unit, and a log maintained for drug pre-package for future dispensing.-all in he law book but I am using RxPrep Law summary

the correct answer is 1, 3, and 4 (D)...seems like its a compounding question, not repackaging. With your explanation of repackaging, (A) would be the correct answer. I'm not sure ....and my test is tomorrow :scared:

Last edited:

I agree...this sounds like a law question.

Members don't see this ad :)
the correct answer is 1, 3, and 4 (D)...seems like its a compounding question, not repackaging. With your explanation of repackaging, (A) would be the correct answer. I'm not sure ....and my test is tomorrow :scared:

Its not option 2 because it says for future dispensing so it hasn't been dispensed yet, therefore you would not be able to have a date.. That is how I interpreted this but I could be off.

Hey! How did your exam go? I hope you rocked it! Any tips?

Hey! How did your exam go? I hope you rocked it! Any tips?

Horrible. It was very hard....at least for me. It was very simple and straight forward (as in most of the questions are 1-3 sentences asking you something, pretty direct.) There were long questions too. Just waiting for the result now.

I would have taken it on 7/31 to get some more time to study, but that's too risky because if they were to start QA on 8/1, it would start on the full week, which starts on 7/29 (my assumption).

Horrible. It was very hard....at least for me. It was very simple and straight forward (as in most of the questions are 1-3 sentences asking you something, pretty direct.) There were long questions too. Just waiting for the result now.

I would have taken it on 7/31 to get some more time to study, but that's too risky because if they were to start QA on 8/1, it would start on the full week, which starts on 7/29 (my assumption).

Hahah don't jinx us!! Some of us are taking it this week and for obvious reasons don't want to be stuck in the QA period. Nah, I think we're safe. Last year it started 8/2...it was mid week too.

I took NAPLEX on 7/18 and got my score a week later. Passed! Took CPJE 7/27, and hoping I don't get stuck in the QA. I thought difficulty was similar to NAPLEX, just more clinically focused and less case-based. Calcs were easy. However, it does sound like the bar is set higher for passing compared to NAPLEX. Hopefully I'll get the green light for licensure and get it soon!

How do you guys find out when the QA starts, I postponed my CPJE to August 3rd. I wasn't able to study last couple of days probably because of Postnaplex depression.
Am I going to get stuck in QA and does it really take 3 months for results to come back.

How do you guys find out when the QA starts, I postponed my CPJE to August 3rd. I wasn't able to study last couple of days probably because of Postnaplex depression.
Am I going to get stuck in QA and does it really take 3 months for results to come back.

BOP will post a notification announcing a delay in CPJE score results after QA started. You don't know if you'll be stuck in QA until then, but from past years it seems like they have it in April, August, and December... doesn't have to take 3 months, just takes however long it takes to get 400 people to take the test and then some, but the prediction they had on the last notification said if you took it April 1+, expect it in May/June.

hey guys

when you get a fax transmission from a prescriber's office, do you need to reduce it to writing, then file that rx, or can you treat the facsile can serve office record?

non controlled or controlled the same or difference?

Hahah don't jinx us!! Some of us are taking it this week and for obvious reasons don't want to be stuck in the QA period. Nah, I think we're safe. Last year it started 8/2...it was mid week too.

i think we re good as long as we take it before august. april, dec, august....no other months.

noncontrolled rx, you can just use the fax as prescription, and can't for controlled substance. That's my assumption and what I see in the pharmacy

omg it sucked!!!!!!!!! it was so random :(... i wish they would just tell you the result right a way im so freaking depressed after taking that. :(

noncontrolled rx, you can just use the fax as prescription, and can't for controlled substance. That's my assumption and what I see in the pharmacy

I thought C III - V can be faxed only if the prescriber manually signs the rx ? Can anyone verify this or am I incorrect?

This is what I got from CA State Board of Pharmacy website as of today July 30th 2013:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/prescribe_dispense.shtml
Can a prescriber electronically transmit a Schedule III through V controlled substance prescription from a computer or personal digital assistant (PDA) to a pharmacy's computer or fax machine?

Yes. Advice from the Drug Enforcement Administration in a letter from Patricia M. Good, Chief of the Liaison and Policy Section, Office of Diversion Control for the U.S. Department of Justice dated September 28, 2001, states that current DEA regulations allow for Schedule III, IV, or V controlled substances that are electronically created or transmitted, which includes PDA's, either directly to a computer or via facsimile machine, be treated as an oral prescription. This means the prescription must be reduced to hard copy form by the pharmacist and retained for at least three years. Additionally, a pharmacist that receives an electronically transmitted prescription via facsimile, or other methods, must ensure the validity of the prescription prior to dispensing the controlled substance (Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations section 1306.21

ORAL AND FAXED PRESCRIPTIONS

Can a prescriber call in or send a fax prescription for Schedule III – V controlled substances?

Yes. For prescriptions called in to the pharmacist, the pharmacist must reduce the prescription to hard copy form using a form of the pharmacy's own design, and sign and date the prescription in ink. For faxed prescriptions, the pharmacist must produce the prescription in hard copy form, and sign and date the prescription in ink.

Note: One of the security features on the new tamper-resistant prescription forms will print "void" across the face of the security prescription when faxed or copied, prescribers are encouraged to use a regular prescription form when faxing prescriptions.

C II can also be faxed as well in special circumstances:

Can a licensed skilled nursing facility, licensed intermediate care facility, licensed home health agency, or licensed hospice call in or fax a Schedule II controlled substance order for a patient? What if the patient is being discharged and wants to pick up the prescription on the way home at the pharmacy?

An order for a Schedule II controlled substance for a patient of a licensed skilled nursing facility, licensed intermediate care facility, licensed home health agency, or a licensed hospice can be phoned in or faxed pursuant to Health and Safety Code section 11167.5. Phoned in orders must be reduced to hard copy and signed and dated by the pharmacist. Faxed orders must be produced in hard copy form, and signed and dated by the pharmacist. The prescription must include the signature of the person receiving the controlled substance prescription on behalf of the facility. The facility must forward a copy of any signed telephone orders, chart orders, or related documentation to the pharmacist. Discharged patients receive a written prescription as outpatients; therefore, the prescription must be written on the new tamper-resistant security prescription form or the triplicate form from July 1, 2004 through December 31, 2004. After January 1, 2005, the order must be written on the new tamperresistant security prescription form.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying, it means we can receive the control RX and just reduce to writing and that will be a new rx for control meds.

I thought C III - V can be faxed only if the prescriber manually signs the rx ? Can anyone verify this or am I incorrect?

Allow me to share my understanding:
Reference: Checked on 03-09-2014:

Exact quote is below, no change at all:
START OF QUOTE: ++++++++++++
"Can a prescriber electronically transmit a Schedule III through V controlled substance prescription from a computer or personal digital assistant (PDA) to a pharmacy’s computer or fax machine?
Yes. Advice from the Drug Enforcement Administration in a letter from Patricia M. Good, Chief of the Liaison and Policy Section, Office of Diversion Control for the U.S. Department of Justice dated September 28, 2001, states that current DEA regulations allow for Schedule III, IV, or V controlled substances that are electronically created or transmitted, which includes PDA’s, either directly to a computer or via facsimile machine, be treated as an oral prescription. This means the prescription must be reduced to hard copy form by the pharmacist and retained for at least three years. Additionally, a pharmacist that receives an electronically transmitted prescription via facsimile, or other methods, must ensure the validity of the prescription prior to dispensing the controlled substance (Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations section 1306.21). Electronically transmitted prescriptions, including those sent via PDA, must contain an electronic signature of the prescriber."
++++++++++++ END OF QUOTE.
Exact quote is above, no change at all.

From the quote: I would like to bring your attention to these sentences:

"DEA regulations allow for Schedule III, IV, or V controlled substances that are electronically created or transmitted, which includes PDA’s, either directly to a computer or via facsimile machine, be treated as an oral prescription.
Electronically transmitted prescriptions, including those sent via PDA, must contain an electronic signature of the prescriber."

Now, we analyze these sentences:

"DEA regulations allow for Schedule III, IV, or V controlled substances that are electronically created or transmitted, which includes PDA’s, either directly to a computer or via facsimile machine, be treated as an oral prescription.

That means to me as: If I see a script, I ask my self:
Is this C3,4,5 (not C2)?
If yes, C3,4,5 (not C2), continue. If C2, stop. do something else.

If C3,4,5, AND faxed to pharmacy or electronically sent to my pharmacy, then, treat as phoned script.

What do we do with PHONED script? We reduce to writing.
What do we do with FAXED script? We reduce to writing.

BE CAREFUL OF THE LANGUAGE HERE:
Reduce to writing
means: show writing on paper.
Reduce to writing does NOT mean MUST HAND-WRITE.
Reduce to writing means: You can type then print or keep faxed paper, if you have words in writing on paper, you have done the action called "Reduce to writing."

(Extra knowledge of computer: In case you do not know, in computer's world, we have something called E-FAX.
To save paper, you have the ability to receive FAX by computer AND just STORE IN YOUR COMPUTER, no paper out.
Why? Again, to SAVE PAPER.
Therefore, you can receive a fax and still have no paper. Fax, at this point, exists only in the computer.
You just have picture of the fax in your computer, just like an attachment of email. If you want to print, then, you print, then, you will have fax on paper.
I just want to share because you may not know such way exist to receive a fax.
Now, this way of TOTAL PAPERLESS is NOT allowed by pharmacy board. If your pharmacy does this (small pharmacy), the board wants you to print that fax out and keep REAL PAPER. That's what board means by REDUCE TO WRITING.) Then, after you have paper, verify with office, tech can date then sign (no need to waste time of pharmacist).

Therefore, in my practice, this is what I see and do daily:
If PHONED script,
We can type in computer (for example, type in Microsoft Word, seen at small pharmacies), then, print, then caller must date and sign in ink (no need to waste time of pharmacist). Then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.

We can HAND WRITE, then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.
If faxed script, we keep the faxed paper (the paper was reduced to writing by printer, no need to hand write), then, call office to AUTHENTICATE (to avoid fakers making fake script), then, caller date and sign in ink (no need to waste time of pharmacist). Then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.

If electronic script was sent electronically as data to computer, our computer printed out paper automatically. We keep the electronic print out as hard copy. We do NOT need to DATE AND SIGN IN INK. We do NOT need to call office to verify (Why? Fakers can not hack my computer yet !!! I will be wrong soon !!!) (That's how I see and heard at chain pharmacy. Anyone would like to point out that this is wrong in the law, please feel free to contribute, thank you in advance.)

(Side note about C2: Lately, we have C2 that were sent Electronically straight into our chain computer. Computer printed out a paper automatically. In computer, we can see clearly the electronic script. In our hand, we have print out as hard copy to put label on then file. We do NOT need to waste time to call to check with doctor or verify or authenticate with office, (per chain's policy from district meeting). I like this.)

Let's continue with the law from board's web site:

Electronically transmitted prescriptions, including those sent via PDA, must contain an electronic signature of the prescriber."

That means to me as: script must have electronic signature.
That means: signature could be any of these:
signature could be REAL SIGNATURE (If faxed.)
signature could be STAMPED SIGNATURE (If faxed.)
signature could be SCANNED SIGNATURE (If made by computer.)

signature could be "Signed electronically by Doctor Computer, M.D on 01-01-2011, at time: 1:11 P.M."
With that in mind, let's go back to the original question from the original poster:

If I receive a fax for controlled med, I will have 2 cases:
Case 1: If my fax is a PICTURE of a paper (image in the language of law), then, we often see picture with signature signed manually before the doctor faxed (or stamped signature). My job: my pharmacy employee must call office and verify (to avoid fakers making fake fax), then, caller must date and sign signature in ink. Then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.

Case 2: If my fax is a FORM that was printed (FULLY computer generated) at the doctor's office, then, the signature could be anything (STAMPED, SCANNED, "Signed electronically..." My job: my pharmacy employee must call office and verify (to avoid fakers making fake fax), then, caller must date and sign signature in ink. Then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.

Either way, if faxed, it does not matter if doctor signed manually or not, my pharmacy employee must call office and verify (to avoid fakers making fake fax), then, caller must date and sign signature in ink. Then, because it is phoned script, pharmacist must date and sign.
Then, after we verify, we have done our duty to treat that fax as PHONED script. And remember, in PHONED script, it does not matter if the doctor signed manually or not.
Therefore, if faxed, signature or not, verify by phone. Then fax is legalized as PHONED script.
Why verify either case?
The law said so.
Here's the proof:
START OF QUOTE: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Do I still have the option of faxing or phoning in a prescription for a Schedule III – V controlledsubstance?
Yes, prescribers can fax or phone in a prescription for a Schedule III – V controlled substance. However, a security feature on the new tamper-resistant security prescription form prints VOID across the face of the prescription when faxed, please use a regular prescription form for faxed prescriptions. Pharmacies will have to validate the faxed prescriptions."
+++++++++++++++++END OF QUOTE.

Let's BOLD UP THE LAST LINE:
"Pharmacies will have to validate the faxed prescriptions."
"PHARMACIES WILL HAVE TO VALIDATE THE FAXED PRESCRIPTIONS."
Therefore, if faxed, signature or not, verify by phone. Then fax is legalized as PHONED script.

Why my pharmacy employee can call and not me (the pharmacist)? The law said so.
Any one from my pharmacy can call. That means: clerk, tech, intern, pharmacist. Save time for pharmacist to triple check the med.
You worry? Check this out.
Source:
START OF QUOTE: +++++++++++++++++++++++++
Who can authenticate a controlled substance prescription? For example, verify a stamped signature, verify a prescription that appears to be copy, verify a typewritten date on a controlled substance prescription, or verify the source of new faxed-in prescription.
Pharmacists using their professional judgment and training are responsible for interpreting and evaluating a prescription. However, at a pharmacist’s direction a pharmacy employee may contact the prescriber’s office to verify/clarify non-clinical information contained on a prescription; for example, is the fax/phone number that of the prescriber? Of course, a telephoned prescription must be received only by a pharmacist or pharmacist intern (under the supervision of the pharmacist). The pharmacist is responsible for the accuracy of all information on the prescription documents and the prescription medication dispensed.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++END OF QUOTE.

Let me discuss this sentence:
"Of course, a telephoned prescription must be received only by a pharmacist or pharmacist intern (under the supervision of the pharmacist). "
That means to me:
If PHONED SCRIPT with CLINICAL INFORMATION, then, only pharmacist or intern can receive that phone.
If pharmacy calls to legalize a fax which had no date, or had no signature, or to be sure no faker faxed that fax, then, NON-CLINICAL information is being checked here. Then, any pharmacy employee can call (paid employee or non-paid employee can call).

Case in point: tech gets REFILL AUTHORIZATION by phone every day. Pharmacist does not have to waste time for that. What information do we discuss during that conversation?
Office: Hi, I am calling from office of doctor Ana to authorize refill.
Pharmacy: Thank you for your call. What's patient's name, birthdate, medication name, how many times, your name?
Office: Patient is Benjamin, ..., medication name is Carvedilol 12.5 mg, refill is okayed 2 times only, my name is Office Employee, what is your name?
Pharmacy: My name is Pharmacy Employee. Thank you for your call.

What did we discuss here in this phone call?
Non-clinical information that is deep enough that involves medication's name and milligrams. Is that considered to be CLINICAL? No. Just because the medication is mentioned does not mean CLINICAL. In this case. We agree such phone call is NON-CLINICAL. Any one from pharmacy can call office and get refill authorization. The key NEW INFORMATION is: refill is okayed 2 times only. Any one that is smart enough to work in pharmacy as clerk or tech can receive that correctly. No need to waste time of pharmacist.
With same reasoning, if doctor forgot to sign, any one from pharmacy can call because signature is NOT CLINICAL.

With same reasoning, if doctor forgot to date, any one from pharmacy can call because date is NOT CLINICAL.

That's my understanding.
I may be wrong or I may be right.
Either way, I welcome your input, comments and sharing thoughts.

Thank you, my friends out there. DNH.

Last edited:
Thanks LearnerSharer for sharing.
Let me follow your good heart by sharing how to study for California Law.

How did I do? I read the "Self Assessment" and imagine that I am the Pharmacist In Charge. I imagine that I have to answer all these questions and maintain my pharmacy to be ready for next inspection from State Board of Pharmacy.

I imagine that my friend from Student Doctor Network just gave me a tip that Pharmacy Inspector will visit my pharmacy in 48 hours. I have 48 hours to bring my pharmacy to best condition. I am sure I have to meet all these requirements in the Self Assessment.
For example:

Page 3, I see this:
YES, NO, N/A:
,,
1.5. The pharmacy sink has hot and cold running water. (CCR 1714)

I pretend to ask myself: Inspector will inspect in 48 hours. Do I have sink with hot and cold water? (Believe me, I witnessed a pharmacy that had no hot water for a few days. We fixed it quickly.)

Page 7, I see this:
YES, NO, N/A:
,,
A pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician trainee wears identification, in 18‐point type, that
identifies him or her self as a pharmacy technician or pharmacy technician trainee. (B&PC 680,
B&PC 4115.5[e], CCR 1793.7[d])
I pretend to ask myself: Inspector will inspect in 48 hours. Do I see all my workers with Name tag, is name big enough, with title?
(Again, believe me, I witnessed pharmacy with workers that have no name tag, I have seen name tag with name written in pencil in tiny size, I have seen name tag without title and I have no idea who this person works as (pharmacist, intern, tech, clerk?)

You see, by reading the Self Assessment, you can see in plain language, realistic law.
I know you know already but I have to share with you this fact: someday, you will be Pharmacist In Charge (maybe not at your own choice), you will have to complete this form every 2 years on odd year, 2015.
So, please spend your precious time on reading this Self Assessment form, then go read law book. Then, you will see the law book is not so far from reality.

To save your time so you can study, I include the link here and even the form here, latest as of 2013.
Here is the link to main page to get all forms: community, hospital...., to see links, please GO TO BOTTOM OF PAGE, find the place you work, look on the right side, click download. http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/app_forms.shtml

Self-Assessment Forms

Community Pharmacy Self Assessment (17M-13, Rev. 01/11)

Download

17M-13 With Updates (2013)
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/17m_13_ur.pdf

Download

Compounding Self-Assessment (17M-39, Rev. 02/12)

Download

17M-39 With Updates (2013)
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/17m_39_ur.pdf

Download

Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy Self-Assessment (17M-13, Rev. 01/11)

Download

17M-13 With Updates (2013)
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/17m_13_ur.pdf

Download

Hospital Self-Assessment (17M-14, Rev. 01/11)

Download

17M-14 With Updates (2013)
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/17m_14_ur.pdf

Download

Wholesaler Self-Assessment (17M-26, Rev. 01/11)

Download

17M-26 With Updates (2013)

Download

Good luck and please help others, thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• SELF ASSESSMENT, LATEST, FROM BOARD, FOR COMMUNITY PHARMACY, REVISION OF 2013, 17m_13_ur.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • HOSPITAL PHARMACY SELF-ASSESSMENT, 17m_14_ur.pdf
    717.3 KB · Views: 75

Attachments

• sample_cpje_quest.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 160